ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Developers: A Mention of Linux
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
excelblue
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Developers: A Mention of Linux Reply with quote

So... um, addressing the people in the topic:

Has there been any work done about a possible Linux client of ZDaemon 1.07.xx? If there is, how's it going? Also, what are the current plans for it?

Just checking back to see how everything is going. I've heard that Kilgore had some attempts to get a Linux ZDaemon client working, but wasn't too sure about the libraries back then. So, how's the process going? Also, if there is any libraries that are going to be used, what are they? SDL perhaps?

God, I wish I had the ability to code a dream so I could have gotten this done (but then, I might not wanna do it for the pain involved). Maybe the process would be faster if 1.07.xx was open sourced again (bringing that topic up, think it's safe to do so?).

Last edited by excelblue on Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Slasher
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thread ever!!! and theres no sarcasm on this post.

In answer to the last question.
Judging from what codeimp recently did , I bet he would be willing to spend some time making a new aimbot which imo, is much more damaging than taking zd away of us for some hours...
Hyper_Eye
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey... I have been around since the beginning of this thing, have developed a Linux launcher for Zdaemon, and have done nothing to threaten the Zdaemon community. I also don't use anything other then Linux and OS X so I am a big advocate of a client for these operating systems with Linux being the primarily desired one. If the Zdaemon heads decide they want to find someone to bring in to work on the Linux client I would at least think about the possibility. So if you guys just don't have time to do it or are kind of stuck think about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Da_maniaC
Now with new lemon fresh scent!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, i would have expected more of you excelblue.

1. http://forums.zdaemon.org/viewtopic.php?t=6584

There already was a thread right in front of your nose.

And the question was even answered there, so much for paying good attention i guess.

2. 90% off the world uses Microsoft Platforms, so its every freelancers godforgiven right, to only program what they please.
(Meaning that 10% wont have top priority, if NONE in the near future).
excelblue
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da_maniaC wrote:
1. http://forums.zdaemon.org/viewtopic.php?t=6584
There already was a thread right in front of your nose.

And the question was even answered there, so much for paying good attention I guess.

Whoops... I have a tendancy to discriminate against a week-old dead thread. Wonder how the hell I missed that. Maybe I shouldn't attempt posting after a stressful day at night again (where I lose all my thought and become a sudden noob).

Da_maniaC wrote:
2. 90% off the world uses Microsoft Platforms, so its every freelancers godforgiven right, to only program what they please.
(Meaning that 10% wont have top priority, if NONE in the near future).

True. However, do note the fact that the Microsoft platformer's needs have been met with a compatible port. By no means am I asking for top priority Smile. The release of the source code could have so much benefits, and I think it's been closed for about long enough (hopefully, the problem with the hackers has dissolved itself). Maybe a quiet release on svn would be nice after final twerks are done.
climhazzard
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not sticky this, there are 3 other threads for the same thing, so sticky this one so people stop making new threads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
[n00b]Adereth
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea. Can we get a title change first, though? "Developers, developers, developers" is Steve Ballmer's war-cry.
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this work to make a sticky and no-one replies now? Poof.

If there was 1.05 for Linux, how long would it take to code 1.07 into Linux? Would it not be better working on the code in C# or something so it could be easily run in Linux?

EDIT: Please ignore my comment about C#. It's a sucky language but it happens to be the one I know more than C
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hyper_Eye
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C# is MS shlig. The idea that it could possibly be more portable then C and C++ is crazy.
Zorro
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C# :O..... someone convert the doom engine to C++ by hand for me NOW! Laughing I would have really considered taking on the linux port too if it was any more possible :/

well, I guess WINE is there waiting for me Embarassed Smile
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atm wine is the best option. No point for Cedega as ZDaemon is software rendered. I would like to see native Linux clients running from the console though, to allow my elder computer that was once my Doom haven in the 90s be able to run ZDaemon for my little bro.

Is this possible? I don't know how many games work in Linux, but it seems most of them are compiled for a specific GUI like KDE or GNOME, and as my old comp is, well, old, is it not possible to use graphic drivers and linux libraries and shit (I don't understand Linux anywhere near as much as Windows, but I still like it more) to communicate directly with the graphics card? You already have hardware mouse support, or am I missing something? Hardly any modern games use hardware mouse, they are all software run from the desktop and are affected by Windows settings like acceleration.
excelblue
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea to get the games working fast in Linux is to use a game library that is written for Linux for fast communications with X.

The use of GNOME or KDE will not help the game be any faster. In fact it will actually make the game slower, considering that the game does not need to render any GUI devices.

The library that's going to be useful here is SDL. It's very similar to DirectDraw from what I've heard. The 1.06 Linux port of ZD is simply a replacement of all the graphics and sounds functions with SDL plus a bit of tweeking.

As for not using stuff like X11, etc. Well, X11 is as low as you can go, the mouse is not really emulated much at all. If you cannot even run something as simple as fluxbox, forget about anything like ZD. However, a SDL game can run by itself without a window manager. It can directly load on top of X11, which is esentially an advanced graphics driver.
Zorro
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah.... linux peoples are here Very Happy

I would not recomment using any GUI-specific libraries. If were thinking cross-platform, let's make it work across the whole entire platform were thinking of Wink
david-gross
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets all use DOS...im up or it...that will solve all this windows versus linux stuff...
joshsmith
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's make it for BeOS.
david-gross
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or even AmigaOS
[n00b]Adereth
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domains would love you forever and ever, I'm sure.

(AROS is your best bet when it comes to Amiga operating systems, if anyone dares take that remotely seriously. And whoever mentions Atari next gets shot.)
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshsmith wrote:
Let's make it for BeOS.

lmfao (as i'm sure anyone else who's read the Doom Bible will too)

doesn't get much more fitting than that Cool
Zorro
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOS would be neat, but were thinking of OSes people actually use Razz . Linux works very simallarly to DOS (from a noob standpoint) but has a much larger user base.

(Linux is hardly anthing like DOS if you know how to use it, but the syntax of the commandline and some other things are simmilar. Unlike DOS, which is 16 bit single-threaded; Linux is 32 bit multi-threaded. And it is open-source so there are ports to just about any platform imaginable Very Happy )

.... and it's free Twisted Evil
GhostlyDeath
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zorro wrote:
DOS would be neat, but were thinking of OSes people actually use Razz . Linux works very simallarly to DOS (from a noob standpoint) but has a much larger user base.

(Linux is hardly anthing like DOS if you know how to use it, but the syntax of the commandline and some other things are simmilar. Unlike DOS, which is 16 bit single-threaded; Linux is 32 bit multi-threaded. And it is open-source so there are ports to just about any platform imaginable Very Happy )

.... and it's free Twisted Evil

I still use DOS to play Doom using my Sound Blaster Pro Emulation (Built into my Aureal Vortex AU8830 Card), and to do other stuff like, Reinstalling Windows 98SE (And Resizing my Hard drives using FDISK).

You could probably hack DOS to get 32 Bit Support in there, or make your own DOS-OS that is independent (Doesn't run Windows nor Linux Programs).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Development All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: