ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Release a Linux ZDaemon please
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
[DemonSin]Cloud
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Release a Linux ZDaemon please Reply with quote

i now have linux and no windows adn i cant play zdaemon any more >< plz work on the linux zdaemon if you do ill love you all forever
[n00b]Adereth
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.zdaemon.org/viewtopic.php?t=6570

Hush up, now, y'hear? Or there will be napalm.
Hyper_Eye
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been posted quite a few times at this point. I want a Linux client as bad as the next guy. But, I am still able to play. ZDaemon runs in wine perfectly and you cannot tell the difference whatsoever. Run zdaemon in wine and use my launcher and nobody would even know wine was running. You join a game from the launcher, zdaemon comes up, and there is no sign of wine whatsoever outside of checking the processes.

I hope that one day the native client will be back but for now I am perfectly happy running this way. BTW, in order to use my launcher (gzlauncher) with 1.07 you need to use the current CVS. I am waiting for the Linux client to release an official gzlauncher for 1.07 (though I would consider it if anyone actually asked for it but nobody has yet.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
meta-ridley
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyper_Eye wrote:
This has been posted quite a few times at this point. I want a Linux client as bad as the next guy. But, I am still able to play. ZDaemon runs in wine perfectly and you cannot tell the difference whatsoever. Run zdaemon in wine and use my launcher and nobody would even know wine was running. You join a game from the launcher, zdaemon comes up, and there is no sign of wine whatsoever outside of checking the processes.

I hope that one day the native client will be back but for now I am perfectly happy running this way. BTW, in order to use my launcher (gzlauncher) with 1.07 you need to use the current CVS. I am waiting for the Linux client to release an official gzlauncher for 1.07 (though I would consider it if anyone actually asked for it but nobody has yet.)

just regular wine? no cedega?
[DemonSin]Cloud
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: wine?????????? Reply with quote

wine i cant even get xdoom running on linux anyone know how the hell to install anything
[dp]FairLight
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use cedega/wine/vmware for now
Hyper_Eye
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meta-ridley wrote:
Hyper_Eye wrote:

just regular wine? no cedega?

Personally I use Cedega but it is unnecessary in this case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
excelblue
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Hyper_Eye"]This has been posted quite a few times at this point. I want a Linux client as bad as the next guy. But, I am still able to play. ZDaemon runs in wine perfectly and you cannot tell the difference whatsoever. Run zdaemon in wine and use my launcher and nobody would even know wine was running. You join a game from the launcher, zdaemon comes up, and there is no sign of wine whatsoever outside of checking the processes.[/quit]

From my experiences, whenever you connect to some servers, you'd get a few problems with the mouse turning left for you even when you're not moving, and also a choppy sound problem when connecting to the servers. Also, you'd have a few issues with the fullscreen mode. Other than that, support is pretty good.

HyperEye wrote:

I'd just release one right now... oh wait, um, I think I just want a copy that doesn't crash after zdaemon exits, and one that still refreshes while zdaemon is running.
Hyper_Eye
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not crash when zdaemon exits for me. If you got a backtrace it would be helpful. As for it refreshing when zdaemon exits... I have been meaning to get around to this since the first release of gzlauncher. I will get to it as soon as I have a chance. Since we are talking about it anyway here are the things to expect in the next release:

Allow interface to refresh while the child process (zdaemon) is running.

Buddy List - This will use a right-click pull-down on player names to allow adding. You will then be able to view their status and join their game if they are currently playing.

Password dialog for password protected servers.

Those are the features I plan to implement by the next release. These things don't take much time but my time is very limited.

I also want to say that after the things on the TODO are completed I will stop development on the current gzlauncher code. I am going to create a new interface (similar to the current one as I like the simplicity of it but it will be a bit cleaner) and write a cleaner code base. It should not take long as I have all the functional code for the features in the current gzlauncher but it should provide a more superior launcher. This will hopefully help bring zdaemon closer to being on par with playing on Windows (as I feel the launcher is the only thing truly lacking.)
[DemonSin]Cloud
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUT I HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO WOR ANY NEW SYUFF I CANT EVEN GET XDOOM TO WORK ><
deathz0r
Custom Title

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[DemonSin]Cloud wrote:
You should probably start using Windows again, then.
Da_maniaC
Now with new lemon fresh scent!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deathz0r wrote:
[DemonSin]Cloud wrote:
You should probably start using Windows again, then.

Laughing
excelblue
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[DemonSin]Cloud wrote:

Get on IRC, start asking for help.

##linux on irc.freenode.net is a good resource.

wine does get a bit confusing to work with, but in general, you run a Windows app like this:
Code:
wine app.exe
instead of
Code:
./app
as with regular Linux apps.
antus
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux zdaemon - me too!
Got it running with cedega, but it wasnt quite right. I had a list of server options that I could change that Im sure I shouldnt have, as well as no way to change my name from "player" (well, I could, but it wasnt reflected in game). Dual booting is annoying, and especially since there was an organised doom session with mates the other day, and at that time windows decided to crap out and my usb keyb and mouse stopped working. If there was a linux binary there would have been no problem (as all was working fine there). But I expect nobody cares enough to make one and since there is no availbale source I cant work on it either. Ho hum. Damn. All I can do is whinge and complain. :(
[DemonSin]Cloud
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: gee Reply with quote

wow you guys really help ...........*not* wow and im not going back to windows i want to be a programmer so linux is a good place to be Razz
[n00b]Adereth
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you totally missed the thread I linked to in the first reply, and thus missed the following lovely bit of information:

Kilgore wrote:
Hm... maybe you misunderstood me; that was about servers: not clients. There will be an announcement as soon as we have a working linux client.

It's in development. Wait, foo'.
Mike.Reiner
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running FedoraCore 4 and Slackware 10.1 using WINE, zdaemon ran perfectly fine for me, in fact, save the loss of midi, it ran flawless.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Danni
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: gee Reply with quote

[DemonSin]Cloud wrote:
wow you guys really help ...........*not* wow and im not going back to windows i want to be a programmer so linux is a good place to be Razz

I code, I use Windows. ??
MikeJones
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No No No

Windows PWNS

Linux MEh
The Ultimate DooMer
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be, but Linux is our only hope of getting QW back Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Development All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: