ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nOOb hosting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corbachu
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: nOOb hosting Reply with quote

Exactly how do I host a server? Zdaemon got complicated over the months and I have no idea what to do.
Please give me a walkthrough. I have cable and am eager to do some damage Smile
enVision
A.K.A. Rat-Arsed

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Very Happy

Well, in order to set up a server you must edit your 'zerv.cfg' which is in your zdaemon directory with all the other files.

Open 'zserv.cfg' with wordpad before you read on.
NOTE: some things might appear in colour on this explanation, but it's all just black text in your zserv.cfg, so don't g around looking for red numbers Wink )

// This cvar must be set to a positive value in order for the server
// to run. It might also be a good idea to customize the other cvars
// for your server.
set cfg_activated "0"

you must set the above value (in red) to 1 to enable your server, otherwise when you start up zserv32.exe, it won't work.

.// Set the MOTD that all incoming players see in spectator mode
.// <BR> tags just like HTML are line breaks
set motd "Welcome to<br>Rat-Arsed's UK Server<br><br><br>This is a UK Server for European People!<br>Dont whine about your ping if you arent european"

Thats what the message will say when you first join my server.
By default it is 'Welcome to Zdaemon 1.4' (I think).
Anywho, change it to what you want (the red bit)
If you want to start a new line type in <br> .

The next few bits are self explanitory such as your e-mail address and where the other players can find the wad you have on your server (if any). Don't worry about that though, most people know where to get .wad files from anyway.

// Set the number of connections your server will accept
set maxclients "6"

^The maximum amount of players that can connect to your server.

// Set the number of players who will be allowed to join.
set maxplayers "6"

^The maximum amount of players that can join the game.
Change both of the values (in red) to what you want.

// Will this server require a password to join? 1=Yes; 2=No
set force_password "0"

The above line is incorrect and you must change it to avoid confusion. Change it to:

Will this server require a password to join? 1=Yes; 0=No
set force_password "0"

So, if you dont want your server to have a passwod on it, leave it alone, otherwise set it to 1 if you want it passworded.

// If the server does require a password, set the password here
set password "password"
If you want your server to be passworded and you've changed the value from 0 to 1, type your password in where it says "password"

// Deathmatch game? 0 - No. 1 - Yes.
set deathmatch "1"

You've heard of Deathmatch and cooperative right? well, set the value to 1 for deathmatch and 0 for cooperative.

// Skill? 0 - I'm too young to die. 4 - Nightmare.
set skill "4"

I wouldn't see any reason for your to change this value.

The next line wil have something called DMFLAGS on it. Being new to this, you should leave it alone until you know what you're doing.
When you finally get your server going and you change the setup for your server (things such as 'Allow Jump', etc.) and apply the changes you'll notice it says DMFLAGS now "218116". The idea is you set up your server how you like it and the next time you start your server up, it resets itself. So basically, every time you restart your server, you have to make your changes again.
when you've found a setup you like and won't change very often, make a note of the number and replace the dmflags value in zserv.cfg with the number you just wrote down.

Don't worry if you don't understand that yet, but you will later on.

// Set the amount of time (in minutes) each level should last
// Set this value to 0 to ingore this option
set timelimit "0"

Self explanitory really. if you want a game to end after 10 minutes, change the value from 0 to 10, otherwise leave it.

// Set the number of frags required to complete the level
// Set this value to 0 to ingore this option
set fraglimit "50"

Self explanitory again, change the value to what you want the frag limit to be.

The next line will have be a maplist. its just like 'program' on your CD player in which you tell it which tracks to play in which order, but in this case its with maps.
Change the order to what you want and to add a new line just copy off the above lines.

And finally, Rcon. This enables you to make server changes such as map changes or player bans whilst in the game, rather than exiting the game and going to serv32.exe and making the changes there.
I find it harder to use rcon at times, so i advise you to leave it alone.

Thats your zserv.cfg sorted. you'll now find that if you launch zserv32.exe it'll actually work!
you can click on 'setup' and make the changes that you want. Notice how after you've made the changes the DMFLAGS change.

Heres some basic commands you should know:

When in zserv32.exe, on the white dialogue line, type:

/map mapxx

where xx is the map number your want.

/addbot

adds a bot Razz

to talk to the other players just type what you want to say as normal (without the / before it).

If you launch zlauncher.exe whilst you have your server running, you should see you serve ron the master list. (if not e-mail me or something and i'll see if i can help).
when you join your server you'll find that you're on DooM 2 map01. Theres plenty of map01 servers about and no doubt you'll want your server to have a pwad on it such as brit11.wad.
Now. there are many ways of doing this, but me liking things to be quick n'all i use a .bat file.
In my .bat file is the followg line (all one line):

D:\Games\DooM\Zdaemon\zserv32.exe -file D:\Games\DooM\Wads\RattedBeta2.wad -maxclients 6 -maxplayers 6

This is telling zserv32.exe to load RattedBeta2.wad into my server. If i want a different .wad, i'll change it to what ever i want. For example:

D:\Games\DooM\Zdaemon\zserv32.exe -file D:\Games\DooM\Wads\Dwango5.wad -maxclients 6 -maxplayers 6

Pretty simple to use. It also has the maximum players and connections aswell, saving me to open up zserv.cfg and edit that.

Once you have your server running, normally, I'll send you a .bat file for you to edit or you can even create a one yourself.
If theres anything you don't understand or if you get stuck just say so, i'll be glad to help Smile
Xenaero
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ good job on the explaination! Very Happy

but you left one little thingy out. Razz

if you have the wad files in the same DIR, you can just use D:\Games\DooM\Zdaemon\zserv32.exe -file dwango5.wad

and if you want to join your own server you do something like this: D:\Games\DooM\Zdaemon\zdaemon.exe -file dwango5.wad

make SURE that your client (zdaemon) has the same "-file" parameter as the server (zserv) otherwise things would get very freaky indeed....ONE MORE THING! you can't see your own server on zlauncher.
enVision
A.K.A. Rat-Arsed

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

megasmash wrote:
ONE MORE THING! you can't see your own server on zlauncher.

Yes you can Very Happy
Xenaero
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rat-Arsed wrote:
megasmash wrote:

Yes you can Very Happy

i think what you're talking about is you host your server on one comp and play on another comp. you can't see it when you host it on the same computer. Razz
deathz0r
Custom Title

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megasmash wrote:
Rat-Arsed wrote:
megasmash wrote:

Yes you can Very Happy

i think what you're talking about is you host your server on one comp and play on another comp. you can't see it when you host it on the same computer. Razz
Yes you can, I've seen my server many times before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
enVision
A.K.A. Rat-Arsed

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Xenaero
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well then WHY THE HELL CAN'T I?! Evil or Very Mad

BTW, has anyone noticed that some ppl who regestered here have the same names in the original bots.cfg?
enVision
A.K.A. Rat-Arsed

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Laughing
Xenaero
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rat-Arsed wrote:
... Laughing

you know that smilie IS REALLY GETTING ANNOYING
enVision
A.K.A. Rat-Arsed

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Smile, in in the aid of fun man.
Lyfe
Puts the 'Z' in ZDaemon

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on how your network is setup in your house, determines whether or not you can see your own server in the launcher. For a number of people, this means they cannot, becuase they have these "home routers" or other NAT devices to share one connection among several computers.
There's also the case of people using windows ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) which is a very VERY poor implementation of NAT (network address translation). Several people have fallen into this category, and those who do will not be able to see their own servers, nor will ANYONE be able to play on it, because of the way windows ICS handles port assignment.

Anyway.. that's probably more detail than I needed to mention, but to wrap it up: the ability to see your own server depends on how your network is setup. Course, this is also part of the reason why real servers aren't run from typical home connections.
Russell
MANTASTIC!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cough* *cough* my avatar owns yours Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
deathz0r
Custom Title

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megasmash wrote:
BTW, has anyone noticed that some ppl who regestered here have the same names in the original bots.cfg?
I'm 100% sure that I've already answered this question yesterday.

EDIT: And I did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Xenaero
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deathz0r wrote:
megasmash wrote:
I'm 100% sure that I've already answered this question yesterday.

EDIT: And I did.

oops, lol.

Lyfe wrote:
Depending on how your network is setup in your house, determines whether or not you can see your own server in the launcher. For a number of people, this means they cannot, becuase they have these "home routers" or other NAT devices to share one connection among several computers.

i have a home router, so that answers my problem
magicsofa
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to run a server, but I couldn't see it on the master list. So, I went onto my other computer (they're networked together) and still couldn't see it.

However, when I went to Server->Custom IP Adress (or something to that effect) and entered my IP, I saw the server, but I think it was just within the network?
enVision
A.K.A. Rat-Arsed

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if a server is within a network i'm sure the ip address is something like 165.0.1. I think, anyway.
Raider
Lazy Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because you can't see your own server in the list, doesn't mean that others can't. It is quite common for that to happen.

You don't need to use the "specify custom ip" option. The only time that would be needed is if you purposely set the "master_advertise" to zero. In other words, if you WANT your server to be hidden, then others would need the custom ip option to be able to connect to it.

Check with others to find out if your server is visable before you go crazy changing stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: