ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Small Gesture for Toke's Family and Friends
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DX-Chain
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Small Gesture for Toke's Family and Friends Reply with quote

*The details of this small project are yet to be worked out 100%, but I'm actively discussing with the Chicago people attending the road trip to Oklahoma--updates will come as I get them*

Hello boys and girls,

As we all know, one of the DooM community's most notable figures has left us. The overwhelming show of support in the various forums is only a small indication of how much he is valued. [DUI]Eyes, as well as a few others thought "Wouldn't it be great if the family and loved ones in his town were actually able to see all the letters/words people wrote about their son and friend?"

Now, we hope this will pick up steam in the next few hours, since we're trying to think what the best way would be to go about this. The purpose of this is to ask you, the DooM/Zdaemon community for a small letter that we can actually personally hand to Toke's loved ones.

The letter itself can be something similar to the kind words you've written on these forums. It doesn't have to be overly fancy--just something that lets them know in what way Toke has touched your life...online or otherwise.

It's better if the note has a formal tone/format: "Dear McIntosh family [...] Sincerely, Luis 'aka Chaindude' *last name*...(or whatever applies in your case)."

A simple 1-page Word/WordPerfect .doc file should do the trick. The final detail will be deciding how we'll go about these. Depending on when I hear back from Eyes, there are two possibilities:

-We will print these out and enclose them in an envelope with your name/details. Your submission can be e-mailed to: dui-eyes at hotmail dot com.

-If you prefer something more private and personal, you can send the completed, sealed letter/envelope to Eyes' PO Box here:

To: Dylan "Toke" McIntosh Family, CC: Steve Lee
P.O Box 492
Hobart, Indiana 46342 - USA

Please postmark your letter or note by August 28th, to allow delivery time. The tentative date for our departure is the weekend of September 8th, 2006.

Think about it Smile. Just a few minutes (or hours, depending on how personal the letter) of your time will mean quite a bit to his family. Even better if we get the same number of letters as we did forum posts, we'd probably need one of those DooM crates to put all the letters in!

We are typically around #doom on the Zdirc server. Feel free to stop by if you have any questions. Both me and Eyes are in the channel at about 7PM Central. Stay tuned for details.

-Chaindude Smile

Last edited by DX-Chain on Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Dan
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Idea. Expect mine soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
URdead
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I urge you all to write something, chaindude and I ([DUI]Eyes-t) are looking for at least 50-100 letters to give to his family. So please PLEASE take 15 mins of your time, and write something, either a memory that you have of toke or how much of a gifted mapper he was. Also, if you also have any pictures of you and toke, please make double copies of it so i can put together a photo album

Even if you want to just copy and paste what you wrote in the forums, and email it to me that is fine also Smile

dui-eyes@hotmail.com
Slayer420
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you guys, this will mean alot Smile
tourettes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will sure write something, i dont know if I could fill a whole, page but I will try.
Nitus
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that even a few lines on a postcard would be appreciated.

Thanks, guys, for organizing something like this. I'm sure it will mean a lot to the family, and it also means a lot for those of use who have no other means of expressing our sentiment.
Dark Linux
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant hand write worth the crap but i wanna send in something none the less.

I think that i might type it up and send it thru the forums as a seperate personal thread.
Admiral-Shakal
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please dont hesitate, its the very least some of you can do.
unsunghero
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sticky? Surprised
Englander
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK stickied.
_BahdKo_
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's a great idea

However

The best effect I had when Noskill died was to show his wife the forum links directly. It made a big difference to her.

When someone close to you dies, part of you doesn't understand how the world is going on around you as though nothing happened and nobody noticed. Her seeing the big threads on the message boards apparrently combatted that feeling for her, and let her not feel so alone. She had no idea that Noskill was being paid attention to anywhere but with the (relatively few compared to the doom scene) people who knew him IRL. Then, she discovers that a whole internet community, a sizeable one, is there with her. She said it helped.

A project like the one described is good, but the best possible job would be done by that plus, additinoally, someone contacting Dylan's parents directly and getting them the doomworld and zdaemon thread links. The contact should be ASAP, that is, Now. Today.
_BahdKo_
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't believe I had to write that post... I actually met his parents when they drove him up for that first LAN, when he was 17. :( I never pictured or imagined myself ever needing to do such a thing.
Englander
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a tribute to him on the ZDReview system a few days back, out of huge respect for his mapping, of course the mapping is irrelevant but I hardly knew Toke unfortunately and it was the only way I could show my tribute to him.
deathz0r
Custom Title

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_BahdKo_ wrote:
A project like the one described is good, but the best possible job would be done by that plus, additinoally, someone contacting Dylan's parents directly and getting them the doomworld and zdaemon thread links. The contact should be ASAP, that is, Now. Today.
Don't forget the Skulltag thread either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
scylla
Dominating!

Location: Belgium ----- Posts: 9871 ----------Joined ZDaemon : 2001 '30th march

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K , i'm going to send a postcard too. Sad , don't look at my faults ore my handwrite becaus its ugly
DX-Chain
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses Smile. I agree with Badkho that showing the threads is the easy way, but this is simply for whoever wishes to make it more personal and meaningful.

Besides, I think I ran into a post that said "dude toke inspired me to get into hard drugs blah blah blah." That's not exactly a nice reminder for his family to see when they browse these or other forums. I think that particular post was deleted thank goodness Razz let's hope nothing similar pops up, while it may be someone's way of remembering Toke, there are better ways to express their feelings publicly.
Cadman
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: The Tribute Reply with quote

I am willing to come out of my self imposed retirement for this and contribute an old school DM for Toke...his contributions to this community have been beyond measure and I owe him that! If you want me to contribute a map please let me know! Thanks!
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that'd be great and see here Cadman:

http://forums.zdaemon.org/viewtopic.php?t=8730
Da_maniaC
Now with new lemon fresh scent!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The least we can do for Toke's relatives.

Consider it done. Smile
URdead
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far i recieved only a handful of emails from people, My dad said he will check the PO Box for me on monday, come people i know you can do this!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: