ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gamemodes, their WADs, and How to Implement them.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BestOfTheWorst
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ceder wrote:
Rescue the imp needs revival and I'm there.

If you want, you can contribute maps for the next version (RescueImps1e.wad), just contact me on ZDirc Smile (Worst-vd-plas)

At the moment the current version (RescueImps1d.wad) has only one map, as I got kinda lazy on the project Razz

ceder wrote:
But this time I think it would be better if the imp was a bottle of spicy chipotle sauce. That would actually give incentive to the attacking team to get it. I mean who can resist the flavor of spicy chipotle? Confused

That wouldn't be Rescue the Imp anymore! Mad Sad
Zombie
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I thought of maybe making an A*A style 1-flag ctf, and players could only spawn once. Unfortunately, it's...impossible in zdaemon. But hey, it can be done with respawns, I guess.
Zorro
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, any way of getting a player to drop a key when they die?
[n00b]Adereth
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of.

The problem is that there's no way to spawn an actor at the location of an arbitrary other actor. We're left with spawning the key at a fixed location.

Code:
script 1 DEATH {
    thing_spawn(T_REDSKULL); // or whatever
}

EDIT: Also note that until the mystic Danni-Brand­® ACS Improvements­™ show up (originally/possibly expected for 1.09), actors spawned by scripts that can be removed from the map entirely (pickup items) will not be removed from the clients' views after being picked up.
ZERO99
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about a sort of elimation or last man standing type game style?
that would be intresting. or how about king of the hill?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
[n00b]Adereth
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For elimination/LMS, just have bars come down over the spawn areas after a few seconds to stop people from joining the game after it's started--the dead won't be allowed to, either.

King of the Hill involves a lot of ACS code. I'll post a theory on how to implement it in a separate thread tomorrow. It should work, though.
ZERO99
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can do Razz i was learn acs i dont know what happend lol :S oh well there is so many people who can do it for me Very Happy but i would like to learn some form of programing but this aint no programming thread is it Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Zorro
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want my slade 2. I refuse to map untill I get it >:[ xD
Zorro
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a really good idea for a counter-strike style assault mode complete with one-life-action (LOL). Just unsure on how to handle the bomb. I guess it can be done with a key but when the player drops it it would have to respawn an a map spot. that makes making each map 1MB big or putting it back at the start.
tourettes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zorro wrote:
I have a really good idea for a counter-strike style assault mode complete with one-life-action (LOL). Just unsure on how to handle the bomb. I guess it can be done with a key but when the player drops it it would have to respawn an a map spot. that makes making each map 1MB big or putting it back at the start.

I think we could live with each map being 1mb, just split each map to being its own wad, like it is on counter strike.
Zorro
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont want to draw 1mb worth of lines though
[n00b]Adereth
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldn't technically need to, I think.

If you can divide the map up into 10x24 regions, just draw 10 lines going one way and 24 going the other, then superimpose them on the level. They don't have to be connected to anything, and they can overlap without having nodes--I believe ZDaemon will still recognize it when a player crosses such a line.
Zorro
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on your map editor Razz. Not a horrible idea.
Zorro
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, whats dumb about CS:S is if terrorists are trying to get the bomb to a destination and a CT kills the one with the bomb, why not just chuck it over a fence?

Now about all those map spots, each with unique TIDs x_x

EDIT: oops, double post
lockwolf
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see how CS:S would work.

Divide the map up into sectors
If person has a object being the bomb (Key?) dies, a replacement is spawned in the middle of the sector
If the person gets to the bomb zone, there is a seperate bomb spawned there that looks like a time set bomb
If the bomb is set, the CT then have to make it to the bomb spot and stand on it within 30 seconds for 5 seconds

idk, thats just a rough theory
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
[n00b]Adereth
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onslaught

For more information, totally see this thread. I had a really, really fucked up idea for how to implement this using very little ACS, but I decided against it as doing so would be unspeakably complicated and tedious, and I'm still not certain how how complete it would be. Instead, work with Tortilla and its friends, which will be fully functional with 1.09.
Quiksilver
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm honestly not trying to bump this for bumping's sake, but I have yet to see alot of those game modes implemented. Has anybody tackled these game modes and tried to create them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we've seen Deathball and obviously Domination. Onslaught is also playable, but requires some 1.09 goodness. Double Domination will also come with 1.09.

Personally, I've implemented Flag Assault (reverse one-way CTF), and Push Domination (reverse tug of war), both for 1.08. There's also some other silly concepts floating around like Capture the Keys, but nothing has really advanced forward into a full-fledged product yet, mostly because of small nuances that may be moot once 1.09 is about.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I should get the 'how to' for Domination updated.

Quik, while none of those URLs in the OP are functional anymore, that's not to say that nothing was ever produced for them. Ie Adereth and I produced some Assault maps, I had a very bare Onslaught demo and Worst pretty much invents a new working gamemode every single week.

The problems with any of these things are threefold:
One, functionality - often the implementation is overly hackish or just downright buggy.
Two, marketing - some people will run around-the-clock bot servers or promote them by hand, by sitting in them all day and night, some people will have a bunch of friends and clan members behind them to help push their product up the populated server list. Others will not.
Three - supply and demand. A lot of these concepts are too confusing or of such niche appeal that they have serious work to get anyone to love them, play them or even map for them.

Anyways, if you never saw it, then I suggest you check out AK-01's Assault. Grrrr... there's supposed to be a .doc file in the zip with it, to help you make sense of it. But hopefully you can get the idea. Thing was that there was only ever one map made for it, so how much repeat play is anyone ever going to get out of that?

P.S. Can anyone hook a brother up with capturestrike? I've always want to see it, but I can only ever find dead links.
rygrass
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Assualt Wad we played that quite a lot over in oceania!

Played like 4-6 rounds a week for quite some time which was hosted by my or jstb4udie for a good ( 1-3 months )

it is really fun, took a few goes to figure out what was going on but by the time we got the hang out of it was it awesome i must say i wish it was played more.

I think the most we ever got in term of players was like a 6 vs 6 or 7?? i have some demos and screenshots around but i would have to dig deep to get those out Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Wad Editing All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: