ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Request for comments: 1.09 changes
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Request for comments: 1.09 changes Reply with quote

After much deliberation with staff and expert players we are considering implementing the following changes for the improvement of gameplay in 1.09:
  • Given the aimbot problems and the resulting unfair play, ZDaemon will come with its own built-in aimbot. This however means that projectile weapons will be at a disadvantage to instant hit weapons. We could restore the weapon balance by adjusting all projectiles to become more like homing missiles (ie., they follow their target). Imagine the fun of a whole stream of plasma balls all following their target.

• It's true that the looks of the game are kinda old and we need a facelift. A simple way to improve it is to change the color of all projectiles every 2 ticks in a semi-random fashion to cover the entire color spectrum. A rocket for example could start its flight in the brown color, then change to gray after 2 ticks, then change to red and so on. Same applies to the BFG ball as well as each individual plasma ball: each gets its own changing colors. You must admit that it will make the game much more colorful.

• Same idea with the above, but about chat messages. The players won't have to bother inserting color codes: the system will do it automatically for you. I have not checked it in real action yet, but they tell me that this will *vastly* improve the legibility of text.

• Another major annoyance that needs to be dealt with is the infamous red screen you get when you absorb damage. That's so annoying it must simply go: it will be replaced by a small red mark on the edges of your screen coupled with a drastically reduced moving and maneuvering speed for a few (10) seconds when you get hit.

• Yet another problem is the lack of excitement in gameplay; these days it seems it's always SSG and SSG and more SSG. The game will become much more exciting if ZDaemon replaces the "simple" weapons in a map by the "power" ones. For example, all SGs replaced by RL, all SSGs by BFG and all CGs by Plasma. That will put an end to all those boring games and it will be the standard behavior from now on. We are considering adding an optional DMflag to revert to the old behavior, but it's doubtful it will ever be needed.

• The final item is the phasing out of the DM/TDM modes in favor of new, objective based modes. One could think of bomb defusal / hostage rescue scenaria, but we decided to be more faithful to the game, so the chosen mode will be called "Rescue the Cybie" and it goes like this: one team keeps a Cyberdemon hostage and the other team tries to rescue it and bring it to a designated point. As normal with cyberdemons, he might not be very cooperative towards either team. So, if you're leet enough, you will manage to bring him where you want. Oh, and a last thing: if you die, you remain a spectator for the duration of the round. That's as close as it gets to original Doom gameplay.
All of the above are near completion and we're presenting this list for a final discussion before releasing them to the public. Please post any feedback here. TIA
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking forward to that last one very muchly! put me down for beta testing of 'Rescue the Cybie'!

if it's not too late to implement, well, i often have problems with glare on my screen from the sun - yes even in England, but only on the days when i'm up in time to catch it Laughing could i suggest that the existing colour display be done away with and we switch to a higher contrast monochrome look? that would truly make Zdaemon complete for me.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed so. i asked and have now played the new game mode Very Happy i think it's safe to say no-one will miss duels, CTF and FFA when they see it. here's a taster:

[n00b]Adereth
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applaud these gameplay changes. Can't wait for the colour features!
Da_maniaC
Now with new lemon fresh scent!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one Kilgore. Laughing
TimeOfDeath
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be the best ZDaemon yet!
So when's 1.1 coming out?
Exl
I hate penis like vegetables.

Location: North of the fries, east of the wieners, west of the tea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully shortly after 1.0.999
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, what happened to the 'Rescue the Cybie' server? I don't see it anymore. I haven't had so much fun since I first played CTF... Sad
[n00b]Adereth
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exl wrote:
Hopefully shortly after 1.0.999

1.09.99, actually.
bwidger
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. that is genious.

however, i'm not so sure about the whole homing missle and plasma ball thing. that would make expierenced players worse and noobs better. shouldn't skill be something you earn?

also, replacing the SSG would suck for all the fans who love the SSG. that, combined with the homing, would give noobs a cheating advantage in my opinion. though, i understand putting a BIT more RL and PLAS in some spots would be considerate but to over do it would be a huge mistake if you asked me. The super shotgun is a monumental....uh...thing... when it comes to Doom. I remember playing Doom in the old days and just flippin at the chance to shoot another imp 10 feet back. Maybe adding a device to send players who die flying from the shotgun blasts would be cool.....kind of like the RL but less dramatic.

anyways, i'm really looking forward to a lot fo what this new upgrade will bring! can't wait! i know a lot of what have siad probably won't make a bit of difference since the new version is almost completed, but hopefully you take into consideration some of my dislikes. not saying that the new version to come are going to be worse than the previous ones, but is there andy possible way for people who would rather play the 1.08 version to be able to while others play the 1.09 version? for instance, instead of manditory 1.09 for each person you could give players the choice to choose different versions. hear what i'm saying? or is that just impossible. thanks.
[n00b]Adereth
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwidger wrote:
The super shotgun is a monumental....uh...thing... when it comes to Doom.

No it isn't. It's a Doom 2 thing. OUT, OUT NOOBS OF STUPIDITY!
bwidger
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not you again...
Rolling Eyes

plz, if you have nothing constructive to say then SHUT YOUR YAPPER
_KE9_NecroMage
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Request for comments: 1.09 changes Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
stuff about gameplay changes
alright, this has got to be a really bad april fools joke. you could atleast make it more realistic

if its not then i am quiting zdaemon and going to skulltag
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry... I forgot to mention that the homing missiles will also display the name of their target. It will give a new meaning to the term "a rocket with your name on it".
Nestea
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwidger wrote:
however, i'm not so sure about the whole homing missle and plasma ball thing. that would make expierenced players worse and noobs better. shouldn't skill be something you earn?

also, replacing the SSG would suck for all the fans who love the SSG. that, combined with the homing, would give noobs a cheating advantage in my opinion.

OF COURSE NOT!

We at the ZDaemon Corporation find, through extensive years of research, that nobody really loves the SSG. Instead they would prefer homing missiles and colorful plasma balls! On the contrary, it would make noobs worse and experienced players better! Am I right? Of course I am! It's completely Oldschool/Newschool/Preschool!
bwidger
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nestea wrote:
bwidger wrote:

also, replacing the SSG would suck for all the fans who love the SSG. that, combined with the homing, would give noobs a cheating advantage in my opinion.

OF COURSE NOT!

We at the ZDaemon Corporation find, through extensive years of research, that nobody really loves the SSG. Instead they would prefer homing missiles and colorful plasma balls! On the contrary, it would make noobs worse and experienced players better! Am I right? Of course I am! It's completely Oldschool/Newschool/Preschool!

That's nice and all--your extensive yrs and research i mean--but a little explanation would be nice. Are you serious? NOBODY loves the SSG? Tell me how a homing missle wouldnt give noobs more fighting power? Huh, hello? Homing = follows. Noob with gun...shoots... folllows.... no skill. On the other hand SSG...skill. And what the hell is Oldschool/newschool/preschool neways? Preschool!?
fodders_DS
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the date fool Twisted Evil
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Request for comments: 1.09 changes Reply with quote

LOL

Last edited by Evolution on Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Da_maniaC
Now with new lemon fresh scent!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant honestly believe some ppl in this thread fell for it.

Have a bright moment guys... Wink
bwidger
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys really that bored with life? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Development All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: