ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good book/movie rocommendation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrath
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Good book/movie rocommendation Reply with quote

I've been looking for a new book to read but I'm in the mood for something new and worth reading. I was hoping you guys could give me some recommendations for 1 book and 1 movie that you think everybody should see. Reasons behind which and a brief description would be helpful minus any spoilers included.

A book that I would recommend would be 1984 by George Orwell. It's setting would be something like what America would be like in it's not to distant future at our current rate of war and insecurities.
The movie however is a hard choice because I don't watch many movies but I would recommend the new movie 'V for Vendetta'. Follows the same lines of America's future.

Your input would be most helpful.
[NewB]LiNk
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reccommend the "Cronica de una muerte anunciada" of "Gabriel Garcia Marquez", no idea if that book has his translation to english Sad but i recently readed that one.

I also readed the "I Robot" book by "Isaac Asimov" because of a homework, i liked it.

Movies, new ones I don't know, but I like the comedia ones, so maybe if u like 'em, any of Jim Carrey is OK (Ace Ventura or Me, Myself and Irene) Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Resident Evil book series are also very cool.

You can order them here: http://www.campusi.com/title_Resident_Evil.htm

Not the offical strategy guides offcourse. Razz
niv
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Good book/movie rocommendation Reply with quote

[SIN]wrath wrote:
I've been looking for a new book to read but I'm in the mood for something new and worth reading. I was hoping you guys could give me some recommendations for 1 book and 1 movie that you think everybody should see. Reasons behind which and a brief description would be helpful minus any spoilers included.

A book that I would recommend would be 1984 by George Orwell. It's setting would be something like what America would be like in it's not to distant future at our current rate of war and insecurities.
The movie however is a hard choice because I don't watch many movies but I would recommend the new movie 'V for Vendetta'. Follows the same lines of America's future.

Your input would be most helpful.

Fiction:

If you like 1984, you should read Animal Farm by the same author (Orwell).

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.

Anything by William Gibson.

Nonfiction:

Anything by Al Franken, Cornel West, Barbara Ehenreich, Noam Chomsky.
Gollum
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm oddly drawing a blank for my list of books that everyone should read, so I guess I'll go with the most memorable one I've read in the past couple months. The Book of Saladin by Tariq Ali is a historical fiction novel -- actually, Amazon.com reviews can probably sum it up better than I can. I thought it would be boring when I read its description, but I was surprised at how fascinating the novel turned out to be. The author's writing style is superb, in my opinion. I also liked it because, as this is a Christian country, I'd never read about the "other" side of the Crusades in textbooks or anything like that.

For movies, everyone should see the independent film Pi. Actually, not really, it's just the only good movie that comes to mind that not everyone has seen already. It makes you think and is entertaining because of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
lippy
overactive hormones

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen King all the way, try Cell.
DemonChildXP
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gollum wrote:
For movies, everyone should see the independent film Pi.

I thought Pi was a pretty good movie; however I would suggest also checking out Darren Aronofsky's follow-up movie to that "Requiem for a Dream". It's a really great movie and shows how quickly ones life can decay through various events.
unsunghero
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. Cool
Wrath
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Good book/movie rocommendation Reply with quote

niv wrote:
If you like 1984, you should read Animal Farm by the same author (Orwell).

Yeah, Animal farm was good. Although it was short (only a 2 day read) it was really well done. Basically a satirical allegory of the Russian Revolution. The pigs of the farm led a revolt against the masters and then developed their own government. Shortly after the government was born, the pigs become corrupted by power and a new tyranny is established under the pig 'Napoleon' (Stalin).
Great line from the book went something like 'All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.' The pigs were such noobs Rolling Eyes
rjf
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: books/film Reply with quote

Okay you asked for it

This is what one Ive been reading:

Politics:Christopher Hitchens -No one Left to Lie Too The Triangulations of William Jefferson Clinton.I myself enjoy Noam Chomskys work too(N
iv's avatar makes sense after checking out that list of authors)

Fiction:Italo Calvino-Mr.Palomar,Gore Vidal-Burr(historical fiction,also Myra Breckinridge is a fun read by same author)

History:Albert Speer-Infiltration(Der Sklavenstaat),some pan this book but i find it a very intersting read,Einhard-Life of Charlemagne(aka in Latin as Vita Karoli Magni)

Essays:Montaigne-The Complete Essays,might sound a little stuffy but this is a great work,also you should check out Orwells collection of essys

Horror:Only one guy to read-H.P.Lovecraft

Sci-Fi:Go for anything by Philip K. Dick

Ive Blathered enuff here,as Gollum noted hit up amazon for reviews of the above authors/books.

Okay Movies-Ive been on a Blake Edwards kick,nuff said Cool
fodders_DS
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

read Holy Blood holy Grail
read The Davinci code
Watch crash
Fred512
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

everyone should watch the Doom movie. that way you know what a motion picture should NOT be.

as for books, you should read the Space Odyssey books by Arthur C. Clarke. that guy is awesome.
[NewB]LiNk
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the titles in spanish of some Stephen King books, if u can translate it maybe you know

La niebla
Eso
El ciclo del hombre lobo

Those are the ones who i've already read of this great author, also it's a hitler book, here is called "Los hornos de Hitler" but don't know title in english, sorry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
climhazzard
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Dog Go
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
scirmast
Da Po-po

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For movie I strongly recommend V for Vendetta. It is one of the few Hollywood movies that make you think.

Oh and better watch it in a theaterif it is still on.
nogame4me
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Books and movies, woohoo!! Reply with quote

It's already been mentioned, but I'd have to say that Animal Farm by George Orwell left quite an impression on me. I did read it at an impressionable age, but after reading it, I became much more attuned to the bigger picture in whatever I did or observed. The book satirizes the Russian Revolution and the Soviet Union under Stalin, but even as an American child in the late 20th century, I saw parallels for Old Major, Snowball, Napoleon, Benjamin, Boxer, et al in so many different contexts.

My official book recommendation for the purposes of this thread is Nerds 2.0.1 - A Brief History of the Internet, by Stephen Segaller. The space program and the Internet were conceived around the same time, but only now is the Internet getting its just due, and it cost a whole lot less to boot. Nerds 2.0.1 chronicles the trials and triumphs of the geeks, misfits, programmers, and engineers, among others, whose work made Zdaemon possible.

As for my movie recommendation, it's a crying shame you're limiting me to just one. I've got a spreadsheet with at least 130 "must see" flicks. How am I supposed to pick just one?! Razz Well you asked for something recent, and since nothing that's come out recently makes my top twenty of all time, I get to nominate two: Munich and Good Night, And Good Luck. Both are very good movies with tie-ins to historical events (the Israel/Palestine question and censorship/McCarthyism) that are as pertinent today as ever. And just in case history isn't your thing - you can always watch the best action movie of all time, Ronin, which is fairly recent.

========================================
Now that I've officially responded to the thread, here's an unofficial supplement for those who care to read it.

They're not for everybody, but I'm a big fan of the Sherlock Holmes mysteries by Arthur Conan Doyle. The mini-novel A Study In Scarlet is the first in the series. It's an easy, entertaining read. Other fiction I recommend: The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury and Ordinary People by Judith Guest. For younger children, I recommend the Soup series by Robert Newton Peck and The Great Brain series by John D. Fitzgerald. They are written more for boys, but girls might like them, too.

If you're in a mathematical mood, then read A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar and watch Darren Aronofsky's Pi. If you're in a criminal state of mind, then read Mario Puzo's The Godfather and watch Francis Ford Coppola's Godfather trilogy.

I can go on all day about movies, but I'll try to keep this list on the short side.

Best of the Best: The Matrix, Dr. Strangelove, Office Space, Forrest Gump, Doctor Zhivago, Wonderboys, Murder On The Orient Express
Action: Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels and The Professional (a.k.a. Leon)
Chick Flick: Steel Magnolias
Comedy: Amelie and O Brother Where Art Thou
Documentary: The Buena Vista Social Club
Drama: Chinatown, Go, Hoosiers, The Hunt For Red October, Lean On Me, Metropolitan (1990), The Right Stuff, Schindler's List, The Shawshank Redemption, Traffic, The Usual Suspects
Suspense/Thriller: Fargo, Frailty, The Game, The Others
War: Apocalyspe Now and Saving Private Ryan
Western: The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly and Unforgiven
Wrath
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Books and movies, woohoo!! Reply with quote

nogame4me wrote:
It's already been mentioned, but I'd have to say that Animal Farm by George Orwell left quite an impression on me. I did read it at an impressionable age, but after reading it, I became much more attuned to the bigger picture in whatever I did or observed. The book satirizes the Russian Revolution and the Soviet Union under Stalin, but even as an American child in the late 20th century, I saw parallels for Old Major, Snowball, Napoleon, Benjamin, Boxer, et al in so many different contexts.

My official book recommendation for the purposes of this thread is Nerds 2.0.1 - A Brief History of the Internet, by Stephen Segaller. The space program and the Internet were conceived around the same time, but only now is the Internet getting its just due, and it cost a whole lot less to boot. Nerds 2.0.1 chronicles the trials and triumphs of the geeks, misfits, programmers, and engineers, among others, whose work made Zdaemon possible.

As for my movie recommendation, it's a crying shame you're limiting me to just one. I've got a spreadsheet with at least 130 "must see" flicks. How am I supposed to pick just one?! Razz Well you asked for something recent, and since nothing that's come out recently makes my top twenty of all time, I get to nominate two: Munich and Good Night, And Good Luck. Both are very good movies with tie-ins to historical events (the Israel/Palestine question and censorship/McCarthyism) that are as pertinent today as ever. And just in case history isn't your thing - you can always watch the best action movie of all time, Ronin, which is fairly recent.

========================================
Now that I've officially responded to the thread, here's an unofficial supplement for those who care to read it.

They're not for everybody, but I'm a big fan of the Sherlock Holmes mysteries by Arthur Conan Doyle. The mini-novel A Study In Scarlet is the first in the series. It's an easy, entertaining read. Other fiction I recommend: The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury and Ordinary People by Judith Guest. For younger children, I recommend the Soup series by Robert Newton Peck and The Great Brain series by John D. Fitzgerald. They are written more for boys, but girls might like them, too.

If you're in a mathematical mood, then read A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar and watch Darren Aronofsky's Pi. If you're in a criminal state of mind, then read Mario Puzo's The Godfather and watch Francis Ford Coppola's Godfather trilogy.

I can go on all day about movies, but I'll try to keep this list on the short side.

Best of the Best: The Matrix, Dr. Strangelove, Office Space, Forrest Gump, Doctor Zhivago, Wonderboys, Murder On The Orient Express
Action: Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels and The Professional (a.k.a. Leon)
Chick Flick: Steel Magnolias
Comedy: Amelie and O Brother Where Art Thou
Documentary: The Buena Vista Social Club
Drama: Chinatown, Go, Hoosiers, The Hunt For Red October, Lean On Me, Metropolitan (1990), The Right Stuff, Schindler's List, The Shawshank Redemption, Traffic, The Usual Suspects
Suspense/Thriller: Fargo, Frailty, The Game, The Others
War: Apocalyspe Now and Saving Private Ryan
Western: The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly and Unforgiven

I havnt read but have herad good reviews from close friends about the martisan chroniclesand I've read Ferenheight 451. I thank evetybody for their input. I'll let you know which book I tackle next.
[DMG]CryoSabre
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i especially like the runelords series by david farland, if you are a fantasy fan look them up
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also nods in agreement for Ray Bradbury, Philip K Dick, William Gibson and H.P. Lovecraft. i have a lot of time for the works of Jeff Noon too Wink

and finally, some Doomers who know 1984. glad my Ministry Of Love map won't be completely lost on people Very Happy
Nitus
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sci-fi

Niven: Ringworld
Asimov: Foundation
Pohl: Gateway [my favorite novel, maybe]
Baxter: Manifold _____, Raft, any xeelee timeline stories
Bova: Rock Rats
Chalker: Wonderland Gambit
Julian May: Sentient Milleu series
Misc: Dangerous Visions; Again, Dangerous Visions

Fantasy

Eddings: Belgariad [all others get progressively worse over the years]
Duncan: Man of his Word, King's Blades
Donaldson: Thomas Covenant
Jordan: D&S epic Wheel of Time
Weis&Hickman: Death Gate cycle

Misc

Straub: the Throat [prolly best novel on this list], Shadowland

the Destroyer [series of fast, fun action novels about Remo Williams]

King: Dark Tower series, the Stand [original, not expanded version]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: