ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Rules for October Tourneys
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> European Tournaments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samiam
G-String Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: New Rules for October Tourneys Reply with quote

As you are probably all aware, despite our best efforts 'no shows' in the tourneys are still a major problem. As an additional aid in weeding out no shows we have decided to introduce a min exp level required for each tourney, these levels are easily obtainable to players who are here and active, and will set a guideline for admins to follow on who to let enter.

Min Exp points needed to enter the Novice Tourney - 500
Min Exp points needed to enter the New School Tourney - 1000
Min Exp points needed to enter the Intermediates Tourney - 2000
Min Exp points needed to enter the Open Tourney - 3100

We have also created a channel on ZRC away from the madding crowd called #zdtourneys - here you will be able to talk to tourney admins in peace if needed and leave your opponants messages with the Bot.
Aurelian
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF! this is the most stupid idea i ever see. what about those who dont have no exp points and want to enter a tourny... like some ctf players, or new clan members etc
izm_
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll get Aurelian to nake fake, and let me collect some Exp. Wink
[dp]FairLight
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Codeimp wrote:
you do not have enough experience points to talk to me.
Poignant
Still Spamming

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea is to ensure NEW faces don't sign up to never return.
[dp]FairLight
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poignant wrote:
The idea is to ensure NEW faces don't sign up to never return.
well, that totally helps people like izm or other ctf lovers, because some of them have low ammounts of experience between 300-1000, since you know ... ctf servers don't collect experience
Poignant
Still Spamming

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And since when was they new players? We are not aiming at players we know are going to show up so it will not be a problem for most CTf'ers.
[dp]FairLight
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, izm is a bad example tbh, as people know her because she's quite active in the community and a popular mapper. but what about the random n00b that downloads zdaemon, finds out he only likes ctf and plays that all the time (without being a monster so people would recall him), so after 3 months he decides to sign up for the intermediate tourney and sam checks for his exp ... boom ~150 (because he played a few ffa games). bad luck in that case i guess.
Poignant
Still Spamming

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he was active for 3 months he would be able to join. However we are getting alot who sign up and don't play much more after its just a way for us to try and ensure we will be getting players who are going to stick around.
[dp]FairLight
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just discussed this issue with raider, i guess it makes kind of sense, especially when there's gonna be a new experience policy.
Samiam
G-String Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah don't worry it's not a hard and fast rule, players we know or see on a regular basis will be fine even with lower points. I've been doing the tourneys for over a year now so can pretty much predict 80-90% of who the no shows will be. What we are doing is emailing people we don't know (we had one already signed up for the open with a nick and ip thats never been used on ZD, pretty common and they do get removed) to let them know. If they reply with a good reason why theres no exp or seem genuine in that they want to play then it's up to the admin, we get a lot of Czech players for example coming in for the ctf tourneys who also decide to sign up for another type of tourney.

What does seem to happen every month is people signing up after/before installing zd, they maybe play a few games that day then vanish. These are the type of people we are hoping to eliminate, as these are the bulk of people who are no shows. Everyone is checked for an alias anyway so we should be able to pick up clan tag changes etc that way.

At the end of the day the min level is pretty low, if someone does miss out on one months tourney, they should easily be able to get enough for the next months.
Aurelian
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samiam wrote:
yeah don't worry it's not a hard and fast rule, players we know or see on a regular basis will be fine even with lower points. I've been doing the tourneys for over a year now so can pretty much predict 80-90% of who the no shows will be. What we are doing is emailing people we don't know (we had one already signed up for the open with a nick and ip thats never been used on ZD, pretty common and they do get removed) to let them know. If they reply with a good reason why theres no exp or seem genuine in that they want to play then it's up to the admin, we get a lot of Czech players for example coming in for the ctf tourneys who also decide to sign up for another type of tourney.

What does seem to happen every month is people signing up after/before installing zd, they maybe play a few games that day then vanish. These are the type of people we are hoping to eliminate, as these are the bulk of people who are no shows. Everyone is checked for an alias anyway so we should be able to pick up clan tag changes etc that way.

At the end of the day the min level is pretty low, if someone does miss out on one months tourney, they should easily be able to get enough for the next months.

right... well thats better then, i thought you ment not let anyone in if they didnt have enough points, even if it was someone like envision or so. but i guess thats a pretty good way of showing that someone will stay playing throughout the tourny
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hate the idea
Konar6
Prepare your eyes!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evolution wrote:
hate the idea

Why?
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes sense. Any suspicious noob accounts have their EXP checked, and are denied entry to the tourney if they don't fit the requirements. I see it is alsoo used to make sure no "newbies" enter the Open Tourney?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is dumb... why aren't we allowed to do what we want to do. Yeh sure any noob can enter the tourney.. so what? Then your just have a bit luck. In this way less people would play and still have problems with no registrations.

People know by them self to enter novice first etc. They will notice... but this is dumb. And hmm, exp? What if you don't play lame FFA? After all FFA sucks here. And playing with 1on1 is less exp. I have 2754.... because I don't play much servers with exp. So now this says I am inactive? What is this for bullshit!?

Yes Aurelian gots a point, new clan members, then you make new account and start with 0. Anyway any n00b still can play some FFA and has 3100 quick.... and doesn't even notice you need this 'EXP'... Confused
Samiam
G-String Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are checked for aliases anyway, so that covers clan tags, also people we know like Izm and you for example don't come under the points system. This was done purely to stop the no-shows, and after 17 months of running the tourneys I'm pretty well able to predict who 90% of the no shows are. The points system is working very well, look at the tourneys before and after it was introduced if you still think it's a bad thing, look at the amount of DQ before to after, and also consider that those slots that would still be being taken up are now being freed for people who do actually intend to play.

The level of points needed isn't hard to achieve, we had a meeting between tourney admin to decide what to set them at. If a new player wants to enter they'll be able to get enough points for the next months tourney and also prove they haven't just come here for the day.

Also if you look at the registrations you'll see that all the tourneys are pretty much full, they would all be full if we'd spotted someone who'd signed up for two sooner but anyway, we don't have a problem with no registrations.

In summary, we have full tourneys of people who will play (can't avoid some no shows sometimes), and play at a level suitable to them. Cutting down peoples frustration at no-shows, and providing a more enjoyable tourney all round. Proof is in the pudding anyway, this has been running for 2 months and has already proved effective.
Tomsa_x
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is really good thing. I just wonder why it wasnt introduced earlier... We run this system on gamezone eversince, becouse this stops people who just register and than vanish. And tourney is for people who WANT to play, really...
HumanBones
Boner!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take into account that many players who are regulars dont have much exp. If I know they've been around for a while and will most likely be a reliable player, than I let them play. The whole system is to prevent aliasers as well as no shows. If they can prove themselves to be reliable, to me at least, I'll let them play in any tourney they want, because I know they'll show up. If you'd like more aliasers and no shows, we can set it back, and everyone can whine when their oponnent doesnt show Smile
Poignant
Still Spamming

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HumanBones wrote:
I take into account that many players who are regulars don't have much exp. If I know they've been around for a while and will most likely be a reliable player, than I let them play. The whole system is to prevent aliases as well as no shows. If they can prove themselves to be reliable, to me at least, I'll let them play in any tourney they want, because I know they'll show up. If you'd like more aliasers and no shows, we can set it back, and everyone can whine when their opponent doesn't show Smile

Yeah, I'm the same if I know them or see them around alot they can play.

Its not hard for us to tell if anyone is active or how long they have been playing even with new accounts. Its not in place to prevent you playing in them its in place to try and cut back on no shows.

As you know I run the int and novice and so far this has worked I would not call it bullshit it was a much needed system that makes it a more enjoyable event for all. We certainly never struggled to fill them this month with all been full within two days of registration even with the exp rule in place. Its not exactly hard to gain the exp.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> European Tournaments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: