ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WTF CTF names?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> European Tournaments
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should you be able to see the other teams names?
Yes
51%
 51%  [ 15 ]
No
37%
 37%  [ 11 ]
I couldn't give a flying fuck
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 29

Vampire Knight
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: WTF CTF names? Reply with quote

This is a big mistake imo, i know that everyone has the equal oppurtunity to dl this feature but i think its going to seriously affect the complection of CTF.

You should be only allowed to see your own team mates, otherwise a team can base their strategy around one player i.e. the best player, which gives them a distinct advantage (if the other team just has same skilled players) whilst singling out another player isnt fair on him.
CTF is a great game and it has always been fun to play, now i think such steps are complicating it and making it more serious than it needs to be, this is just my opinion though...

What is everyone elses view?
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Vamp, but I'll disagree. My intention in implementing that, was clearly oriented towards revealing the opponent names because I believe in full disclosure. I also disagree with the assertion that it will "ruin" CTF: it applies to everyone and you can devise tactics to compensate for/exploit it just like you do for everything else.

Anyway, I consider this feature such a no-brainer improvement that I won't even try to convince you that it's good or whatever (ie., our views on that are so far apart, it's hopeless). If you don't like it, petition the server admin to remove the dmflag (that's why it's a dmflag and not something built-in); but I'm not making a half-target name thing. Sorry.
Vampire Knight
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
Sorry Vamp, but I'll disagree. My intention in implementing that, was clearly oriented towards revealing the opponent names because I believe in full disclosure. I also disagree with the assertion that it will "ruin" CTF: it applies to everyone and you can devise tactics to compensate for/exploit it just like you do for everything else.

Anyway, I consider this feature such a no-brainer improvement that I won't even try to convince you that it's good or whatever (ie., our views on that are so far apart, it's hopeless). If you don't like it, petition the server admin to remove the dmflag (that's why it's a dmflag and not something built-in); but I'm not making a half-target name thing. Sorry.

alrighty ill do that then.
[dp]Eclipse
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disagreed, it is best to see, so you can decide what to do.. that's really shitty explained so ill say this.

lolol Titan is homing in for the flag stelthily, and if you see his name, you may know his pattern and sus him out, which is great for a defender..
Hmm thats a shitty explaination eh? >_<
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF CTF names? Reply with quote

Vampire Knight wrote:
This is a big mistake imo, i know that everyone has the equal oppurtunity to dl this feature but i think its going to seriously affect the complection of CTF.

You should be only allowed to see your own team mates, otherwise a team can base their strategy around one player i.e. the best player, which gives them a distinct advantage (if the other team just has same skilled players) whilst singling out another player isnt fair on him.
CTF is a great game and it has always been fun to play, now i think such steps are complicating it and making it more serious than it needs to be, this is just my opinion though...

What is everyone elses view?

I agree. It is easier to spot someone when someone is hiding and the name appears. If you don't see it but your aim does see it heh, the name appear so you can shoot and know where he is. That's a pitty, then it is harder to hide and easier to spot. So it isn' really a bad idea.
ufon
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think it could be even possible singling out one player and base your strategy on that, if you have more players in your view, you certainly dont have enough time to look at each of them(to display the name) and then decide to go after one u like, at least i cant see how you could do that and turn it into your advantage
Aurelian
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before i even seen your post Ufon, i thought exactly the same thing, your gonna shoot anyone that comes near you, well i do anyway
Titan_66
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i think that it should be on a public server without doubt. There is not serious game, there is fun. And the possiblity to see nicknames is great another addition. However, question is if that will be suitable for tournament games. Iam not sure about that.

I thought that this is possible to disable on a relevant server. We could test some serious 3 vs 3 games with and without, and we will see.
Vampire Knight
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titan_66 wrote:
well, i think that it should be on a public server without doubt. There is not serious game, there is fun. And the possiblity to see nicknames is great another addition. However, question is if that will be suitable for tournament games. Iam not sure about that.

I thought that this is possible to disable on a relevant server. We could test some serious 3 vs 3 games with and without, and we will see.

Yes thats what i agree with. Im all for having it on public servers because its a good idea and itll make it even more fun to play. However, tournaments are a different matter and i think it would be a bad idea to implement them into one (straight away anyway).
Tomsa_x
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes. There is a problem that nickname appears even in situations, when you dont see the other player... Attackers often hide at enemys base and wait for good situation to grab the flag or they hide even with the flag there and wait for support. This tactics will be so much harder now, becouse a lot of hiding places are now useless:((.

And yes, this is a problem for tournaments, not for funny games, where I really like that I can see who I shot Very Happy.

Solution should be that nick appears only if you see whole marine, not only a part as it is now. OR for example nick would appear when you point at enemy and klick a button (specified one or just any except for moving keys....is that possible???). This would make it 1) fair, that you can miss enemy attacker in your base, no harm on tactics and gameplay 2) You can reveal anyones identity, so you know who you deal with 3) It would do just everything it was made for!!! 4) I think it is the best option:))).
Vampire Knight
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomsa_x wrote:
Well yes. There is a problem that nickname appears even in situations, when you dont see the other player... Attackers often hide at enemys base and wait for good situation to grab the flag or they hide even with the flag there and wait for support. This tactics will be so much harder now, becouse a lot of hiding places are now useless:((.

And yes, this is a problem for tournaments, not for funny games, where I really like that I can see who I shot Very Happy.

Solution should be that nick appears only if you see whole marine, not only a part as it is now. OR for example nick would appear when you point at enemy and klick a button (specified one or just any except for moving keys....is that possible???). This would make it 1) fair, that you can miss enemy attacker in your base, no harm on tactics and gameplay 2) You can reveal anyones identity, so you know who you deal with 3) It would do just everything it was made for!!! 4) I think it is the best option:))).

Some nie ideas here tomsa Smile i think your on the right lines, its gunna be a big problem in tournaments as there are alot of factors, like you and i have mentioned, that could alter the style of CTF for the worse.
ufon
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok it indeed seems like it shows a name even when you are not sure there is player somewhere, happens rarely but it does

but im totally against the suggestion of having to press a key to show the other player's identity, i mean everyone is so fast now, i dont have time to be pressing buttons when engaged in a fight - do you ?

my big wish would be having a name displayed above all your teammates, it does help to know you are attacking alongside titan or defending with someone else next to you without having to point your screen at them - i believe this idea got scrapped early in the dev process tho

anyways, even maybe a bit faulty, im still glad we have the names there
Tomsa_x
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but im totally against the suggestion of having to press a key to show the other player's identity, i mean everyone is so fast now, i dont have time to be pressing buttons when engaged in a fight - do you ?

Heh. When you are in a quick combat, fighting your opponent with SSG fastly, with stron reflexes.....DO YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW WHO IS HE? No... you need it just a few times, making it only under some conditions, when you should TACTICALLY need it.

In fact I thought that this possibility (point+press) will be just for tournaments etc. Public servers should stay in these lines it is now.

Some more ideas:
You can reveal players nickname in two ways: by shooting him (but not only pointing at him, it is still fast and instant way, and dealing the problem of course)+ the way I thought (point+press button) when you need to know who is he, but not to shoot immediatelly (sneak attacks, silent chasing...). This should be ok now for quick battles ufon, right? Btw I agree with you that your teammates should have nicknames over themselves all the time, or just keep it in the way "point and see"...

You should reveal players nickname and the nickname should stay until the person dies, or for liited amount of time (5s)... so you dont have to hold the key for longer time or twice etc...

There are a lot of possibilities how to improve these details. Thank you Kilgore and all of you from zdaemon team, that you care about this, read these threads and deal with it (both accepting and refusing ideas...)!!!
Vampire Knight
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok perhaps i should have worded it clearer then:

Should CTF names be allowed in Tournament matches?

I dont have an issue with the names per se, its just i can see many flaws in the idea when a tournament match is being played.
[dp]Eclipse
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes
nogame4me
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: WTF CTF names? Reply with quote

This feature does change the game a bit, but I think it's alright. When I had the flag, I made it a point to not engage the LPBs. However, there have been a couple of times when I didn't see an opponent until his name popped up on my screen. This happened when I was chasing a flag runner once, and that's how I knew where he had gone. But what really freaked me out was when I had the flag and I thought I was alone and safe. Then an LPB's name popped up on my screen and I was like, "Shit! Shit! Where the fuck is he?!" Once I spotted him, I quietly shadowed him so I could avoid a duel.

About making opponents' names visible only when a key is activated... would it be possible to circumvent this by using binds, e.g. bind the "show name" key to your movement keys with an alias? If so, then it's probably not the best approach. Maybe opponents' names should be visible only if their full body width is visible. But for now, I'll say that this new feature, even as currently implemented, is a nice addition.
Soulstrike
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is bullshit about the names. Why the hell would you want to know who they are?! It wouldnt make any difference apart from you might know that the player is better than you Confused But at the end of the day, you are still going to try and smear his ass all over the screen with an SSG anyway Smile So IMO i think it is just a load of hastle on the poor bastards that have to include it. I dont think that it is worth it, but that is my oppinion!
DRS
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why the hell would you want to know who they are?!
If you really don't care who they are, just disable it client-side.
Konar6
Prepare your eyes!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is not good idea in CTF (in FFA yes); while opponent is hiding behind a pillar, in normal circumstances it is very hard to see him, even if hes far away, you cant; but if i look on that pillar, a name appears. This happened to me very often and it is a mistake.
saiyenpride
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are lots of pros and cons for it

but i do also agree in tourny games i dont like the fact that the enemy knows who i am before we even start a shoot out.

whereas for fun its nice to see who u can shoot and if its a friend u might stop by him to have a friendly shoot out at a given chance.

so i dno i say just take it away on tourny servers but keep it up for the fun games ^_^
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> European Tournaments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: