ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LB for the current 3v3 CTF tourney?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> European Tournaments
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want a LB?
Yes
81%
 81%  [ 13 ]
No
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Don't Care
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 16

Samiam
G-String Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: LB for the current 3v3 CTF tourney? Reply with quote

I decided we should do this as a poll, so can people and only people in the current 3v3 ctf tourney vote. If you don't know what a LB is, it's basically double elimination, teams knocked out of the main tourney go into the LB so it makes up for bad random draws, the winner of the LB plays the winner of the main tourney...... the winner of that is the ultimate winner of the tourney.

This poll has a time limit of 7 days, so vote soon please Smile
izm_
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say no. If you're picked against a good team, or no team.. that's just hard luck. It's the pick of the draw and once you're out you're out. That's the good thing about a 'knock out' kind of tourney.
Vampire Knight
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

izm_ wrote:
I say no. If you're picked against a good team, or no team.. that's just hard luck. It's the pick of the draw and once you're out you're out. That's the good thing about a 'knock out' kind of tourney.

Well thats why i would prefer seeding, but as we are not having seeding's, i say yes to a loser bracket, this gives the best teams who are piched against each other the chance to face one another twice, in later stages, it also makes the tournament more exciting with big teams still left in.
Titan_66
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure it should, because without LB is tourney fu***ng short even for a winner. 1-4 matches is really poor imo. CTF is very favourite last year, it deserves bigger tourneys. I know that each vs each is not possible (too long but really 100% fair) but one can lose in first match = the end - too quick - very cruel. And there is no perfect ctf team which is able to win always. CTF is not so obvious like 1on1 is (i know that player A is better than player B but in the CTF - everything is possible - there are not too big skill differences) Look at the 1on1 tourneys, there is quite long process. Each team deserves second chance.
Ballero
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Titan and Vamp, LB is good for all... Cool
Tuomio
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, yeah. But i dont know did i understand this correctly, u mean that the teams who have lost, fights the other teams who have dropped too?
for example: A fights B, B wins. C fights D, D wins. Then A and C would fight. Sorry for my bad english but u should understand it lol. I hope so.
Dave Lister
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey sam, with LB there is one thing concerned, the final game is between the winner of winners bracket (lets call them team A) and winner of losers bracket (team B). but while B already lost one game (that's why they're in LB), team A goes to final without any loss. So, team A should have slight advantage over team B. For example:
* team A chooses color
* when its tie (0-0, 1-1, 2-2) team A wins, no sudden death game
* when team B wins by one (2-1, etc), sudden death game follows
This is just proporsal, maybe needs some more discussing and then should go into rules or somewhere so that players not used to LB know.

I'm posting this because before Oblacek tourney final we didn't know what advantage should one team have.....
ufon
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Lister wrote:
hey sam, with LB there is one thing concerned, the final game is between the winner of winners bracket (lets call them team A) and winner of losers bracket (team B). but while B already lost one game (that's why they're in LB), team A goes to final without any loss. So, team A should have slight advantage over team B. For example:
* team A chooses color
* when its tie (0-0, 1-1, 2-2) team A wins, no sudden death game
* when team B wins by one (2-1, etc), sudden death game follows
This is just proporsal, maybe needs some more discussing and then should go into rules or somewhere so that players not used to LB know.

I'm posting this because before Oblacek tourney final we didn't know what advantage should one team have.....

ya i agree, its not fair when you beat a team once, then lose to him in the final basically the score being even(1-1 on games), but the other team gets the tourney win because it just so happens there is no second chance for the losing finalists, so the first match played should definitely be taken into account(even if the line-ups in the first game were different)

another thing, which is related to the first one is that there should be clear rules on who is entitled to what side(color) - for any given match. Its not always possibe to agree with the other side.
Samiam
G-String Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the proposals so far, but isn't the team colour better now it's been changed? Also I'm not sure of who gets 3rd and 4th place where LB are concerned could you let me know how it's done on gamezone? I also need to figure out an LB spider for 19 teams if it's possible. Any ideas?
Tomsa_x
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samiam. 3rd should be loser of WB final, 4th loser of LB final...this sounds sensible and I think (well quite sure about this) that gamezone tourneys are taken like this.

LB for 19 teams should be the same as LB for 32 teams, since it IS 32-collum bracket for the first round, isnt it? Just the first round will be cutt of as 1st round of WB. Problem will be how to fit LB for your normal bracket system... this should be perhaps done on special page, but I really dont see into your zdeamon paging system, so you will have to work it out somehow Sam...
Vampire Knight
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuomio wrote:
Hmm, yeah. But i dont know did i understand this correctly, u mean that the teams who have lost, fights the other teams who have dropped too?
for example: A fights B, B wins. C fights D, D wins. Then A and C would fight. Sorry for my bad english but u should understand it lol. I hope so.

Yeah thats right, its losers vs losers.
Ragnarok
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion there should be no match between the winnner of the LB and the WB. I think the winner of the WB should be number 1 and the winner of the LB should be number 2.
Tomsa_x
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragnarok wrote:
In my opinion there should be no match between the winnner of the LB and the WB. I think the winner of the WB should be number 1 and the winner of the LB should be number 2.

Definitelly NOT!!! All teams that lost one game should have a chance...that is the purpose of LB. And so they should have a chance even to win! One match can get wrong to anyone...two are less probable for the best team.

What is more, system is done and wotrks fine for ages, it is nothing new. So why to change it? In duel tournaments, the winner of WB goes to final with 1:0 lead. Winner of LB must beat him twice in a row, so he must PROOVE he deserves to win!!! This should really be applied in here as Dave "Cinzano Bianco" Lister mentioned.
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the winner of the LB will be the winner of the LB and the winner of the WB will be the winner of the WB. Simple.
Samiam
G-String Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomsa_x wrote:
Samiam. 3rd should be loser of WB final, 4th loser of LB final...this sounds sensible and I think (well quite sure about this) that gamezone tourneys are taken like this.

LB for 19 teams should be the same as LB for 32 teams, since it IS 32-collum bracket for the first round, isnt it? Just the first round will be cutt of as 1st round of WB. Problem will be how to fit LB for your normal bracket system... this should be perhaps done on special page, but I really dont see into your zdeamon paging system, so you will have to work it out somehow Sam...

Thanks for that Tomso, yep it's the fitting them in our brackets thats the real problem....... oh well i'll figure something out.
Dave Lister
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inf_spacepirate wrote:
No, the winner of the LB will be the winner of the LB and the winner of the WB will be the winner of the WB. Simple.

eh Rolling Eyes

ok, let me explain....

In single elimination tournaments (w/o seeding), it's _not_ guaranteed that final game will be the most interesting one. Two best players can meet as soon as in first round. One loss, as name suggests, means you're eliminated. So, in worst case you will play only one match. Also only first place really matters, you can hardly tell second and third place, yes you can, but it's not accurate.

Double elimination (WB and LB) is system when one loss still gives you a chance to win whole tournament. Giving two matches minimum for anyone. It guarantees that two best players/teams will meet in the final match. Also you can tell who's third and fourth.

What you propose might be simple but it's also not very clever......why not allow two best teams to match in the final game?

There is an article about double elimination on wikipedia. There is also image with two spiders, so you can see it in action. So anyone who doesn't understand double elimination system can read above article or ask here, as Tomsa said, it's nothing new and it's used in tournaments for some time.
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting point. I think I didn't get it right.

Nice explanation.

Wink
Samiam
G-String Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok teams I need your help with this, most of you know how the LB works. We have a slight problem here as we have 10 teams for the first round LB. DoP got DQ for being no shows twice, so they aren't going into the LB, we also had a team that fell apart before the first round was played/underway. So 10 teams in the first round LB would mean 9 in the next round which won't work.

Some ideas I have come up with to reduce it to 8 teams + a couple of alternatives are;

1: Take out the two teams who lost with the least amount of flags scored.
2: Give Raider the names of the 10 losing teams and let him draw 8 out of a bag.
3: Let the 3 teams from the first round go head to head to take the slot DoP left in the LB by being DQ.
4: Let all 10 teams in but let the highest scored losing team from the previous LB round play against the odd team in each following round. And work out something at the end.
5: What I don't want to do but it's up to you guys..... let the odd team get a bye to an extra LB final before the big final.

If you have any other ideas for as fair a way as possible to do this, please let me know. Or if you prefer one of the options above, again please post here so we can get the LB underway.
Tomsa_x
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 1st and 4th option are the best if I understand the 4th one well. (The 4th point is not clear to me, neither is the 5th, but as far as I got it, the 4th should work fine...)
Starrec
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 1st option is the best, 4st option is good, Other options are bad.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> European Tournaments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: