ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1.07rc2 and other things relating to it
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostlyDeath
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: 1.07rc2 and other things relating to it Reply with quote

Ive seen RC2 and I have to say good job on it. It's better than RC1 and 1.06.07....

But, The custom weapon order is hard to change, It's eaiser to just select it with enter and move it up and down, and press enter to confirm...

Also, I can see that you CAN do ctf mode in Single PLayer, except that you can't pick any of the flags up...

And that new scoreboard is pretty awsome.

As for the new ZDaemon CTF format... I converted ZDCTFMP 1 and 2 to the new format...

But, Is it Ok of I stickied this?
Da_maniaC
Now with new lemon fresh scent!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're just waiting to try and do something important arent you.
(No need to answer, ppl here already know...)
GhostlyDeath
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da_maniaC wrote:
You're just waiting to try and do something important arent you.
(No need to answer, ppl here already know...)

What!? I don't have any idea what you mean... And I'm being serious about not knowing...
Lemonzest
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omg rc2 is a lot more complete than rc1 was and i love the old school changes and it plays so smooth even tho its still 36fps keep that frame rate locked!!, the new preferred weapon order stuff was a little hard getting used to but it makes alot of sense and hopefully no more accedentl rocket suicides Very Happy after reading the changelog thanks for the few heretic fixes i know its not played as much so thanks, would be nice if we could get some doom2 coop rc2 servers going possabley Drown In Blood or av/mm/mm2 as that's pretty much all i play altho with the new changes i did find dm/1-1 alot more enjoyable! so maybe I'll start playing some of those modes Very Happy
DRS
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've still not had a chance to play any real people with rc2 (only bots), but it looks great Smile
btw, is there a Linux version of the rc2 server available yet?
excelblue
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text. Reply with quote

DRS wrote:
btw, is there a Linux version of the rc2 server available yet?

Well, there should be. Why don't you take a look at the code in the CVS? Maybe change the version number to be compatible with this release.

http://cvs.zdaemon.info

Technically, you should be able to compile the code on Linux and get a rc2 zserv.
DRS
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but I've already looked at that site, and the most recent I could find was "1.06.09". Most of it seems to be at least 7 weeks old.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will NOT be a source release for 1.07 at least not right now (probably it will happen when 1.08 is out). We can provide win32, linux and BSD binaries though; just let us know your exact linux distro and kernel version and we'll try to take care of it.

If anyone complains about open sourcing the project right now, then I challenge him to find a technical solution that will avoid having an aimbot the next day after 1.07 is released. Only technical / practical solutions matter: ideological / religious arguments will be redirected to /dev/null. Above all, our main responsibility is to people actually playing the game and we do take that dead seriously.
DRS
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully understand why you aren't releasing the source-code to the 1.07 client, due to the possibility of another aimbot.
But why not the source to the 1.07 server? as surly any changes made to that will only affect the server running it, and affect everyone connected to it.

Anyway, if possible, i'd quite like a copy of the new server complied for Debian Woody / 2.6.9. Thanks Smile

/goes away to think about practical solutions to keeping out aimbot-ers'....
ItalianStallion
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused
Dam I hate it whe nthis happens.
Every time I open the new RC2 this message comes up.

"ZDaemon Browser has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But why not the source to the 1.07 server? as surly any changes made to that will only affect the server running it, and affect everyone connected to it
1.07 will have changes to the client/server protocol to specifically block 1.06 clients from communicating with 1.07 servers. If the server sources are released, then one can figure out the protocol changes and retrofit them to an older client relatively easily. For example, the "gentleman" who released the aimbot will be able to make it work with 1.07 servers in a couple of days. Is it clear now?
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Every time I open the new RC2 this message comes up.

"ZDaemon Browser has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience
Please be more specific than that: what does "open the RC2" means? browser, client, server? the message talks about the browser (which i find a bit weird); does it happen when it starts (and before the login screen), does it happen when you try to login to the master, when you go to offline mode, when you refresh servers?

Also... are you perhaps running stuff like norton, mcaffee, trend micro, zone alarm etc that block net access?
ItalianStallion
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sry, it was after I logged on while the servers were loading up.
But I just closed my Ad-Watch so its ok now, but this doesn't happen with 1.06 Confused
DRS
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
Quote:
But why not the source to the 1.07 server? as surly any changes made to that will only affect the server running it, and affect everyone connected to it
1.07 will have changes to the client/server protocol to specifically block 1.06 clients from communicating with 1.07 servers. If the server sources are released, then one can figure out the protocol changes and retrofit them to an older client relatively easily. For example, the "gentleman" who released the aimbot will be able to make it work with 1.07 servers in a couple of days. Is it clear now?
Sorry, for some reason I had assumed 1.07 was substantially different to 1.06 (so that 1.06 couldn't just be 'tweaked' to work with 1.07). I understand your point now. It's a shame you have to take measures like this because of one person Sad
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though 1.07 is substantially different from say 1.04, I could still retrofit the protocol changes to an 1.04 client if I had good reason to do it; it would not play perfectly, but it would serve its purpose if that's all I cared. If I can do it for something like 3 versions (and countless minor releases) ago, wouldn't it mean that the retrofit to an 1.06 client would be quite easy?
DRS
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine it would be very easy if you knew the source code well, and had access to the new 1.07 source code.
How easy would you find it to update the protocol used by the 1.06 client if you only had the 1.07 server to go on, and had never seen the 1.07client source code?

Maybe using some kind of closed-source module to confirm the checksum of the zdaemon binary would allow the release of the source-code with little risk of aimbot appearing? that way people could still look at the source-code, but a modified client still couldn't connect.
Lemonzest
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one bug that's bothered me along time is the auto map not working in coop mode, i find it useful (on the other port) in coop for finding team mates etc. in zdaemon it just stays blank the whole time. in dm it works fine (just tested). and another small bug when telezoom=false in the zdoom.ini the effect still happens and it makes me feel a little odd (hence the resion i turn it off in zdoom/other port).
switcher
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRS wrote:
It's a shame you have to take measures like this because of one person Sad

One person?
There are plenty of programmers out there.
I'll bet there are more hacked clients out there than anyone imagines.
It's going to be interesting to see the fall out from 1.07.
My bet is there will be a few retirement parties.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
excelblue
God like!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this should be handled by a case-by-case basis.

Really, if the aimbot was good, and I get a good game with it, I wouldn't bother.
DRS
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

switcher wrote:
DRS wrote:
It's a shame you have to take measures like this because of one person Sad

One person?
There are plenty of programmers out there.
I'll bet there are more hacked clients out there than anyone imagines.
It's going to be interesting to see the fall out from 1.07.
My bet is there will be a few retirement parties.
Let's be honest, most people aren't capable of creating an aimbot (or other cheat). I would guess a handful at most.
It was one person who decided it was a good idea to distribute an aimbot, so any old lamer can use it, so it's gone from the odd person, to god knows how many cheating.
And I say one person, because I suspect he is responsible for the decision being made not to release the source code.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Development All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: