ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Tournament Servers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> USA Tournaments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arrogance
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: The Tournament Servers Reply with quote

It has come to my attention that for the ZDaemon tournaments we need to do something about the servers.
We either need to work out a server that EVERYONE pings good to (eg., Quakeworld) now no offence to lyfe but his servers suck for some of us. and I think we should maybe get ultimo to host some Tournament servers... ya sure Manc is good but unstable.

Just a tought...
Admiral-Shakal
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any chicago servers would be awsome
DemonChildXP
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely agree Marine.... The FFA tournament server was horrible... I ping around the 50's in a lot of Quakeworld servers, but was hitting anywhere from 100-200 in that server.... Most of the players were jumping around, which made it hard to get a shot.... If you didnt use the BFG a lot in that tourney you weren't going to win because of that(why I didnt make it past 1st round).... Using the SSG in something like that needs some stability....

The Intermediate server hasn't been so bad for me... While I have been pinging around the high 80's... at least I felt the stability..... I think we should use some of the Quakeworld servers or some of the other servers which have proven to be solid and stable....
HumanBones
Boner!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i could contact ultimo i would, but i cant. So you're going to have to live with what we have now, you should be lucky any servers are provided for you at all.
Handy Mustard Gas
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want a server that will give everyone a decent, ping, you're gonna have to set one up in the middle of the earth. Everyone is the same distance, no matter where you are.

i agree w/ bones. everyone bitches about how the servers are too laggy for them, and whatnot. be happy that there ARE servers and there is a place to play doom online.
Arrogance
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you notice I posted this in the "USA tournaments" section. so the middle of the earth is not needed for a fair server. Also bones the thing about GSN is... few get good ping, some get playable ping, lots of us get bad ping. so when it's like 120-40 ping (example from mine and Badfish's game) It's a little unfair...

There's gotta be a way to contact Ultimo. If not maybe we can do it the old fashon way. 1 game on 1 player's server, second on the other's. add the scores and do it that way...
HumanBones
Boner!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im quite aware many people dont get good ping on GSN servers, but you're going to have to live with it for now because thats all we got. Playing on your server then someone elses it not necessary. We have an alternative to GSN; Mancunet. Unfortunately its been down lately and im going to try and get it back. Dont be mad if someone says that they arent going to play on your server because theres already one to play on.
DemonChildXP
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also understand I'm not bitching.... I dont spam the screen with cursing and such over lag.... I never complain about lag in any game(the FFA tourny was an exception... I had people bouncing all over the screen.. but sorry about that.. Just frustrated) .... It's the internet.... Lag happens.... Computers aren't perfect... Never will be.... Just kinda crazy that Quakeworld and such pings so well but we use other servers for tourney's.... That's the main thing I was wondering... I'm sure there is a good reasoning behind it.... I'm just here to play and do my best.... I'd like it to be on equal ground, but that can't always be the case and I understand that.... So.... Game on!
VMDX
Dominating!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you give me server specs early on, I have contact with Ultimo and can probably hook you up.

EDIT: Please note that since he isn't online as consistently as Raider, and often busy in Quake, early notification is probably very important.
HumanBones
Boner!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats good, you think you could get him to put up a udm3 map07, and for him to change the map each month? Or you could if he gives you RCON.
DevastatioN
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mustard Gas: Actually, the Earth is not completely spherical, it has different radius's at different points, therefore having the server hosted in the middle of the Earth wouldn't actually give people the same ping, they'd be different distances away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
HumanBones
Boner!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunets back Very Happy
ultimo
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I checked (10 seconds ago .. ) my email address was working fine. I would consider myself pretty receptive to server requests especially for tournaments and the like. I currently am only taking requests for my Chicago and Virginia server locations. I would recommend assuming that I do not have getwad and/or zdaemon installed and that I am poor at reading peoples minds regarding server configuration. Therefore I would suggest giving me a link to any wads, dmflag values, map rotation, etc.

-ult
Handy Mustard Gas
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DevastatioN wrote:
Mustard Gas: Actually, the Earth is not completely spherical, it has different radius's at different points, therefore having the server hosted in the middle of the Earth wouldn't actually give people the same ping, they'd be different distances away.

you do know i hate you, right?

Twisted Evil
HC-Shadow_Ghost
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a qw chicago tournament server would be awesome.. but meh
HumanBones
Boner!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find chicago a bit..laggy, what happened to east?
Draxamus
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are we like getting a new server for the tournament? The GSN server has been awfully laggy for me lately. Sad
nitroglycerin
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

people...

I think that we're lucky to have a tournament server at all.
Fred512
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitroglycerin wrote:
people...

I think that we're lucky to have a tournament server at all.

well i guess i can be thankful for SIX THOUSAND pings every minute!
Draxamus
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may also be lucky to have fresh bread, but that doesn't mean I don't want my steak and mashed potatoes.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> USA Tournaments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: