ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting started with Doom Mapping
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Have a look again. You should be using flags and not keys. Keys are the old way of doing things.

Put these two configs in your Doom Builder folder.

http://reid.ath.cx/db/ZDaemon_Doom.cfg
http://reid.ath.cx/db/ZDaemon_DoomHexen.cfg

When editing your maps, use ZDaemon (Doom in Hexen) as your config.

When placing flags, etc, use the flag things.

When placing player starts, use the player start things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Stealth Smile

I always wondered why so many new mappers still stuck to the old keycard/particle fountain method and only just realised that the instructions for making team-based maps here are woefully outdated. This thread will clue you in more.

So yeah ZombieMachine, go grab those config files Stealth put up, save them into your Doombuilder directory and you'll be much better equipped.

*goes now to edit WastedYouth's tutorial on the subject*

Last edited by Cybershark on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZombieMachine
Bloatware!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Ill try those. How do i post a screenshot i want to show you a screenshot of my CTF map.

also i need a custom script to display a message.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, well 'I need' doesn't get things done around here. Not unless people really like you, and you're not making a great impression so far...

Printed messages are very limited in their use here. You might want to look at something like ZDECTFMP2 to see how they can be achieved. Either that or look around here:
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Main_Page

In fact bookmark that one and refer to it whenever you have a question. Chances are it'll help you quicker than anyone here can.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to Insert Sprites into your Map.

Hopefully you will already have tried adding new textures or music and so will have installed - and be familiar with - a lump editor like XWE. Also you'll know that it's a bad idea to have a WAD open in both Doombuilder and XWE at the same time.

Being based on an old version of Zdoom's code then Zdaemon does not allow you to create new items. In this port you are limited to simply replacing existing items within Doom2. This works the same way as you'd replace any other stock item in an IWAD - you overwrite it with an entry in your own PWAD. For example, if you wanted to replace the Gray Tree you'd have to substitute a sprite in with the name TRE1A0, or in the case of the Evil Eye then you'd have to replace all three frames of that animation (CEYEA0, CEYEB0, CEYEC0).

All sprites should be placed between the markers S_START and S_END.

If you're making your own sprites then here's some size guides for you:
Ammo clip - 9x11 pixels
Cyberdemon - 82x108 pixels

As with textures, cyan (RGB 0,255,255) is the colour used for transparency - ie. anything cyan will be invisible in-game.

XWE (or any good lump editor) will automatically figure out appropriate x and y offsets for your sprite when you import it. These are what ensure that your sprite appears properly centred when it is displayed, although you are free to alter them if it doesn't seem to look right.

Note that the visual appearance does not relate to the physical in-game substance of the sprite. Without being instructed otherwise the game engine will continue to assume that the item's properties are still the same. So if you replaced a tech lamp then your replacement would have the radius and height of one and it would be obstructing to players. So either stick to replacing things that have attributes close to the ones you need or use DEHACKED which will allow you to modify those settings for any thing.

DEHACKED will allow you to not only change the height/radius but also a multitude of other properties. Most usefully in this context it can be used to add (or remove) animation frames and to specify scale for hi-res sprites.

Scaling is very easy and so I'll cover it here too. Firstly find the DEHACKED thing number for the item either here or in a DEHACKED editor (I recommend using WhackEd2).
Then create a new entry in your PWAD called DEHACKED - keep it well away from the map lumps - something like the following example:

Code:

Thing 13 (Demon)
Scale = 0.5

That example would reduce the pinky demon visibly to 50% size. Remember that its physical properties would remain the same unless you specify differently.
umoukun
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: wasted youth Reply with quote

This has been a really excellent thread.
Thanks.
xipher
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well put together tut. There is one prerequisite to ceating a really great wad and that is an amazing, sometimes evil imagination. Twisted Evil
Jaundice
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Hmm. Reply with quote

I have an entire video series on youtube on how to make maps and do certain mapping tricks etc., called Doom Builder Tutorials, I've covered a lot of stuff over the years lol.
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Hmm. Reply with quote

Jaundice wrote:
I have an entire video series on youtube on how to make maps and do certain mapping tricks etc., called Doom Builder Tutorials, I've covered a lot of stuff over the years lol.

Do you mean that you have made these videos yourself? Maybe you should link them here, with a description on what mapping trick you're showing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jaundice
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hmm. Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
Jaundice wrote:

Do you mean that you have made these videos yourself? Maybe you should link them here, with a description on what mapping trick you're showing.

Yes Smile I have almost 70 tutorials on how to do certain things with Doom maps - I'll just link to my channel Smile

http://www.youtube.com/jaundicejaun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Wad Editing All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: