ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sir TimberWolf's Objective Based Gameplay Idea

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you support this idea?
Yes
87%
 87%  [ 21 ]
No
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 24

SirTimberWolf
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Sir TimberWolf's Objective Based Gameplay Idea Reply with quote

Greetings to one and all, I am here to present an idea that I think would further the community to previously shrowded heights... Please bear with me and read the following doc. It outlines the idea and some of the things that could be done with it... after you have read it please leave feedback, post your own thoughts on the matter and vote for it!
Thanks in advance... Johnathan

Code:
Objective Based Gameplay for Zdaemon
A proposal by
Johnathan “SirTimberWolf� Enright

Contents:
Foreword
What is Objective Based Gameplay for Zdaemon? (OBG)
How does the OBG system work?
SECTORS THINGS AND LINEDEFS oh my!
What does this mean to sysops and players
What does this mean to mappers
Possible gameplay scenerios and ideas (aka, brining it all together)
Contact information

Foreword:
This document is simply a proposal for the introduction of objective based gameplay
How it would be implimented and how it would work. Also noting problems and other hitches that could arise. Unless otherwise noted this document is written and thought up entirely by me.

What is Objective Based Gameplay for Zdaemon? (OBG):
Objective Based Gameplay would allow a mapper to create specific scenerios for the community revolving around teamplay or enhance free for all deathmatch with interesting goals and possibly have an “ending� for the map/wad/whatever.

How does the OBG system work?
A lump would be added to the .wad file that would define which maps are OBG maps
from there zdaemon would access the OBG or SCRIPTS lump and load up the propper OBG script for that map.
The lumps would look very similar to ACS scripting. The SCRIPTS lump would be for map specific effects, thus freeing up a cluttered mess of script code. As I imagine OBG scripts could get to be quite complex depending on the map and style.

OBG LUMP (basic map list of OBG scripts)
Map01 //defines map that has an OBG script for it.
Map02

Map01OBG   (the actual obg scripting lump)
Teams: 1,2,3,4 //defines maximum number of teams, as well as colors, this map would have all 4 teams, red blue green and gold

Players_team_1: 5 //This would define the maximum number of players allowed on a team.
Players_team_2: 1
Players_team_3: 5
Players_team_4: 5

Game end Conditions:
Team_red_destroy: TID
Team_red_kill: (team number)
Team_blue_occupy: TID, TIME
Team_gold_survive : TIME
Team_green_defend: TID, TIME
Team_red_frags: 500
Team_xxx_captures:

These would be in an ACS format however they are presented here for easier reffrence.

Game end conditions could be marked as the team having to destroy a given object or thing (A sector marked in ACS as having heatlh for eaxmple to emulate a power core or something similar)

Team_xxx_destroy:
When the thing with the TID dies, the team that has this as a win condition would win. Failing that, the team who actualy did the fatal blow would be dedlared the winner (assuming all teams had the same win condition)

Team_xxx_kill:
This could be used for a rocket arena style “wipe out all the enemy teams to win� or as a secondary objective, the team would win when all opposing team members of team XYZ are dead. (how does this happen? Read the TIDS THINGS AND LINEDEFS section)

Team_xxx_occupy:
This would have the team having to occupy a given sector for a specific ammount of time, the counter would restart if there were no teammembers in the sector. (odviously it would have to be made clear what the sector was.)

Team_xxx_survive
This would place the team in a survival position, similar to an onslaught in starship troopers or something. The idea is to survive for the specified time. If all team members are dead, they loose and the opposing teams win, unless another win condition is specified.

Team_xxx_defend:
  The defend win condition would have the team defending a specific zone for a given time. This is different from survive as it has the players in a specific sector or sectors. The team would then have to keep players of opposing teams out of the sector. Once entered a 5-10 second count would begin, after that the mission is over and the team that is in the sector wins.

Team_xxx_frags:
This would allow a team to win based soley on the number of frags accumulated. This could be specified in leui of the standard fraglimit. As to allow the sysop to set the fraglimit to 0 and the map specified limit would be used.

Team_xxx_captures:
Basicly like an imposed capture limit for a team.

SECTORS THINGS AND LINEDEFS oh my!

Sectors:
Sector types that would be needed:

CAPTURE_POINT
Exactly like it sounds, you take a flag here to score.

CAPTURE_POINT_XXX
Exactly like it sounds, you take a flag here to score. (team specific)

Things:
A couple new things would have to be added...

PLAYER_TEMP_START_XXX:
This thing would be set as a team start that is temporarily active... the TID of this thing would be the switch, a script would trigger it to be on or off... ( I will be providing full examples of how all this comes together later on, please bear with me)

TEAM_XXX_RESPAWN:
this thing would be the designated respawn of team XXX when the player dies he would respawn at this point (odviously based on his team color)

WEAPON_XXX
this weapon would be defined as the weapon it is (SSG for example) the team who is indicated would be the only ones that could pick it up.  (this could  also be applicable to health, ammo armor and powerups.

Team_teleport: xxx
This would teleport a team member of a specified team to the teleport_destination selected. (This would be confined to a sector, and it would only teleport 1 player.)

LINEDEFS:

BUTTON_XXX
  This button would only be able to be triggered by team XXX

DOOR_XXX
Same as above, only for doors.

What does this mean to sysops and players

Sysops would be running servers with no timelimit or fraglimit unless the map set called for a specific timelimit (outlined the in the text file)
other than that, there are no really big changes for the sysop.

Players: pretty much the same thing, not that much they would have to be concerned with. As long as an explanation of objectives is outlined somewhere.

What does this mean to mappers

For mappers it gives us the near unlimited flexabilty of being able to make a unique playing experience for every single map if we so desire. With very little to learn in the way of functions...

Possible gameplay scenerios and ideas (aka, brining it all together)

I call the following list some “CORE� gametypes. These are just rough ideas that I threw together at the last second.

SURVIVAL CTF:
The map would be set up as a team on team encounter, there would be a single flag.
The idea is to bring the flag back to your base, and wipe out the opposing team.
However once you die you are moved to the sidelines. When your team scores a point one random teammember is returned to your base. If either team looses all their teammembers or the capture limit is met the game is over.

How it works:
OBG SCRIPT (theoretical)
Team_red_kill: blue
Team_blue_kill: red
Team_red_captures: 10
Team_blue_captures: 10

Things in the map
TEAM_blue_RESPAWN: 1
TEAM_red_RESPAWN:  2

Sectors:
Capture_point_red
Capture_point_blue

When a capture is made it triggers the respawn appropriate to the team color, thus resurecting a fallen team member.

Jailbreak!

This mode (should be familiar to most any quake2 player :D) has 2 teams battling it out. When you die you spawn in the enemy's jail. You have to options... wait for someone from your team to push the button that would release you, or try and climb out and either free your comrads or leave them to rot.

How it works (simplified :p)

This mode would use a lot of respawn_xxx things. And of course the button_xxx linedef. The mapper would have to specify that the end game condition is the jail sectors being occupied by the opposing team.

It would also be possible to have the occupied sector spit our a message like “the XXX team wins!�

VIP:

Very similar to TFC's president. The VIP would be on one team. And his body guards on another. The game would end when the vip occupied a specified sector for x amount of time (or simply got TO the sector)

Assault:

Unreal Tournament... need I say more? :) In this mode the objective is simply to destroy the objective.. however with creative mapping and scripting it would easily emulate the feel of UT's assault gameplay.

Odviously there are a multitude of gameplay types that can be derived from these 4 simple games...  not to mention the hundreds of other combinations that could be created.... it would be like a new experience every map... in conclusion. Thanks for reading, I hope this has given you some inspiration and ideas for the future of Zdaemon. If you have any questions or would like to know more about something, please do not hesitate to let me know!

Contact information:
Johnathan Matthew Enright
22 yrs old
Aim: DOOMFOXBLACK
MSN: sirtimberWolf@hotmail.com
email. Sionnachthestoryteller@yahoo.com

I realize how much of a pain this *could* be, however with dedication and hard work this could be realized for the good of the community... I emplore you to see beond the short term and look for the value of a continued working community project. Thanks for reading and take care.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daniel
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES for me
xrob2k4x
HELP COMPUTER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id like to see jailbreak come out in the next version of zd, but your idea as complex as it is, will be rewarding.

**thumbs up**
Twiztid
Who wants a body massage?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i chose yes just because...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Raider
Lazy Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This game mode, as well as some of the others that have come up recently, is an interesting idea. I like the renewed interest in alternative game modes for ZDaemon. We’ve all seen the sudden increase in activity since the introduction of CTF into ZDaemon, and new features are sure to boost its popularity. I’m all for these new ideas.

Now for the reality part: These game modes are extremely complex to develop. They require changes to both client and server. The reason we were able to implement CTF was due to the huge effort on the part of Duke4ever. He did all of the research and after about one year created the first CTF prototype. Kilgore was then able to refine the prototype and include it in the next release. Kilgore will be the first to tell you that this could not have been done without help from Duke4ever.

There are many things we want to do for ZDaemon, but unfortunately we have very limited resources to work on these things. We try to address bug fixes as well as add enhancements and user requests. These are our first priority.

On the other hand, if someone else in the community has the time and skills required to design such a feature, we would certainly like to hear from them. We can barely keep up with the bugs and user requests. We also have ideas of our own that we want to work on. In the future you will see some interesting new features that haven’t even been requested.

Our goal is to keep moving forward with ZDaemon, but we can’t respond to every request we get. The last thing I want to do is to discourage anyone or to shoot down their ideas. We have to be realistic though. Documenting your ideas is an excellent first step. Collecting input from the user community is a very logical next step. You’re doing all the right things. Please realize that this does not guarantee that the idea will become a finished product in the near future.
SirTimberWolf
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very true, I appriciate the input... I'v been trying to find a programer that would be able to help make this a reality. I hope someone out there has such time to dedicate to this.
Heres my idea on that... (wow.. look at all the ideas. LoL) I'm ganna try posting for help on some programing boards and stuff, see if I can find a free roaming programmer somewhere out there... lol
Yeah its a weak theory but it would be worth a shot...

oh well... take care guys
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Red Frog
USMC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Total support!
[UniTec] Crow
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so...much...reading...

but so worth it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SirTimberWolf
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question for anyone able to answer with some degree of certainty...

How much time/effort would it take to program this stuff in
just need a rough estimate so I can word my postings to boards right
Lyfe
Puts the 'Z' in ZDaemon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends if you can find someone already familiar with how zdaemon works, in addition to the number of hours they'd spend working on it.

I'd say you can expect someone to spend a month learning how zdaemon works, and then a couple more months to write the necessary code to create objective-based play.. (course, that all assumes that they know how to design objective-based play stuff).
Doomestation
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen Timbers works, He does kick ass work. I know he could find a programmer to get it implememented, it's the question if the TEAM allows it.
Lyfe
Puts the 'Z' in ZDaemon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been said numerous times, if you can get patches to the code to the dev team, chances are very good that it can get worked into the source.
hatton
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think sports-like game mode is good,
I make a detailed introduction about the sports game type
(I call it "Doom ball")

In the gametype we called "Doom ball",Player are separated to two team,
red and blue.Both red and blue team have a score pillar,the center of the map placed a "Ball".

Both team have to go to center to get the ball,and use a weapon called
"Ball Shooter"to shoot it,ball shooter can lock(use force autoaim)on a teammate and a score pillar.One thing have to notice,the ball carrier
can't use other weapon(Like UT2003 BR).

If enemy team killed ball carrier,the ball dropped at the ground(No one pickup in 30 sec cause the ball return to the ball spawn point,as same as CTF auto flag return).

Something about scoring,shoot the ball to a pillar get 1 team points,
and placed the ball at the pillar will get 5 team points.and no own goal,Because if you try to shot the ball to your team's pillar,the ball will return instantly.
masterdan
with the master plan!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only read that it had a story kind of, I was like YEA!
EarthQuake
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16 to nothing, heh
It seems everyone is for it, it's just that no one can make it a reality.
Doomestation
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem isn't making it reality; It's what happens after the fact...
Jtoxification
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I like about Timberwolf's idea is that you're essentially adding a few extra conditions for what constitutes an end-game, plus you can modify pre-existing team spawning code for respawn locations, and some inventory management (not so simple, but there's support for it in heretic & hexen -- I looked at the code earlier for want of testing the feasibility of small and simple ideas - for instance adding a preferred weapons rotation autoswitch )

The problem is communication, lone-ranger-programming (iz bad, mmmkayyy ?), and time management, even when you realize you may just begin to hate the code's guts. The point is that there are a LOT of incredible programmers out there, but who among them (us) can actually commit to finishing what they started ? I can't make that claim ! (although I can try ! Very Happy )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Development All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: