ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Split Recording into Sections

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DevastatioN
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Split Recording into Sections Reply with quote

REQUEST:
The ability to split a recording down into a specific section and have it be it's own standalone demo.

For example, I have DEMO_A. I wish to create DEMO_A1 which is only 3:12 to 9:15 of DEMO_A. I also wish to create DEMO_A2 which is only 11:15 to 21:09 of DEMO_A.

BACKGROUND:
I am working on a doom recordings database similar to what challenge-tv provided in the past. The goal is to make this as user friendly as possible, without having to teach people how to use the recording playback features of every single port just to get what they're looking for.

In the past, and even today, demos may contain multiple games. An example would be myself vs Hatred from ZDDL in 2008. It would have 5 games on a single recording, game 1 would Map1, game 2 is D5M1, game 3 is Judas, etc. From a database point of view, for full search capabilities, it'd be ideal to have a single database demo/record be on a single map. Perhaps a user is only interested in all D5M1 games by Hatred. Same for usability, not having to teach someone to fast forward and where to fast forward to in order to find their game.

POSSIBLE IMPLEMENTATION:
I imagine the tool would need to do the following:

1. Process the demo up until the starting timestamp is reached, keeping track of the game state.

2. Create a new demo file, setting the initial game state information from step 1.

3. Copy all of the demo information (instructions) into the new demo file from the starting timestamp up until the ending timestamp is reached.

4. Finalize the new demo file with the appropriate end demo information as required.

This assumes that the demo file can provide all game state information required to start at any point in time. It may be the case that the game state information can only be determined when a map is initially loaded. If that is the case, then I'm still sure the demo can be cut down, but only to when the map started, not to any given timestamp.

Perhaps in that case, a person can be presented with all of the timestamps of a map being loaded and then has to select the starting point from that list. The demo would then be split to just that given start until an end screen is displayed or something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Krawa
There is a limit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to accepted, but it will be done in a different way.
Markers will be added, so you can skip to them.
Krawa
There is a limit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demo markers added for 1.10.17.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Implemented Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: