ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

support for highcolor or truecolor modes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr_bigmouth_502
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: support for highcolor or truecolor modes Reply with quote

I started playing ZDaemon recently, and I have to say it's quite an awesome port. Very Happy I think one thing that would make it even better though, is if the renderer had support for 16/24/32-bit color modes rather than just the default 8-bit colors, because when I've played DooM on other ports, I've noticed that the colors "pop" more, and it just looks really awesome. Very Happy

I can understand the reasoning for not including an OpenGL renderer, because it would create too much of a division between groups of players, and it would open things up for cheaters, but I think that having support for highcolor/truecolor modes in the software renderer should be feasible. If it isn't though, well that's ok too. This suggestion has more to do with making the game look nice rather than having it play better, so I can see why it wouldn't be considered to be of much importance.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not even about making the game look nice.

Obviously, I recognise that it's as low priority as a request could be and I'm clueless as to how much work its implementation would require. But it does go beyond "making Doom look pretty". Anyone who's ever worked with custom textures knows how limiting the Doom palette is Wink

Purple is fairly no-go, but then purple is a bit of a gaudy colour, and not generally trotted out. A more obvious one - which caused a developmental rethink in the past - was the poor range of yellow/golds available within the 256 colours (hence the reason we have White Team rather than Gold Team).
Aeyesx
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of custom palettes but its just masking missing colors, the most ugly thing is when in dark every pinky or red monster like baron of hell or demon turns brown... I am surly for at least dmflag or ability to turn on 32 bit mode like odamex have
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, there's no need to get surly! Surprised
duke3d
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can trilinear filtering be done in software render?
Edwart
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello im perrondon and i want this request :)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Oxyde
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much what Cybershark said! I guess it would be a ton of work, but actually working on textures with such a limited palette is just a pain... Plus it would allow for fancier player colors! Razz
Aeyesx
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All we really need is this guys.

Colormap

Truecolor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Wishlist All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: