ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Domination Game Mode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Domination Game Mode Reply with quote

The acs hack that currently is zdomination06 is closed source and outdated. It spams messages to console and delays in updating game info can show online). In its current state it also requires knowledge of acs to make any new domination maps playable. The score limit is defined via acs per map and is also unchangable. On top of that, certain dmflags are relied upon being enabled/disabled to change how the game looks/sounds. For example display of event info "Team X took Point Y" is enabled if teleporting missiles is enabled, and certain sounds are enabled if spawn monsters is enabled.

Having a proper standard hard coded as a new game type would take a bulk of difficulty away from the mapper and would give more breathability to the game host allowing them to define teamscorelimits etc, and ensuring the game mode will work in future ZD releases.

Proposal: base this game type loosely from work done to implement KoTH/DDOM, making the following changes:
  • Use this Z sprite as the dom thing
  • Remove the 5 second countdown on capturing a point
  • Multiple dom points can be captured in the map
  • Award 1 team score per captured dom point per second.
  • Display compass guide to the points along the top of screen of location of the points (like in DDOM/KoTH) and/or show a circle/beacon on radar.
  • Consider a managable display of defined names of dom points somewhere on the screen, perhaps under the compass icons.
  • Individual score would be awarded similar to DDOM, modified to award +? for point capture, and change award for team scoring to +? per 10 teamscore.
Zedek
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new game modes are rarely seen being played, even CTF, so i doubt that the devs would want to make any more.

Maybe it is more convenient to ask cybershark to upgrade the ACS for his mod instead.
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zedek wrote:
The new game modes are rarely seen being played

I think this game mode never took off as it wasn't advertised enough outside of sessions, and given the way it was implemented you couldn't really chat as you play if you needed to check console for example, - not very user friendly. Now I intend to include dom maps in zdmega's next release, and when 1.10 is officially released start tournaments and leagues, using domination again in a few team game ideas I have. I also think the newer modes available are more taxing to the playerbase in terms of getting good games going as they and lack enough decent maps and are hard to get into.

Quote:
even CTF

True, it's declined over the years but it's still been popular in the USA at their prime time this week. Life commitments of devs and lack of demo functionality will have played a big part in competitive modes dipping.

Quote:
so i doubt that the devs would want to make any more.

I don't doubt it - if it's easy to model from existing game mdoes, then it's a good possibility. If it's reasonable (see my intentions with leagues/tournaments): then it can happen.

Quote:
Maybe it is more convenient to ask cybershark to upgrade the ACS for his mod instead.

Cybershark isn't really around these days, other than checking forums once in a while (hi shark). Add to that the reasons I gave for moving from depending on acs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Pending Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: