ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crimson: Alive and well
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Disciple-X
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Crimson: Alive and well Reply with quote

That’s right, Crimson is still alive and well. Sorry for the massively delayed update, but life is very busy for me these days. Full time Job, school starting in august, money saved, etc…

For those who are hearing about this project for the first time, you can find more information about it by searching the forums using the keyword “Crimson.” I would just tell everyone about it all over again, but that would be repetitive.

Crimson has its own domain and webspace registered now, but I can not release the link at this time. The site for this project will add some level of depth, and of course provide all the needed information. It will also have its own forum.

It is also worth noting that I have been following the development of Zdaemon, Skulltag, and GZDoom. I do not want to release Crimson betas until all three ports are closer to their prime.

I have provided some screenshots of all the current “works in progress.” The screen caps should only speak for the look of this DM project, not for its playability. Though it is all detailed, it will be considered conceptual in nature until an official release.

http://www.projectcrimson.com/screenshots.zip

Special thanks goes out to Cybershark, Tourrettes, and Doomination for the map layout submissions. All of you currently have your layouts displayed in the above screenshots, but I’m sure they look quite different from what you remembered. Wink

Last edited by Disciple-X on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Doomination
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only pick out a couple of the screenshots that may have been mine. Ha, you have completely overhauled the aesthetics of the level. Looks 1000x better than any detailing I could come up with Razz
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Crimson: Alive and well Reply with quote

Always good to know Crimson (and yourself) are still faring well Smile

Disciple-X wrote:
Special thanks goes out to Cybershark, Tourrettes, and Doomination for the map layout submissions.

To be included in such hallowed company! Surprised

Disciple-X wrote:
It is also worth noting that I have been following the development of Zdaemon, Skulltag, and GZDoom. I do not want to release Crimson betas until all three ports are closer to their prime.

Hrmm... the problem here is that I'm sure the respective coders probably think their products are pretty tight by now. Certainly with ZD only just passing the 1.08.08 milestone then it's not likely to get much 'primier' any time shortly.

Another issue is that each port has a wentirely different mandate. So I think unless you plainly state to the brains behind them just what it is you need, you're going to be needing some sort of celestial alignment before all three are where you want them to be. Just what exactly is it you're still waiting to see still from them?
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news. I was just thinking about it last week.
Whatever happened to Crimson. Nice pictures, can't wait!
Disciple-X
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Crimson: Alive and well Reply with quote

" Hrmm... the problem here is that I'm sure the respective coders probably think their products are pretty tight by now. Certainly with ZD only just passing the 1.08.08 milestone then it's not likely to get much 'primier' any time shortly.

Another issue is that each port has a wentirely different mandate. So I think unless you plainly state to the brains behind them just what it is you need, you're going to be needing some sort of celestial alignment before all three are where you want them to be. Just what exactly is it you're still waiting to see still from them?
"

Ideally, Crimson in its current state is still playable with all three ports, but what I am really trying to watch for is any one thing between either three that can render the project unplayable to which ever port. As stated a long time ago, I intend to make the project a single wad that molds and adapts to the features of the port it is being used with, rather than release a series of optional wads as enhancements.
Skitz0.X
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad Disciple has posted some more screenshots and shown the community the tireless work he's put into this project.

Good things come to those who wait and Crimson will prove that elegantly.
DX-Chain
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skitz0.X wrote:
Good things come to those who wait and Crimson will prove that elegantly.

Let's not forget Duke Nukem Forever
ZERO99
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm this is looking pretty sexy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Disciple-X
Dominating!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that the imageshack links have broken. I have zipped up the screenshots and uploaded them onto Crimson's personal webspace. You can download them below.

http://www.projectcrimson.com/screenshots.zip
Mantis-X
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still continues to look fantastic... Since Coop seems to be well played these days, ever thought about bringing it out as a Coop wad as well?
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea but it's not quite as straightforward as that.

Hatred once told me that he would like to see one of my maps made into a co-op (or something similar). Now I never made a single co-op level and wouldn't really know where to start - completely different skills required.

Also there's the issue of it being a whole lot of additional work, as co-op levels are typically many times larger than DM maps.
Disciple-X
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only possible "non-DM" scenario I'm currently experimenting with is an SP aspect for depth and story... but it wont be about blowing away monsters. A "cooperative" version of Crimson would be a very time consuming addition when compared to a simple SP mode. However, as stated in the past, a cooperative version is possible, but the DM/SP beta has to paint the picture as a whole before I can ever work on the cooperative aspect. Not to mention that if I did do a cooperative mode, many things would change (monsters, etc). It would be a total reinvention.
Dark Linux
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you're still alive and kicking X-man, and those screenshots always makes me drool... Smile
Disciple-X
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh? Dark Linux? Glad to see you are well! Thanks for stopping by the forums. I assume all is well? PM me later if you like.
Dark Linux
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol you need to check your pm more often x-man
Plastic Indian
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this still a thing??
Disciple-X
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow… Life just keeps eating all of my time and energy these days. I’m in a constant state of forward momentum regarding self-improvement, and just trying to find that balance that once allowed me to work on the things I enjoyed, such as Crimson. I’m contemplating help with this project, REPEAT!... “contemplating...” Help that goes beyond simple screenshot and comment feedback. Figured I would just throw this fact out there.
Doomination
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could try to help in any way I can, though Chemical Engineering is not very kind to my free time.

Plus, I'm sure what little skill I had has faded over the years.. though I could still try.
Disciple-X
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your "Flood" map has been added, and is still in one of the most active map slots of Crimson. I am looking for someone to remodel all the original HUD weaponry. So far, I have redone the BFG, Plasma, Rocket Launcher, but I need a new look for every other weapon. Also note that I dont want cut and paste hands/gloves oversampled onto a new weapon. Everything must look fresh and new (hands included), which is the challenge.

Once everything feels set for launch on Zdaemon, I would also like someone to make hi-res varients of EVERY texture in the project for GZDoom/SkullTag purposes.

Someone who is good with models and creating MD3's for GZdoom/SkullTag are more than welcome to inquire further as well
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple-X wrote:
Once everything feels set for launch on Zdaemon, I would also like someone to make hi-res varients of EVERY texture in the project for GZDoom/SkullTag purposes.

Lol, well hi-res textures and sprites have been quite possible here for years.
The only thing letting the side down was support for flats. I'm not sure if that has improved, but it probably will have done by the time you're ready Razz

Good to hear from you, anyways Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Wad Editing All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: