ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doomed in SPACE: Now on idgames!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject: Doomed in SPACE: Now on idgames! Reply with quote

Hello Doomers, today I present you with the finished product: Doomed in SPACE! 13 Sci-Fi themed maps for ZDoom-based ports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMZvDu7tzGY

DOWNLOAD IT HERE: http://doomshack.org/wads/d_space_v2.zip

The story:
The year is 2088. The UAC's current goal is to remove the line that separates men from machines. Certain undesirables are sacrificed, analyzed and experimented on for the sake of progress. The promise to integrate more effective weaponry directly into the human body keeps the research funds flowing in.

You are one of the UAC's victims - a genetically modified bounty hunter. You were stolen from your home colony as a child but proved harder to control than most of their young test subjects. Using your increased speed and strength, you managed to kill the men guarding your cell and escape in a stolen shuttlecraft.

That was 18 years ago. Crime is the only means of survival you have ever known. Once again, you find yourself locked in a cell, at the mercy of the UAC. An armed medic comes through the door and into your cell. As he checks your vitals, you quickly grab his head and snap his neck. His body lies on the floor and the gun is now in your hand. It's time to escape!

The rules:
You MUST play with freelook ON. Jumping and crouching must be turned OFF. You must also turn the 'infinitely tall actors' flag OFF, as there are several 3D bridges used throughout. Difficulty levels have been very thoroughly implemented, so if you're finding the maps too hard or too easy, simply adjust accordingly.

The maps:
Map01: Escape! by Crunchynut44

Map02: Shuttle Maintenance by Doomkid

Map03: Toxicity Control by Bootleg Guy

Map04: Foreign Planet by Mosshopper

Map05: Überraumstation by UberGewei

Map06: Wheel in the Sky by Empyre

Map07: Terra-6 Planetary Base by Fred512

Map08: Deep Space Installation by Doomkid

Map09: Genetics Lab by Doomkid

Map10: Command Station Zulu by Nevander

Map11: Asteroid Refinery by Angry Saint

Map12: Space Waste by Crunchynut44

Map13: The Speed of Skree by Pinchy

The new stuff:
There are a wide array of new enemies and weapons, lovingly borrowed and modified from a variety of sources. I don't want to give too much away - Play it to see how everything works and expect a few challenging changes that keep you on your toes!

The credits:
Obake (Wavegunner), Doom64, Duke Nukem 3D, Strife, Wolf3D, Star Wars: Dark Forces, area51.wad, equinox.wad, anubis.wad, skulltag.wad, Complex Doom, ChaosCore CTF (Map10 sky). A very special thanks to Crusader No Regret, Obake and Liberation for playtesting and comments.

The ports:
This has been tested in ZDoom, GZDoom, ZDaemon, Zandronum and Odamex - works in each one. Sadly does not run in PrBoom+ as there is no railgun support.

http://doomshack.org/wads/d_space_v2.zip

If you enjoy Doomed in SPACE, please be sure to let us know. I'm sure that everyone who worked to make this project possible would love to hear your feedback, positive or negative. Thanks!

Last edited by DoomKid on Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:34 pm; edited 12 times in total
Empyre
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been making a map for this. I was planning on surprising you with a completed map, rather than making a commitment that I was unsure I'd complete, but I have run into a problem. I have windows looking out into space, and when I test the map in Zandronum, it works as intended, but in ZDaemon, I see hall-of-mirrors instead of space. If I were allowed Doom-in-Hexen format, I could easily solve that with Line Horizon.

I suggest that you allow Doom-in-Hexen format with the caveat that it must be the old version that ZDaemon uses. The only problem is I don't know if it would work in Odamex, I have a question, and it is a serious question, not trolling. Does anybody play coop or single-player in Odamex? It was my understanding that Odamex focuses exclusively on competitive gameplay. Another question is does Odamex support Doom-in-Hexen format? If so, we have no need to stick with Boom format.

One final question: is there a way to solve this problem in Boom format? I would rather not have to put the space sky texture outside the window and have it look like a painting on the wall.
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Empyre, first just let me say thank you for taking the time to work on something for this. Regarding windows into space, in both Zdaemon and Odamex the sector needs to be 1px high, if the "roof" and "floor" of the sky are touching, it couses that HOM. Map07 in this is really small and has windows looking into space, just for an easy example.

There is a small but fairly dedicated group of Cooperative Odamex players, but aside from slopes and deep water, I don't think Odamex supports the various other Hexen effects, or does so in a really glitchy way. I tried many different Wads to see what did and did not work, other than Boom effects + the most bare-bones basic Hexen things, it usually ends it big glitches.. Sadly.

There's sometimes weird vanilla-ish or boom-ish ways to incorporate cool effects though, if you ever hit any more road bumps or annoyance (like the HOM for example) let me know and I'll usually have a solution. Cool Cheers Empyre!
Empyre
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at what you did on that map and tried it on my map, and it works.

I also downloaded Odamex and tried my Doom-in-Hexen maps, and they work there, with slopes, swimmable water, bridges, and transparent lines that the mapper can adjust the translucency, and Line Horizon. I did have to make an adjustment in the cfg to be able to walk on the bridge things. However, I then tried my map from last year, Descent, and the first thing I saw was HOM. The slope thing that is supposed to tell a sector to have the same slope as another sector doesn't work. Some of the switches aren't working properly, either. So, I'll say no more about your choice to use Boom format.
Empyre
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After fixing the problem with the HOM in the windows, I added pedestals for the weapons and keys, and now I once again have HOM in ZDaemon but not in Zandronum, but this time it is not in the windows.

The map is in this wad: empspace.wad

Maybe you can figure out what's going on. It's baffling me because there seems to be nothing wrong to cause it.
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, I'll check it out now Cool

Edit: What the hell! Checked it out in DB, looks perfect, yet it has those HOMs.. Do you have a Doomworld account? if not I'll ask in the editing section, this is baffling indeed
Empyre
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have an account, but it has been a very long time since my last visit there. I just logged in to see if my account is still there, and it is. It says that my last visit was March 31, 2007, LOL. I'll ask there.
Empyre
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They said it was a node building error because there were lines that were almost but not quite co-linear. I couldn't see a way to fix it, so I went back to a copy from right before I added the pedestals against the walls and added them in the middle of the hallway instead.

Since I've gotten this far, I can't see me not finishing it, so I am now officially committing to it. I see I have slot 16, so the map will be MAP16 when I submit it. I am thinking of naming the map Wheel in the Sky.

Do you want to find the music for all the maps, or should I find it for this map? All the target ports can use formats other than midi, so I should be able to find a good tracker file (mod, it, s3m, or xm) or maybe an ogg.

In the mapinfo, I suggest evenlighting.
Empyre
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My map is ready: Wheel in the Sky (MAP16).

Screenshots:

TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that the item sprites are all a lot darker. It makes for a great contrast when you see light colored geometry and those items everywhere really stick out in a good way. Lol, these are EVIL space marine items.

Cool windows Empyre, reminds me a bit of early TNT.wad
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for commenting Cuppy Smile I figured it would be a bit much to have white medkits and white stimpacks on white floors with while walls and a white gun - That's how it all looked as I was assembling it Razz
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good fellas. Keep it up! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ronald! Very Happy
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you don't have trouble keeping it up! Just think of Kilgore's Aegean biceps
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my spare Doomin' time (other than the odd DM, need my fix) will be going to this til it's done. The stuff people are making for it has really impressed me Cool
Fred512
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still have a few slots? I was thinking of taking a stab at it.
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to have you on board, Fred! There's certainly room for more Smile

I've compiled the first 'real' little beta of what we have so far!

http://www.geocities.ws/doomkid/1dmspace.zip

The current maplist is as follows:
MAP01 "Escape!"
The starter map, I still need to add some detail and polish here and there, but it's pretty much complete.

MAP02 "City of Tiny Lights"
Very early progress on another map, will likely (as in definitely) not remain in slot 02.

MAP03 "Outdated Outpost"
Obake's map submission. Great map for early in the pack, plays well and I dig it. There's two little HOMs in software mode but it's very minor stuff.

MAP04 "Brain Damage"
MrEnchanter's submission. Like Obake's, has a few little HOMs and texture oddities in software mode/Odamex, but It's a damn good map that aside. Great 'lunar surface base in a valley' feel here!

MAP05 "Command Station Zulu"
Nevander's submission. Good lord this map is beautiful. I think I found a tiny HOM or two but once more, the issues are tiny and far between. I think this one will need to go a bit later in the pack, it's very grand.

MAP06 "Wheel in the Sky"
Empyre's submission. Whatever the final map rotation is, I want this one right in the middle - It has a fantastic "Hub of all the space stations" feel to it. Can be beaten in only a few minutes, which is fantastic - Not every map needs to be long.

MAP07 "Toxicity Station"
Bootleg Guy's submission. I really like this map, matches up perfectly with my mapping style, if you don't mind my saying. Fits the theme well, fun to play - Great stuff.

MAP08 "Space Madness"
Very early submission from everennui. There isn't much here yet, though I really like the little computer room in the central area. It's fitting the theme well and I hope to see more progress. There are several HOMs here, but like all of them, should only be a quick fix.

I'll be adding further submissions in the correct order according to the OP, then further along we can decide on a rotation. At the moment, the focus is getting more submissions / polishing what we have so far. All the screenshots I've seen of not-yet-submitted maps are looking very promising as well.

More to come, and keep up the fantastic work, as always!
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just popping in for a little progress report!

Bootleg Guy and MrEnchanter have update their maps in the Zandronum thread (linked in OP), and Crunchynut has posted two maps in the Doomworld thread in case you wanted to check them out, and Jon has posted some cool screenshots that should be good for inspiration to any of you who may be needing a creative jolt (though based on the overall quality of submissions, that isn't the case!)

Alls going well so far, gonna have the satellite and other custom textures tiling properly in all ports soon, gonna fix up the chaingun/SSG pickup sprite, and iron out a few other little things in the next week or so.

Cool
Fred512
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm getting close to done here, just need to add more details and objects. I was thinking I may want a waterfall texture, but I wasn't sure if that's possible with Boom format without fusing existing textures.
UberGewei
SuperAntler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya,

Any mapslot left?
Haven't mapped for a while, this sounds like a good opportunity to wipe the dust off of my DB2. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: