ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doomkid's FunGuns! For DM, Co-op, Survival, etc etc

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Doomkid's FunGuns! For DM, Co-op, Survival, etc etc Reply with quote

Hey there people! I was messing around in the editor (as usual) and made an few tweaks to the vanilla gun behavior. This should be perfect if there's a mapset you enjoy but is a little too difficult, or if you want a little variety in your deathmatch server.

What's different:
The fist is now exponentially more powerful. When you have a berserk pack, you can annihilate almost anything.

The pistol is replaced with the normal chaingun, and now has infinite ammo. Keep running out of ammo, but don't want to be a flat out cheater? Here's a good solution.

The chainsaw has been replaced by the Skulltag railgun. It functions exactly as Zdaemon railguns always have, meaning slower rate of fire and no pesky reload sequence.

The single barrel is a minuscule bit faster, just to help it keep up with the SSG. You might not notice, it's only a 3 tic difference. The SSG remains unchanged, because that gun is perfect as-is!

The chaingun is now a super chaingun. I figured if the Shotgun gets a super version, why not the chaingun? I found Skulltag's minigun to be a little too overpowered, so this sits directly between the minigun and vanilla chaingun.

Rockets originally travel at a speed of 20, they now travel at a speed of 25. Plasma originally travels at a speed of 25, it now travels at 29. May seem minor, but can make a huge difference in deathmatch. The plasma gun is also 25% quieter, great on the ears!

The BFG remains unchanged, because like the SSG, it's already perfect. Cool

I hope you guyslike this. Let me know what you think or if you find any bugs or anything else. Enjoy!

http://www.geocities.ws/doomkid/funguns.wad
Krawa
There is a limit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YO, looks good! We should use that in one of the next ZDaemon Sessions Smile
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked it out

I guess you take the approach that Quake 3 took: basically you have all the chaingun bullets needed to spray until you get a bigger gun.

I like the shotgun's tweak. Would be nice for singleplayer or coop for monster spam areas. The only odd thing is now the starting gun is better in every way compared to shotgun in coop. Know what I mean? The chaingun is great against monsters because it keeps them alternating back to the painstate very often. In many cases I would probably keep the shotgun when fighting against human opponents. It creates a powerful red screen effect, pushes the opponent off their mark, and you have a chance of killing an enemy just fractions of a second faster than using a chaingun.

Well the super chaingun is quite fast but doesn't do a lot of damage compared to the amount of ammo it uses. That's well-balanced. A solo mancubus has zero chance if he faces a concentrated spray of this. You actually have a reasonable chance of killing barons of hell with this weapon without getting bored, hehe

I admire that you spread up the projectile weapons without altering the damage output

Railgun is a nice addition to singleplayer, particularly. Fists are not in any way overpowered. Since the fist pushes back enemies, you still need great timing in order to punch out a cacodemon for example.
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate the feedback dudes! I totally get what you mean about the SG being rendered useless by the starting chaingun - I was hoping the speed up would negate that, but it really doesn't, I might consider some sort of minor rebalance in that regard.

I also found a bug where if you shoot certain projectiles and certain very specific walls, they fly right through! A patch will be coming soon Cool
Sr69Mm-jC
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoomKid wrote:
I also found a bug where if you shoot certain projectiles and certain very specific walls, they fly right through! A patch will be coming soon Cool

You see, the "speed" of a projectile is how many units it instantaneously moves forward on each "step". The frame duration defines how often the projectile makes such steps. Thing is, if your projectile is currently close to a wall (but still without touching it), it might appear entirely on the other side of the wall after making another step. It will fly straight through the wall because the collision technically never happened.

To fix this, decrease the duration of the projectile frames and also the speed parameter. That way the projectile can fly just as fast, but the steps will be shorter and thus it will improve the odds of (or even guarantee) proper collisions with any walls. This will, however, increase the animation speed as well.

To keep the animation the same as well, here's what you can do. I'll use plasma projectiles as an example. Plasma loops through frames 107 and 108; 6 tics for each frame. Instead, make it loop through four frames (e.g. 107, 108, and unused frames 720, 721); 3 tics for each. Frames 107/108 and 720/721 would visually look the same. Now decrease its speed (e.g. from 25 to 15) and you'll have a projectile that looks and acts identically to usual plasma except it travels 20% faster and yet collides with all the walls properly.

I apologize if you're experienced with dehacked enough not to be explained these things in such detail but I figured perhaps others could find it helpful.
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your feedback is most appreciated! My solution was to increase the radius of the projectiles, but yours is far more elegant and wont affect deathmatch play. Thanks! Smile
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the random bump, but apparently, increasing the radius of the projectile is the only way to solve this issue. A shame, as that explanation sounded excellent!

https://www.doomworld.com/profile/18049-spectre01/?status=1729034&type=status
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: