ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zdaemon and Zdoom Custom Message Strings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Disciple-X
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:42 am    Post subject: Zdaemon and Zdoom Custom Message Strings Reply with quote

It's been a long time... I hope the Zdaemon wad editing community is doing well (looks to be doing fine... but I have not extensively read up on a lot of the forums postings yet).

So, on with my question...

A certain project that I am working on will require custom string messages. I want these strings to work with Zdaemon and all of the newer Zdoom ports (GZdoom, Zandronum, Zdoom, etc). The options I notice immediately with Zdaemon is Dehacked/Bex, and the option for Zdoom is the LANGUAGE lump file. If I use the LANGUAGE lump, it works great for Zdoom, but then crashes Zdaemon. If I use Dehacked/bex, it works great in Zdaemon, but then gets ignored in Zdoom.

Are there other options to create custom message strings that are more universal between all the ZD ports?
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LANGUAGE lump has been supported by ZDaemon for a while now, although there are probably a lot of strings not used/implemented. Look inside zdaemon.wad.
Disciple-X
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems Zdaemon's version of the LANGUAGE lmp differs from ZDoom's. So If use Zdaemon's LANGUAGE lmp, it crashes ZDoom on startup, but If I use ZDoom's, it then crashes Zdaemon on startup

However, I did not try copying Zdaemon.wad's LANGUAGE lmp file directly into my wad. Instead, I was writing up the language lmp with only the strings I wanted changed. Which worked for the corresponding ports, but not for cross-compatibility.
Disciple-X
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after copying the LANGUAGE lmp over to my wad, it now successfully loads up with Zdaemon, ZDoom, GZDoom, and Zandronum. I should have tried that sooner before I posted the question to the forums. Wink

Making the LANGUAGE lmp from scratch with ONLY the select strings I wanted was what was killing the cross compatibility. Has to be the whole file with all lines intact.

Thanks for the reply EarthQuake. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Wad Editing All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: