ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where is everyone?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
t8
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Where is everyone? Reply with quote

I just found Lyfe's Mac build.. and I see 11 people online... largest room has 4 people.

Is this correct? I was thinking there'd be maybe 100-150 people on
Buli
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's late, everyone sleeps at the moment, unless you meant Zandronum!

On a more serious note, ZDaemon's current popularity (in-game players) is about 30-40 players in the daylight and ~50 players in the night (week).

In the weekends, ZD's popularity at its peak can reach 70 players but that is it.

It rarely reaches 100 players nowadays, so I don't know where you get your imaginary 150 peoples from.

There was an exception though.

Last year, one of the only days that (private) CTF were carrying the port...
IleKallio
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone went back to chocolate doom. Go home.
Ch0wW
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the days, Zd had even more than 300 players, not only 100/150 players... When 1.08 existed or back when it was open-source'd :p

But yeah, Zdaemon's popularity is dropping badly.

If Zdaemon's popularity is dropping, don't forget that it is mostly because of those main reasons:

• The fact that ZD is updated every billion years, making a negative impact for players (hence players migrating to Zandronum instead, where there are more frequent and important updates [than an uninteresting update to zlauncher & zslwizard])
Zdaemon's netcode, known to be bad since 1.09 and onwards, also giving an unfair advantage to unstable netplayers. Many left Zdaemon, competitively speaking to other ports because of that.
• The fact that Brutal Doom, AOW2, MegaMan DooM, and other TC exist in Zandronum, giving more fun for players.
• Zdaemon's work is unfinished and is never polished, even with public versions! (we're in 2014, look how professionnal looks the web profile edition and the maximum size of the pictures we can add!)

Well, last year, Zdaemon had competitivity, now, all they have to live here are the event done by the community.
If people leave the events, Zdaemon is no more.

So they'd better move their asses before they see all their work lost because of their inability to listen more to the community and to give more frequent updates.

Last edited by Ch0wW on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Buli
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly the previous post is so veracious that it's hard to look the other way...

Zdaemon 1.10b has great features such as widescreen support or uncapped fps, demo features and all - although I find that these features should have been implemented for ages - but it is difficult to avoid thinking about the current Hitscanner / Unlagged (or whatever that is making me miss all my hits) declinaison since the 1.09 came out.

Hard to veil our face about the players that have moved on to other ports because of this very problem there.

PS: unless it was 10 years back when I wasn't here, not entirely sure when the port had about 300 players on.
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in other words, out of that entire post, the following statement seems to just about make its presence known:
"Thanks for all the hard work and time"

Just in case it went over anyones head, that was sarcasm.

There have never EVER been 300, 200 or even above 150 players in servers at any given time.

The Open Source argument, that is a complete red herring, as well as 1.08. It seems that you've got your blinkers welded on.

As for "uninteresting" updates, it's nice to know that any updates are appreciated.

Take your "updated every billion years" statement and shove it up your arse. All you do is snipe, bitch and complain. By all means if you have something constructive to say, then get rid of the attitude.

It seems to show that any free product is taken for granted.

As for the unbelievably predictable "bad netcode" comment, very constructive of you.

"Unfinished and never polished", well there we have it.

As far as moving arses go, kindly move your arse out of the door, you aren't owed anything. If you think you can do a better job, by all means, attempt to program and run your own port.

t8: Activity tends to be sporadic, general peak time is at about 18:00-19:00 BST onwards (13:00-14:00 EDT).
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: