ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

zlauncher updating issues, very annoying and on every launch

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghostbear777
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: zlauncher updating issues, very annoying and on every launch Reply with quote

upon launching zlauncher, i have about 2 or 3 seconds to join a server or the application wants to update, and i have no choice but to allow it because teh application closes if you do not allow it to update. in the previous version i could simply hit the cancel button and go back to the browser. but for some reason this has changed since the latest update and the application closes if cancel is pressed. allowing the app to complete its update has effect sometimes but not all the time. i also have had time outs and crashes updating but i blame this on my end due to a large amount of software on my computers from cad design and music production and complex network. still this is the only application i have that mandates updates or closes, every app i have that requires updating at least has options to turn off the updates or to ignore the current one to allow the user to use the app. and this is alittle ridiculous considering updates are very infrequent to zdeamon, i can only recall 3 updates in the past year or so. if this was a cad drawling that was updated several hundred times a day i could see this being a necessity however for a once a year update......???

hopefully the new version of IDE can be used as an alternative to this, i always used IDE previously. but i do prefer zlauncher
Body-Guard
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates are infrequent, and every update is usually mandatory, thats why they are forced, I guess. If update "does not have effect", your installation might be corrupt so you might need to reinstall Zdaemon, set it up properly and give it proper rights to update its own files. This is certainly not a bug, this would have been better off in the help & chatter forum.

I never had any problems with the self updater, it finishes within seconds and I am ready to go.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also another possibility: if someone's computer has a virus that modifies (infects) executables, then the launcher will detect that the zdaemon files are not the expected ones and it will prompt you to update them. In fact, if the launcher asks you for updates all the time, I'd seriously check that computer.

I'd suggest to let it update the files, then immediately go to Help/Check for updates; if it says that you still need to update, then the updates have failed (for example.. have you installed into "Program Files" even though we suggest you don't?); if it says that you don't need updates, then close the launcher and restart it; if it now says you need updates (or if it does it soon again), then chances are you have a virus.
ghostbear777
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my issue is probably the result of the large amount of software installed on my computers. the computer is clean and fresh HDD from managment, it just has a large amount of comercial software installed, and the issues usually stem from DRM and credentials of other applications that gets very strange when you have hundreds of different apps and antivirus and security software installed. still i enjoy playing doom as a time waster and cannot make changes to my computers to accommodate a "toy" application.

the change from the previous versions ability to cancel the update and keep the application open is rather annoying. luckly the brand new version of IDE is compatible with the zdeamon login procedure. but being a third party app, updates to the host software can change its ability to work over time. witch would put me back in the same boat.

honestly i just wish zdeamon would follow suit of just about every other piece of software ever made, and allow work arounds for update failures, just think if a file on your server became corrupt/missing every new user or updating user could not launch the application until admin goes out of their way to fix the issue, in the meantime you would recive a zillion angry emails from users unable to use the application that would simply waste the admins time.

i seemed to find a temporary solution using IDE untill the next update, a but i wanted to point out that this is an issue with the design of the application that many other software vendors have experienced.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder... have you also expressed dissatisfaction with Chrome, Steam, LOL, etc ? There is no way that this is an "issue". I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
Lyfe
Puts the 'Z' in ZDaemon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fail to see the difficulty with updates. Even if you installed ZDaemon on a USB flash drive, it should be fine. Plus most of the updates contain bug fixes in addition to features. Why would you not want bug fixes?!

Kilgore wrote:
Chrome, Steam, LOL

To add to the list of things you need to or should update: Your OS; every web browser; every Adobe product; all EA games; everything on a playstation/xbox which requires internet access; every MMO; Java; email client; word processing and other related productivity software; and chat clients. I don't see why people expect computer software to be stagnant. I guess it doesn't have wear & tear like your car or your underwear. However, it does have improvements like next year's car model, or better elastic for coping with all the food you eat during the holidays.
ghostbear777
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have no issue with updating to get new fetures bug fixes, but if i have already updated 5 min ago, why do i have to download the same update again and again and again and again? i just went through this 3 times to join a ctf server.

and currently IDE's website is screwed an not transferring complete archives without downloader apps that i am not allowed to install on this computer. because some cubical filler said so.

steam will let you launch without an internet connection or on an old version if the update fails, origin as well, chrome will read saved html's offline and will work without login. all of theise apps will still work if you blocked them from updating and their installed applications can be launched separably from their host app if you had the ambition. you can trick an xbox and a ps4 to work without internet (china......). you can read a pdf with an outdated version and photoshop 6.0 is still a light and powerful application. productivity software always has workarounds, think about an emergency when cad software or is used to find emergency info in a power outage/disaster.... the program will open and give you the information. not ask you to download the same update in an indefinite loop. email and remote applications are all about redundancy there is not one email server, there are thousands, issues are immeditaly rectified and the user is only viewing remote data.

some dumb peice of software i have to have installed on my portable workstation to be able to feed myself, dosnt like zlauncher. if i could just hit the cancel button and not close zlauncher like the previous version let me all would be well.
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what you are experiencing is not normal and most likely can be fixed on your side.
in what folder did you install zdaemon?
ghostbear777
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c:\doom

this is an issue with corprate BS software that cannot be removed or manipulated without me violating contractual agreements. i can solve the issue by buying a 2nd laptop to carry around.... i dont have the issue at home but im away from home right now. i cant install mainstream games on this computer but no one cares about a software rendered ancient game that runs out of a folder. its like playing solitare...

im not meaning to come off as a ass i was just trying to point out a strange issue thats changed since the last update causing me issues with this application. its not a part of zdeamon its in the launchers method of update requirements. previously i would just click cancel after allowing the update to start and the application would stay open. this is no longer the case and it does stop me from using the application.

credential managment, drm, encryption, security and antivirus software does this kind of crap. most mainstreem applications such as steam know this and have workarounds for update and communication failures.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a simple solution: use IDE. ZLauncher's behaves exactly the way we want to; sorry.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: