ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Some Dude
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Since this newest update, I cannot get my screen off of the crappy widescreen. I need to find a way to get it back to normal. Any help will be appreciated.
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goto Options -> Video Mode -> Advanced Options.

Move the Letterbox toggle all the way to the left.
Ch0wW
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it forcing r_letterbox_percent to 0 on 16:9 mode could be a default, it could help people complaining about that, no? Smile
Some Dude
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AF-Domains.net wrote:
Goto Options -> Video Mode -> Advanced Options.

Move the Letterbox toggle all the way to the left.

Thank you so much for your help. It worked perfectly. Smile
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god, this update is better than 1.09 imho? I was getting kinda jittery last night, can't quite put my finger on it.
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Dude wrote:
Since this newest update, I cannot get my screen off of the crappy widescreen. I need to find a way to get it back to normal. Any help will be appreciated.

What sort of monitor do you have? a widescreen (16:9) or classic (old) 4:3 monitor?
Maybe you are just using the wrong resolution in-game.

Ch0wW wrote:
it forcing r_letterbox_percent to 0 on 16:9 mode could be a default, it could help people complaining about that, no? Smile

It is enabled by default so 4:3 monitor users do not have a disadvantage when playing against someone that has a widescreen monitor. If it were disabled by default a 4:3 user would not even notice that his opponent has a wider field of view.
Of course users need to make sure they are using a 4:3 resolution when they have a 4:3 monitor or 16:9 resolution when they have a widescreen monitor to make it work correctly.
Ch0wW
Dominating!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phenex2 wrote:

It is enabled by default so 4:3 monitor users do not have a disadvantage when playing against someone that has a widescreen monitor. If it were disabled by default a 4:3 user would not even notice that his opponent has a wider field of view.

True, so that 4:3 users get only 1/3 of the screen black thanks to letterboxing to adapt to the fov, so that they are complaining in-game for having too few screen to watch everything ingame? Seems nice, and I'm sure nobody would be advantaged, for sure. Yup, great idea you had, that I made up a bind to explain how to directly disable that on the console. (also, the uncapped FPS too)

So to sum up:

For 16/9 users:
• Letterboxing or not, this is only great for them.

For 4:3 users:
• Letterboxing set to 100 (normal behaviour): 1/3 of the screen off, screen visibility reduced to adapt to the 16/9 fov.
• Letterboxing set to 0 : 100% of the screen can be seen, fov reduced to normal Doom behaviour, so that they're having fov disadvantage, seeing "less" than 16/9 users.

4:3 users have a disadvantage (minor to normal) in any case, hence the fact all competitive servers should have it OFF to stay equal.
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a 4:3 screen, having letterboxing set to 100% will give you the same view as someone with a 16:9 monitor. The field of view is expanded, nothing is cut-off from the top or bottom.

I imagine you must have really hated watching widescreen-formatted Videos or DVDs on an old 4:3 TV many years back.

That is exactly why the Widescreen icon is in the server list, so you know exactly what you are joining.

If someone wants to turn off or reduce letterboxing on a 4:3 screen, well, that tends to be the risk.

As you have been told already: If you don't like it, don't use it.

Constantly bitching about it will not help.
Ch0wW
Dominating!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AF-Domains.net wrote:
on a 4:3 screen, having letterboxing set to 100% will give you the same view as someone with a 16:9 monitor. The field of view is expanded, nothing is cut-off from the top or bottom.

So? On a movie, you're watching, so you don't care much about the screensize ; as you are enjoying the movie.

While you're playing, that's another story. If you're not having 100% on the screen on a 16/9 mode while having a 4:3 screen, you are disadvantaged with someone having a 16:9 screen UNLESS a certain setting is set (which is not, read next quote below).

Also, have you ever played Doom on a 4:3 screen on 320x200 with your monitor unscaled against someone being on a maxxxed resolution with 100% of the screen available? Please tell me HOW ENJOYABLE it is on an extremely small screen. "like good old times" as you can say.

AF-Domains.net wrote:

IF and ONLY IF you're having "Classic Aspect ratio" set to 0.
Good lord: It's set to "1" as a default. Devs are better not changing it.
(and the view is horrendous tbh, it's unplayable)

AF-Domains.net wrote:
As you have been told already: If you don't like it, don't use it.
Constantly bitching about it will not help.

Oh, more of that 'I know only 1 argument' please Wink
Lyfe
Puts the 'Z' in ZDaemon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ch0wW wrote:
While you're playing, that's another story. If you're not having 100% on the screen on a 16/9 mode while having a 4:3 screen, you are disadvantaged with someone having a 16:9 screen UNLESS a certain setting is set (which is not, read next quote below).

Quit being a whiny cheapass and buy a 16:9 monitor. Oh wait, you'll probably whine about the same issue, but from the opposite viewpoint, huh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: