ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Q: why don't mappers use slopes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nitus
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Q: why don't mappers use slopes? Reply with quote

Yes, I know, they put a slight angle in the corriders, along the walls. I'm talking about going totally hog wild!

Dicking around, I discovered that the sloping function is quite powerful. You can use it do do a lot more than add a 45% angle ramp to a square wall.

With a little effort, and basic geometry, you can create significantly complex ojbects using this function. Arches, domes, etc. Complex hilly terrain.

If a linedef is told to adjust the slope, it'll do it in multiple directions. If you had a bunch of triangular sectors, for example, and set the outside linedefs to match the slope, it'll actually match every section to its neighboors and give you a starfruit-shaped structure.

To build a dome, you need to use tiny "control sectors" as pseudo-vertices, and use a little common sense. But it works.

The only catch I've found is that, if you screw up the linedef order, it takes about ten minutes to build the map. But if you do it right there's no noticeable hit to performance.

I just wonder why I've never seen these types of levels before. It's not that hard; once you succeed in building a complex geometry, just save it as a prefab. You'd think mappers would love the ability, and there'd be a lot of levels with elaborate terrain or 3D-looking architecture. But there isn't. Why?
Nestea
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty simple. Only ZDOOM and anything built off of ZDOOM supports slopes (Legacy, I doubt it). Most mappers want a more... er... "universal" map. Meaning that the maps can support nearly any port (whether it's DOOM2.EXE compatible or BOOM compatible).

That and the fact that we play maps that were made way before slopes were born (dwango5, gothicdm, exec, brit11)
AlexMax
I've got your flag!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think that the slope function can change the world, prove it. Make a demo wad showing what you've been able to do with it.

I'm not talking about making a new 32 level megawad, or hell, you dont even have to make a playable level. Just madke a little showcase demo wad with no monsters depicting all of these things you speak of.

I am intriuted by this, and if what you say is true, I might use some of it in my future (CTF) maps.
Nitus
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do it. But in fact, it's already been done. Search around through the zdoom sites, and you'll find a variety of wads featuring arches, domes, and complex terrain. Most of them work fine in zdaemon; a few don't or run extremely slow, so it's a kind of grab bag. But an igloo-style structure in doom looks, to me, quite cool.
Exl
I hate penis like vegetables.

Location: North of the fries, east of the wieners, west of the tea

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slopes are the best thing to hit Doom engines since Boom (okay, maybe scripting). I only learned how to use them recently and it sucks that I can't just use them in any map now.
ATG_Death
and this one time, at band camp...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavy slopes' usage slows the game down significantly.
Twiztid
Who wants a body massage?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATG_Death wrote:

Like if I remember right, a map in Mock2.

heh, they should make a mock2 II.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
thefwf
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATG_Death wrote:

Well, there goes my latest idea out the window
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
deathz0r
Custom Title

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twiztid wrote:
heh, they should make a mock2 II.
We are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Twiztid
Who wants a body massage?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YaY!!!!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
scirmast
Da Po-po

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitus wrote:
I'll do it. But in fact, it's already been done. Search around through the zdoom sites, and you'll find a variety of wads featuring arches, domes, and complex terrain. Most of them work fine in zdaemon; a few don't or run extremely slow, so it's a kind of grab bag. But an igloo-style structure in doom looks, to me, quite cool.

Then post some links please.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Wad Editing All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: