ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nitus' weapons wad - version 1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nitus
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Nitus' weapons wad - version 1 Reply with quote

Check it out, let me know what you think.

http://www.geocities.com/nitus_dm/nweps.zip

Select and copy the url into your browser's address bar.
Twiztid
Who wants a body massage?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It dosn't work...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Nitus
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, it's a case-sensitive filename. Try this:

http://www.geocities.com/nitus_dm/NWEPS.zip
Twiztid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, looks ok to me
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Nitus
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kept the SSG, plasma gun, rocket launcher, and BFG. Changed the pistol to an Uzi 9mm, the chaingun to a tommygun, the shotgun to a railgun.

I call it "version 1", but unless there's a suitable BFG replacement out there somewhere, it's probably complete as is.

What I'd really like to see is something like the thundrbolt; if there's a railgun, it should be possible. But nobody seems to have done it, and I don't know how.
Twiztid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The uzi is from Shadow Warrior, railgun is from tlsdm2k3 or it's the plasma rifle from doom64 and thats all i know. heh
Nitus
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The railgun is from tlsdm2k3 and doom64.

The Uzi is from Shadow Warrior, converted to doom2 by Don Tello, who also took the Thompson for some game by Monolith Software.

The only thing thing I did was compile it all, and if there'd have been a useful BFG replacement it'd be in there, too.

Correction: I did create the sound effect for the rocket launcher, which is actually the effect I made for nDM-01 mixed with a familiar RL sfx that makes it sound a bit better. The Plasma and BFG sfx took serious editing, cutting and pasting, to sound right. You may have heard that plasma sfx before, but probably not as matched to the sprite action.

I ran the server for two days, although it tends to crash for some reason. I still got a chance to see how it played, and I think that my choices were pretty good. The tommygun scatters a bit, which makes it better than the chaingun, and the uzi is definately better than a pistol. And whoever uses a single-shotgun, anyway?
scirmast
Da Po-po

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wanted to make a new weapons pack, why didn't you create new GFX for for the weapons yourself? Although I'm not complaining about yje copyrights, I'm very much agains using someone elses work. If everything is done by you the project would be truly yours.
Rellik_jmd
Dominating!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure but for some of us making new graphics is really hard.
scirmast
Da Po-po

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree about that. But then you could ask help from someone who has talent. Although then it wouldn't be truly Nitus' project, it is still a way better than taking stuff from someone else.

I'm a perfectionist and I think projects like this should be done perfectly. Well, maybe not 100% perfect but you get the idea.
Nitus
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, STFU. The guy who made these patches didn't do the GFX either; they ripped them from other games. Like like most patches. The only patches I've seen that weren't stolen from other games were mostly shit.

What I did was take a bunch of dehs and wads and put them together in a functional, single wad. That was my intention: to compile a wad out of existing patches, what I thought were the "best" patches in terms of normal Doom2 gameplay.

Since NWEPS is the only compilation weapons wad that doesn't have a bunch of psycho-super-powered weapons, I'd say it was well worth it.
scirmast
Da Po-po

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitus wrote:
Oh, STFU. The guy who made these patches didn't do the GFX either; they ripped them from other games. Like like most patches. The only patches I've seen that weren't stolen from other games were mostly shit.

What I did was take a bunch of dehs and wads and put them together in a functional, single wad. That was my intention: to compile a wad out of existing patches, what I thought were the "best" patches in terms of normal Doom2 gameplay.

Since NWEPS is the only compilation weapons wad that doesn't have a bunch of psycho-super-powered weapons, I'd say it was well worth it.

I very much meant that the guy who did the patches was also to blame. He's not innocent either.

I know that most of the completely user made patches are crap. But that does not justify your act. You weapons pack could have been the first one to be original and good.

Well, the topic is Nitus' weapons pack 1. The name suggests that they are YOUR weapons. I can't be avare of your intentions if you don't tell them.

And yes, maybe your pack was worth it. Present it to the Godfader (L@p servers' admin), and maybe we can finally get a replacement to the 2dmmaps server.
Nitus
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the GFX, I could do those easily enough. I had problems making skins, because I can't get meshes to parse into my raytracer and I can't build a decent-looking model out of primitives.

But weapons are relatively easy to model out of primitives. Getting them to look right in doom2 is a simple matter of playing with lighting and coloration. But why bother?

There are so many good patches moldering around in the net, most of them with a deh extension, made for the original doom2. People put hard work and love of Doom into these patches, and even if they did rip graphics from other games, it was a lot harder to do back in the mid-90s. They would have had to edit, resize, add frames, use command-line batches, etc.

And a lot of good patches have been lost over the years - specifically during the dead-zone between the dawn of Quake and the first good win32 ports. It just seemed sad to me that all that hard work and love just crumbled to dust so quickly.

So I went on a crusade to find the best patches that I could, and compile them. It's meant as a tribute, as well as a functional addon that doesn't severely alter gameplay.

Scirmast - I'm sorry if you were dissapointed, because you thought they were all new. I didn't make that clear on this forum, but if you had been hanging out in #zdaemon you would have noticed me talking about it for awhile.

I still would like to add a BFG replacement, and that I would have to do from scratch, but I'm a dehacked newbie. If anyone is experienced with dehacked and wants to help me out, let me know. I can do the GFX and ths SFX, but I don't know how to make the weapon perform as I'd like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Wad Editing All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: