ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seismic Lab (OS duel/1on1 map) My homage to Dwango5 Map01

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FraGMarE
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Seismic Lab (OS duel/1on1 map) My homage to Dwango5 Map01 Reply with quote

Just released by tribute map to dwango5.wad map01. It's called Seismic Lab and uses mainly Quake textures. It's pretty free-flowing and very ssg-centric, similar to Dwango5 Map01:

http://fragmare.mindrec.com/seismic.zip

Some screenshots:

TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll bite.

When I come in from outdoors via chainsaw entrance, why I am running into a gigantic crate?

The BFG is pretty easy to get, gives you 100 armor also, and allows you to sequentially sweep the plasma rifle plus three cells packs. How much is too much?

I see you understand how to map quakeishly, the visuals are great, and for some morbid reason I enjoy the sky.
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a glance, I like the look of this - The only sore spot I'm seeing is the large crate that TheCupboard pointed out, it seems to cram the room up a little too much and hinder flow. Other than that, well textured gritty look, and it's a freakin' D5M1 style map. What more could a deathmatcher want? I'll have to try this in a duel some time to give better feedback.
FraGMarE
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BFG is easy to obtain, yes, but escaping the "jail" with it in a 1on1 game is not. The lift takes a while to lower, and if your opponent is anywhere remotely nearby, they can come fire a couple rockets or a well timed SSG shot at the doorway as you try to get out and kill you. That's the whole point of the rather lengthy lift drop time.

Is the crate really that hard to maneuver around? It's there to provide some cover in SSG duels, and also at least partially obstruct the visual range of opponents roaming the map looking for you.
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FraGMarE wrote:
Is the crate really that hard to maneuver around? It's there to provide some cover in SSG duels, and also at least partially obstruct the visual range of opponents roaming the map looking for you.

It's not ultra hard to get around or anything, but it hinders flow far more than it acts as a cover spot, at least that's what we found when me and Lextiic played the other day. Honestly after testing it out, I still think it's the maps only real vice Wink It's no biggie, but I'd prefer the map without it. As for the BFG, I think that's nice just the way it is.
FraGMarE
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, okay. What if i did something like this? http://fragmare.mindrec.com/fmbet01j.wad

It's Map01 in this map pack beta. I went ahead and made it considerably smaller.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all jolly good stuff, what with the feedback and the listening to feedback
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FraGMarE wrote:
I went ahead and made it considerably smaller.

A very small tweak, but a big improvement! This is probably the best D5M1 homage map I've played, although I'm a sucker for quake-like design.

Overall this whole pack is stand-out stuff: Great texturing, variety in environments, and very interesting use of symmetry in a way that doesn't feel fully symmetrical. If there's a BFG you have to earn it, and on top of it all the detail level is just right. If you were to upload this to /idgames I'd have to give it 5 stars for atmosphere alone, but these seem like great duel maps. I'll play through all of them some time soon and leave more detailed feedback.

If this mapset is still considered incomplete, then I'm stoked for the final release. Very Happy
FraGMarE
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoomKid92 wrote:

A very small tweak, but a big improvement! This is probably the best D5M1 homage map I've played, although I'm a sucker for quake-like design.

Overall this whole pack is stand-out stuff: Great texturing, variety in environments, and very interesting use of symmetry in a way that doesn't feel fully symmetrical. If there's a BFG you have to earn it, and on top of it all the detail level is just right. If you were to upload this to /idgames I'd have to give it 5 stars for atmosphere alone, but these seem like great duel maps. I'll play through all of them some time soon and leave more detailed feedback.

If this mapset is still considered incomplete, then I'm stoked for the final release. Very Happy

Thanks! I'm really trying to make a set of vanilla maps that don't look or feel "vanilla"... yet still are. Every single map in this WAD is 100% compatible with vanilla doom2.exe, without any major crash-back-to-DOS errors. There is some minor HOM here and there, but that's because I'm pushing the old vanilla engine to its limit.

If you want to try it out, the current iteration of the beta is up for playtesting on ZD server Dwango United New Jersey #17 - zds://208.167.245.119:10617

The maplist is pretty much complete. Right now, I'm just playtesting and making minor changes/tweaks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: