ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to compile maps into a single .WAD file?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jac0b
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: How to compile maps into a single .WAD file? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm interested in compiling maps from various PWADS that are in both Doom2 and ZDoom's Doom in Hexen formats. I've been using Slade & Doom Builder 2... so I would greatly appreciate info on how to make this happen using those tools. Thanks for your help!
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doombuilder has a "save map into" command in the file menu, that lets you save the map into another wad. It usually works pretty clean.

You might have to go into the maps manually and change the line actions around tho. I don't think they'll translate from doom to hexen or vice versa.

Op-Cow
Sr69Mm-jC
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: How to compile maps into a single .WAD file? Reply with quote

Open your wad with Slade.

A "map" is a set of lumps. Map definition stats with an empty lump which defines the map name (e.g. MAP01). After that, more lumps follow: THINGS, LINEDEFS, SIDEDEFS, ...., REJECT, BLOCKMAP. If you're mapping in Doom in Hexen format, you may as well have BEHAVIOUR and SCRIPTS lumps. The total of 11-13 lumps is your map. You cannot change the order of lumps or remove any of them (except for SCRIPTS, but that's not important now).

So, to merge your maps into one wad, simply open one wad, copy all 11-13 entries (click each entry with CTRL held down, right click -> copy), open another wad, paste, and check to not break the order (like if you accidentaly put 11-13 new lumps in the middle of another map defition).

P.S. ZDaemon wouldn't give a damn about mixed map formats within one wad. It is, however, still probably not the best idea to mix formats within a single project.
jac0b
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SR69, I've been attempting to use your approach with no luck thus far. However, I have also been renaming the Map headers (MAP01, MAP02) etc. within slade to hopefully change the map numbers. I am also converting Doom2 map formats to ZDoom Hexen format so that they're all the same. Things look good within Slade, but when I go to launch the game, Map01 is the only one that actually shows up within game. I'll try again today and will report back with my findings.
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the method Op-Cow mentioned. That's how I usually do it. Note though that doom builder seems to randomly remove a few maps after you add like over 20 or 25... basically when it gets too heavy, db freaks out. Quite annoying when making big compilations! Mad
jac0b
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I actually achieved success while using Slade to move a Hexen format map into another Hexen format WAD, now having maps01 and 02. It didn't work last night when I tried to simply "save" to save the changes. However, it worked this morning when I "saved as" and gave the WAD a new file name. Odd.

Lastly, I'm using ZWADCONV to convert maps to Hexen format prior to importing them into this compilation. If there are any issues with this approach, please let me know! Thanks again for your support.
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indigo22 wrote:
Lastly, I'm using ZWADCONV to convert maps to Hexen format prior to importing them into this compilation. If there are any issues with this approach, please let me know! Thanks again for your support.

It won't convert slopes (plane align linedefs).
jac0b
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evolution wrote:

It won't convert slopes (plane align linedefs).

Thanks for that info.
Empyre
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he is converting maps from Doom 2 format, there wil be no slopes that would need translating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Wad Editing All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: