ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LOADACS - coolest new feature since DEHACKED?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: LOADACS - coolest new feature since DEHACKED? Reply with quote

The 1.09b24 changelog wrote:
17. 9. Implemented support for LOADACS libraries.

"LOADACS" huh? No, I had no clue what that was either - until Worst explained it to me.
Here's the Zdoom wiki entry for it.

Think like how before now you could run DEHACKED patches, sprite or sound mods on servers, and how everything would then be altered on each map? Now you can run whole chunks of ACS scripting the exact same way - even on Boom format maps!

Examples?

Say you want to pretend you're playing your favourite maps, but underwater?
A simple patch like watery adds blue colour, fog and less gravity to (all untagged sectors on) any map!

Jinkies! I'm Dwangoing in my scuba gear Surprised

Or maybe you want a script that gives you 10 Heretic timebombs every time you respawn? No problem!

ZDCTF just got real interesting! Shocked
Oh noes... did I just give away that Heretic items can now be spawned and used in Doom?

Or, on a more expansive scale, you could write a complete modifier, like I did with my haxmod over in the other thread Smile

All you need for one of these patches? Well, you'll have to know some ACS, and be able to use a lump editor (like XWE). Then?

All the patches that I linked to above contain are the following entries:
Code:
LOADACS
A_START
TEHCODE
A_END
SCRIPTS

LOADACS is a very simple lump that tells Zdaemon which code lumps to load. In the example above, it would simply contain the name TEHCODE.
    A_START and A_END are the markers which tell the engine where to find the compiled script lumps.
    TEHCODE is that compiled script. Easiest way to make this in XWE? Create a new entry directly above your scripts lump, then hit compile. The new entry should now have a size above 0 bytes - if it does not then something is wrong in your code and it failed to compile.
    SCRIPTS is the ACS itself, which is only included for reference, as it is unused in the WAD. Your script needs to have a library header at the very start, ie
    Code:
    #library "TEHCODE"

Note: Using high/obscure thing tag and script numbers in your ACS is highly recommended to avoid clashes with any existing map code. There is no such problem if you only want a patch to run on Boom format maps.

Go forth and experimentate!

Last edited by Cybershark on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:38 am; edited 3 times in total
The Ultimate DooMer
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used that to make a mod that autosaves every X seconds (you choose what X is) and a mod that turns Hexen (or any of it's pwads) into an RPG...certainly didn't expect the feature to end up in ZD Shocked

Quote:
Oh noes... did I just give away that Heretic items can now be spawned and used in Doom?

Surely that means we can also use Heretic weapons in Doom...gogo ZDCTF with crossbows and morph eggs
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:
Surely that means we can also use Heretic weapons in Doom...gogo ZDCTF with crossbows and morph eggs

Mano and I already played around with this on a server.

I've always wanted to include timebombs and chaos spheres in regular DM maps Very Happy

One other (silly) thing I'd like to do is to glue Heretic E1M1 to Doom E1M1 and play it as a TDM - Corvus vs Doomguy Twisted Evil

I like Heretic... and I like Doom... but which is better?
There's only one way to find out:
FIGHT!!!
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently came to realise I'd made one important omission from all my LOADACS scripts (thankyou Worst for setting me straight!).

All script lumps need to have
Code:
#library "codename"
at the very beginning (alongside #include "zcommon.acs"). Where 'codename' is the name of the compiled code - for the above example that would be "TEHCODE".

This is very important if you want your mod to work with maps which contain their own ACS script. Your code will be ignored if the library definition is not in place!

So, I need to redo Haxmod, Sr should update Regeneration, Krawa may want to add that to his tag667workaround, etc.

[original post edited too]
Sr69Mm-jC
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
All script lumps need to have
Code:
#library "codename"
at the very beginning (alongside #include "zcommon.acs"). Where 'codename' is the name of the compiled code - for the above example that would be "TEHCODE".

This is very important if you want your mod to work with maps which contain their own ACS script. Your code will be ignored if the library definition is not in place!

I've stumbled upon a weird bug with my regeneration patch today where it seemed like most scripts work fine but one of them is simply ignored altogether. The funny thing is when I found this topic I noticed this:

Cybershark wrote:
So, I need to redo Haxmod, Sr should update Regeneration, Krawa may want to add that to his tag667workaround, etc.

You literally told me how to fix my own wad more than an year ago and I just did not listen back then. It was hilarious.

Either way, my patch is indeed fixed now - no scripts are ignored.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long as we got it fixed in the end Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Wad Editing All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: