ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Haxsphere

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Haxsphere Reply with quote

All the new ACS commands in b24/25 had me doing some experimenteering and have (prettymuch) allowed me to create a "new" DM gamestyle.

Fact is that - looking at what I did - it'd now actually be possible to softcode the entire CTF gamemode in ACS. Although scoring would still be a bit hackish for it. Hopefully one day we can get some sort of scoring system which is independent of frags, teamscore or kills. But that's irrelevant for now as, obviously, we have a pretty decent system for CTF already in place Razz

So, what idiocy have I concocted this time? Well, I was influenced by Skulltag's "Terminator" variant on DM (which is described as being 'basically "Smear the Queer" for Doom.')
Their version can be played on any DM map. A red ball is spawned at a random player start and 'when a player picks it up, they instantly get 200% armor and health, and they deal QUAD DAMAGE. However, when a player kills the terminator, they get 10 frags!' (and the ball is dropped).

Differences:
"Quad damage" and giving away free frags are not possible here.
This cannot be played as a mod on any pre-existing map without a slight tweak to the maps. A lump of ACS code needs adding, and tagged map spots must be placed over all the DM starts in the maps. This can easily be done by somebody with zero skills in no time at all Wink

Intial version:
Gave players 150% health, 150% (blue) armor when they picked up the "Haxsphere"
A large red arrow appeared over the carrier's head
Continually increased both health and armor by 1% every second
(annoyingly, online, health and armor would not be shown to be changed until the player took some damage)

Current pickup changes:
Player gets colour-translated to be all red (and a little see-thru). The player colour translation is broken online though, and they just go grey. Not such a biggie.
Gives player liteamp
Reduces ALL damage received by 50%
Continually increments pistol ammo, shells, rockets and plasma by 1 unit every 2 seconds

There was a problem earlier with the sphere not being respawned if the carrier died close to a wall. I think this has been rectified but, in the rare case it does not spawn over the carrier's corpse, it will reset to a start position - just like a CTF flag would. I've also seen Terminator games be ruined by someone dying in an instadeath area. I'm shortly going to try to code a reset fix for this sort of case too.

If you understood none of that, here's a slightly outdated demo map:
http://zdr.nukelol.com/random/playericon3.wad
Play as DM, add a bot or two, use chasecam to better see what's going on.

What I'd like to get here are some thoughts on what the most balanced effects of picking up the sphere would be. It should be hard, but not impossible to kill the sphere carrier!
Oh, and I guess the mod needs some kinda cool name too. Suggestions, guise?

Big thanks to Worsty and EQ for poking fun at my script and suggesting other ACS functions I could use.

Last edited by Cybershark on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all: You're awesome. KotH and now THIS. It's kinda fun in loltag but yeah the terminator there is way overpowered.

Now, here the terminator seems underpowered. No damage increase at all? Should be like 2x. Though hey, let's have a test so so I can see how it goes currently.
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you switch to berserk mode? Only it is not a fist but a weapon?

Cool idea! Let's call it La Sphere.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evolution wrote:
Now, here the terminator seems underpowered. No damage increase at all? Should be like 2x. Though hey, let's have a test so so I can see how it goes currently.

At the time of writing, these are the effects upon the player who picks up the Haxsphere:
    They will be healed up to 100% health
    They gain computer area map and lite amp
    All damage dealt to them is reduced by 75%
    They turn red (or grey online :/) and have a huge arrow follow them around
    Their ammo will continually be replenished
    They are also made slightly translucent (just because I could)

But no, increased damage is really not possible Sad

spacepirate wrote:
Can't you switch to berserk mode? Only it is not a fist but a weapon?

Not sure I follow you. You mean replace the fists with some gun? That'd work, but what would stop other players switching to fists? Plus you'd probably be stuck with redscreen too.

I was thinking about giving "teh hax0r" some funky new gun that only they can acquire, but I'm not sure how possible that will be...

spacepirate wrote:
Cool idea! Let's call it La Sphere.

LA Sphereworld? Laughing

Annnnnnnnyways, here's a compilation of 8 pretty well known FFA maps which have been re-tooled for this: haxsphere_v1

It'll probably be hosted up someplace as soon as Krawa or Mano read this Wink

I've fixed up a glaring omission in the code, which meant that if teh hax0r disconnected, the sphere would be lost. Also been talking with Worst about making this something that will work as a patchwad on any existing map without making any modifications. We'll see.
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant. When you pick up a berserk, you go to your fist and you gain like 200% damage. Isn't there a way where when you pick up the Sphere you go to a gun and gain 200% damage? So it works the same way as a berserk. Sure the gun will be there, but it would do almost no damage. But with the sphere it does.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I see what you mean, Space. Pretty sure that Berserk can't work that way though.

However, I was mistaken with something I said earlier. You can replace the fist with some new gun (say like a quad-SSG or something) and then remove that weapon from all players. So that is one way to go.

Been working with Worst's ideas this morning and have something pretty dynamic now. Although I'm sure it won't be good enough for Sir Sausage Laughing
Sr69Mm-jC
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Haxsphere Reply with quote

I demand printing the name of person who picks sphere up.

Code:
printbold(s:"\ci",n:0,s:"\cf has taken the Haxsphere!");
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't gotten as far as looking into if that was possible. Had no idea it was so easy! I'll add it to next version, for sure Wink

But for now, be content with this: haxmod_v2

Thanks to Worst for telling me about LOADACS this is now a fully portable modifier. So, rather than having to alter existing maps, it can simply be run as a patch on practically anything. Y'know, the way people used to use uigib13.wad to make instagib? You can run it on Dwango5, Brit10 - hell, you could run it on ZDCTF if you wanted to!
Note: it will only work on 1.09 servers though.

Only real problem encountered so far was when Selam timed-out while he was the Hax0r. Otherwise it should be all good.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v3 is all but done - aside from one annoying bug in the code. But then v2 seems to be running pretty smoothly, from what I've played. Although it is no fun in duels Laughing

So, InsaneKid sent me a PM, idk why he couldn't just post here...
InsaneKid wrote:
Can u make another item like this, too? :>
... to make it complete:
1 item to GIVE MORE dmg!

I thought I already said many times that increased damage is impossible?

InsaneKid wrote:
but i think, both items should have a
"wear out" option/ timelimit, too!?

Maybe... I just worked with (something like) the dynamic that Skulltag's Terminator mode uses. But timelimit could make matches more balanced...
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to play this one for a little bit. It was probably a combination of the ping, and the fact that I suck at ssging, but I found it impossible to take down teh haxor. I'm sure the plethora of health pickups in the maps didn't help though.

I was pondering a way to do this back in the day, with the spooky space base theme. I was thinking of stacking all the powerups on top of each other along with a bfg or plasma.

Think dark halls and low ceilings to hide the arrow here and there. :nudge nudge:

How about changing teh haxor into an imp or robocop or something? :one more nudge:

Op-Cow
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Op-Cow wrote:
Got to play this one for a little bit. It was probably a combination of the ping, and the fact that I suck at ssging, but I found it impossible to take down teh haxor.

I hope you weren't playing 1on1? The mod is really not intended for that!
I was speaking to Krawa about having an autojoin bot, so there are never less than 2 players in there.

Also, it's just never a good idea to go to head-to-head with teh hax0r. Spam him from a safe distance, or avoid like hell and concentrate on getting frags from the other players.

Op-Cow wrote:
I'm sure the plethora of health pickups in the maps didn't help though.

Indeed. Some of those Greenwar maps are better than others. Really the mod would work best on maps with no such pickups.

Op-Cow wrote:
Think dark halls and low ceilings to hide the arrow here and there. :nudge nudge:

Hrmm... like the guy doesn't have enough advantage already

Op-Cow wrote:
How about changing teh haxor into an imp or robocop or something? :one more nudge:

Ugh. I love the way you casually ask this as if it were remotely possible. It is not!
Jesus, I'm working at the cutting edge here as it is Sad
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe, just giving you hell.
Krille
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:

However, I was mistaken with something I said earlier. You can replace the fist with some new gun (say like a quad-SSG or something) and then remove that weapon from all players. So that is one way to go.

Is it possible to use Heretic weapons online (on a doom server) in 1.09?
If it is, then wouldnt it be possible to modify them to make them look
and act like the doom weapons?
And use their tomeofpower-states for increased damage.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krille wrote:
Is it possible to use Heretic weapons online (on a doom server) in 1.09?
If it is, then wouldnt it be possible to modify them to make them look
and act like the doom weapons?
And use their tomeofpower-states for increased damage.

Great idea! And yes, it is possible to use [url=http://zdr.nukelol.com/screenshots/big-guns.png=Heretic weapons[/url] now. However, it is nothing like simple to modify their behaviour. There's probably only about 3 people on Zdaemon that would know how.

Anyways, tomed-weapons are not necessarilly more powerful - eg the "flamethrower" is pretty lame.

Using Heretic weapons is definitely something I've considered though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Wad Editing All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: