ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZDaemon drop in popularity?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fluffles
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the amount of active competitive doom players is bigger back then but nowadays most people just play casually. Alot of the players in irc just play survival and those sort of game modes aswell. Most of the previous dedicated doom players dont care about clans anymore. Also alot of clan players like causing trouble and quite a few of them are now banned anyway.
Thadeuss
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure this thread really serves much purpose anymore(don't worry no lock or deletion, just opinion). ZD is less popular now, but it still has a massive community compared to most retro games.

Many of us who populated the servers every night for years have gotten a bit older (for some like me, really old :p ) and just don't have the time. I still play about once a week, but I play survival with the time I have because there is no buttache from it, and to be honest - it's more fun. I haven't played 1on1 or CTF in about two years.

I was at university when I started playing ZD, already a little bit older than most of the playerbase then. A few were of my age, in their twenties, a few older than that, but the vast majority were in their teens. We all had the time for different reasons, now those players are in their 20s or 30s, and while many still play, they don't have time to really add a lot. They don't post in the forums, they don't play publicly. Most play the excellent organised events.

But new players have come and there are more games going now than there were 2 years ago imo.

To me ZDaemon just goes through phases. When I first joined it was Coop that most played, then it was FFA & 1on1, then it was CTF, now it might be survival. Either way, we still have a great playerbase, but those who prefer a specific mode feel it the most when that mode becomes unpopular.

As a community we should all do our bit to promote ZD as much as possible. Get some some friends playing, post it on Facebook, Youtube, and anywhere else.

So to recap, yes fewer people play, but ZD is still better than crack.

EDIT: If we had a working replacement WAD which could be used and packaged with ZD then it would bring in a lot more players. They wouldn't have to own DOOM to play usermade WADS.
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thadeuss wrote:
If we had a working replacement WAD which could be used and packaged with ZD then it would bring in a lot more players. They wouldn't have to own DOOM to play usermade WADS.

We already do that indirectly. When someone installs ZDaemon, has no wads and tries to join any server the launcher will fetch freedoom whenever possible. When you check the detailed infos on most servers you'll see that most of them allow freedoom070.wad as an alternative to doom2.wad.
Thadeuss
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in that case I take that back :p Although it would be cool to have a ZD Iwad with community made maps.
Buli
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cha0tix wrote:
Chronique wrote:
junk

All you're showing is more idlers, less players.

How much important is for you to have a more players if 3/4 of them play in coopbuild and lavaworld? Also the players list is even in those screens.
cha0tix
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chronique wrote:
cha0tix wrote:
Chronique wrote:
junk

All you're showing is more idlers, less players.

How much important is for you to have a more players if 3/4 of them play in coopbuild and lavaworld? Also the players list is even in those screens.

You're in a thread talking about popularity and you're willing to disregard actual players playing to focus on IRC scroll bar as your main source of information. How about instead you tell me how much more important an IRC scroll bar is to the player count in terms of game popularity?
Buli
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
scroll bar is to the player count in terms of game popularity?

Justly wanted to mean, with a tone of humor, that most of those guys who "complain" about Zd popularity, competitions & cie, are now Idling in IRC/forums...

Btw you don't need to quote the previous post.
lippy
overactive hormones

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to see some of you are still around.
Skater
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still around and a few years ago I received my AARP card.

Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Quiksilver
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plastic Indian wrote:
Quiksilver wrote:
I have a kid and a fiance and school and work and yadda yadda..... but I still get on pretty much 1-6 times a week.

so what you saying is that DOOM is still a priority over your kid and fiance....

noice! Razz

Haha, its tourettes! Anyway, yea, some nights, indeed, it does. Those nights are.... when no one else is around.

Also, Zdaemon needs a circlejerk sub forum where we can post these doom sayer posts and have it laughed at and mocked. Actually, at this point, all these threads are is a bunch of mockery, no one who's worth having around thinks its dying. If they did, they wouldn't be worth having around! Amirite guise?? DAE COLBY 2012!? UPBOATS TO THE LEFT!

PS They need to make a ZD subreddit so we can migrate off these old forums! good comments can get upvoted there!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
t8
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched to a Mac and haven't had time to play in years

I am purely playing by myself now... I download random wads from doomworld.com/idgames and probably play 1 or 2 hours total a week.

It's the best way to decompress and relax when my girlfriend isn't around
Empyre
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t8 wrote:
I switched to a Mac and haven't had time to play in years

I am purely playing by myself now... I download random wads from doomworld.com/idgames and probably play 1 or 2 hours total a week.

It's the best way to decompress and relax when my girlfriend isn't around

Try also http://wadhost.fathax.com/download.php for wads.
Buli
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather post that : http://wads.coffeenet.org/zips/
runkman
Dominating!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still play every now and then. Maybe once in two weeks in average. It is fun to have some nice duels once in a while Smile
Buli
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know it is fun to play a duel, but it is better to play more duels Rolling Eyes
BatonRouge
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DooM is nearly 20 years old, no other game has accomplished what DooM has with the help of ZDaemon......Thanks to the ZDaemon crew.
Nsyncfan
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woot
_Beast_
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BatonRouge wrote:
DooM is nearly 20 years old, no other game has accomplished what DooM has with the help of ZDaemon......Thanks to the ZDaemon crew.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: