ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TNS #22 - Mini-level megawad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Thursday Night Survival
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[FEAR]Tobi
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: TNS #22 - Mini-level megawad Reply with quote

This week's wad is called Mini-level megawad, which means 30 (+2) rather small maps, therefore we will play all of them in one session.
2xMonster Damage is on, but in order to compensate it a bit, Respawn Mega Items will be on as well and probably there will be enough players anyway.

DMFLAGS: 134562084 / 269615456
    Skill: Ultra Violence
    PWADs: mlm12
    tskins1e
    miekskins-r3
    No maplist (there are 30 maps + 2 insane secret maps, try to find the secret exit in map15)
    Lives: 1
    Players: 20/50
    add_cvaroverride map01 sv_nofreelook "false"
    add_cvaroverride map30 sv_nofreelook "true"

The Euro session starts at 20:00 GMT / 15:00 EST
The US session starts at 01:00 GMT / 20:00 EST
Anima Zero
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! This is one of those wads that doesn't seem to get much talk at all which is a little surprising.

The design feels similar to Khorus' Speedy Shit at times. Enemy count isn't insane, but the levels still provide a pretty damn good challenge all around.

Can't wait to see this in action this week and to see what my eventual recording will bring out in terms of hilarity.
InsaneDoomer
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played this when it first came out in 2009. Good megawad, overlooked, comparable in ways to Scythe or KSSHT.

Also Anima Zero is correct here in spades regarding the difficulty. In fact there are some slaughtermaps. But more so I definitely remember needing quite a few tries to get through many levels here in single player, especially in the second half of the wad. And yes this was a few years ago, but it was also on HMP, not UV.

I'd say it's a better analog to KSSHT than Scythe - but all three sets have their similarities and differences, these two are the logical choices for TNS because these seem to have difficulty fit for that plus Scythe gets loads and loads of attention when these other sets just sit around. But this wad should have gotten a cacoward like Scythe and KSSHT, instead of a couple choices from its year (2009) that were IMO far inferior, at least for gameplay. If you liked KSSHT I think you'll like this almost for sure, and if not you still might, since like I said it has its own styles too.

Should serve up a very tasty session, I think. Smile

Note: As all of these maps are small make-it-or-break-it affairs, there probably isn't a huge need for respawn allowances, joining time limits, or other tings I talked about last week here. However, when wads with full-sized levels return, I think they should definitely very much be considered. (See my most recent posts in the last TNS - Alien Vendetta Part II - for my ideas.)
Alteus
Altues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, i havent played this wad yet. See you at session!
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played some, got annoyed.

The map sizes/monster counts were ideal for TNS, but there were still bugbears like people joining late and then finishing the map in under a minute, and then there's the damage thing again...

Part of playing Doom is about taking hitdamage, and then how you deal with it. Did you see what shot you? Can you take it out? Should you run for more health first? The omgroflpwnz0r monster damage removes all those aspects. Reminds me of some oldskool arcade scrolling shoot'em-up, where you could never finish some levels until you had all the enemy attack patterns memorised. Until then, you'd keep getting k-lined by something(s) coming from some unexpected direction. Difference was that those games always gave you 3 lives Wink
Cleo555
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The small maps were perfect for survival but also made for very difficult dodging because of fellow doomers. Every session I'm annoyed by the one-hit monster kills especially since I always get stuck playing euro with 170 ping trying to dodge homing missiles.
Anima Zero
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my highlights video uploaded this morning. Another huge one here, clocking in at 1:22:39, even longer than AV part 2. Of course, we did the entire megawad and even got roughly halfway into a 2nd rotation, so there's that at least.

Still, the usual hijinks, deaths, and me ALMOST proving I can play well on a couple occasions are on the video for this session.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxur8eJuJaM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Thursday Night Survival All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: