ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TNS #19 - Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Thursday Night Survival
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evolution
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: TNS #19 - Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time! Reply with quote

Vampire is really busy at the mo so he'll be giving us the good stuff next week's instalment. Worst found an nice xmas-themed gem tonight for all of us to get all festive. Let's hope you've been preparing for your feast a few days early because this wad is packed with demon-turkey! We have a top secret resource pwad under construction in our high-tech TNS labs too which will be announced here soon enough! Wink

DMFLAGS: 67190820 / 269892352
    Skill: Ultra Violence
    PWADs: Whitemare, ???
    Maps: 01-15, 32, 16
    Lives: 1
    Players: 25/50

The Euro session starts at 20:00 GMT (that's 15:00 EST)
The US session starts at 20:00 EST (that's 01:00 GMT)

Merry Christmas from the TNS team (& santa's little helper, Phenex2)
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Bit lame? Reply with quote

A lot has been made of the attendance that TNS gets - which is no bad thing - but how many of those that join the servers spend a significant amount of time playing, before they buy the farm?

I saw that map08 took over 20 mins to complete? Or, to put it another way, that's up to 20mins of idle time for many of the folks in the server! I always considered shorter, lower monster count maps as the way to go for community survival games. That or give more than one life. That one map should really have been checked at the door IMO.

These events are only really useful if they get people playing, and having wads that are too cramped for 16+ players to push past each other is dumb too. Big w00t if I manage to survive a game because I'm simply unable to get anywhere near pole position, to even see a monster Rolling Eyes

Don't forget that just because we can have 50 players in a server, it doesn't always make for the best games. Could TNS perhaps be split over two 10way servers instead?

Anyways, I went to play some of this in SP, and then got annoyed when I got stuck in a rock formation on the very first damn map. That would have really pissed me off if it'd happened in the Survival server...
EarthQuake
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I was disappointed because not only was the wad not very coop friendly (vanilla-style bridges anyone?) but the one-shot-kill revenant missiles were still way too much. Didn't anyone learn anything when we last did 4x monster damage? I don't find survival fun when I'm taken out by a single projectile, and then forced to sit out for 10-15 minutes. Hell, the final map had damage applied to the starting sector, and I spawned with 6 health from the last map where I got hit with one missile. Sitting out the previous map wasn't too bad, but not even getting a chance to participate in the next one is maddening.

Either some shorter and more robust maps need to be selected, or the server needs to be set up so it's not as difficult. Not trying to take stabs at TNS, but I don't really seem to be enjoying myself lately with the insane damage multipliers...
Anima Zero
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, the issue was with the maps not being coop friendly more than "lol 4x damage". That starting room with damaging sector was indeed a really dumb move by whomever created it. Not to mention some maps are just plain boring (map 9 I believe which has meager as crap weaponry and a way too huge map filled with strong monsters).

Reason we had 4x damage for last week's TNS is the fact that even with 2x damage, you'd be able to get past everything with tons of players. Considering the top # of players last week, yeah.

Also, 4x damage didn't start until the 2nd rotation so you might have popped in during the 2nd rotation.

Is 4x Dmg stupid? Depends on the wad. For something like this, it's kind of a middleground because the maps are so not coop friendly, yet there's not that many maps and not exactly challenging when some of them take like a minute to clear at most.

4x dmg should only be utilized for wads with small maps (Scythe's early maps are a good example of this), and only then should be activated on a 2nd rotation.

Still, I had a fun time playing yesterday. I'll see what I can extract from my recording and post something up this weekend. It won't be as long as last week's though I assure you.
Sr69Mm-jC
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are forgetting one thing. You who set up the sessions are skilled, long-time Doomers. 1x/2x damage might be too easy for you so you set it to 4x to make it challenging.
But have you thought of players of lower skill levels? Or maybe of those who just want to relax and shoot some shit, just like I personally do?

These players only have two options:
a. Stay behind your teammates and out of action (not fun)
b. Go into action, immediately die and sit out the rest of the round (not fun)
I cannot even tell whether I liked the wad or not; I didn't have much of a chance to play it, mostly I was just flying around studying the maps after I got killed already.

Why must these sessions even be tough as hell? Why not just create THR (Tuesday Hardcore Rape) session instead :S
Raider
Lazy Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was too difficult for me. I'm sure it's due to my lack of skill. Never the less I became frustrated and moved to another server, as did other people. I think people would stay longer if they could "survive" a while longer.
dewww
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first rotation of the wad is supposed to be fairly normal survival business, no 'roflpwnage' stuff. i thought khorus speedy shit was supposed to be an exception, because of the tiny size of the maps. i skipped whitemare simply because i know the wad has lacklustre design and is not much fun to play. combining the hc settings and a mehh wad sounds like a hiccup in judgement, not a reason to start changing the core principles of TNS (which seem to be extremely popular, btw).
SwiftShot
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SR69MM-JC wrote:
But have you thought of players of lower skill levels? Or maybe of those who just want to relax and shoot some shit, just like I personally do?

b. Go into action, immediately die and sit out the rest of the round (not fun)

Why must these sessions even be tough as hell? Why not just create THR (Tuesday Hardcore Rape) session instead :S

I understand what you mean, but you have to remember that you're playing survival here, and not co-op. Yeah, the wad settings may have been a little over the top (I wouldn't know, haven't tested it myself yet) but there's more skill involved in survival, than co-op, and "relaxing and shooting shit" seems more suited for Ronald's FMM sessions than here in TNS. Personally l like the settings to be hard, because I enjoy the challenge of trying to survive on extreme circumstances, rather running aimlessly around a map, taking about 10 hits from demons and still having about 75hp left to run into more demons with.
Sr69Mm-jC
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwiftShot wrote:
Personally l like the settings to be hard, because I enjoy the challenge of trying to survive on extreme circumstances, rather running aimlessly around a map, taking about 10 hits from demons and still having about 75hp left to run into more demons with.

I agree it's not very fun to play something too easy, however taking 1 hit and having 0 hp left is completely another sort of thing..
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Cyberdemons should be banned from Survival then Razz
Evolution
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We saw this session as an opportunity to laze about and cook up something quite different (something fairly underlooked that worsty happened to stumble upon at the last minute). Testing was just a matter of looking at the maps and seeing a nice monster count; and a few interesting areas here and there. I felt that players wouldn't mind so much about any insane choices from us this week.

I was in the server from session start but had some people over and was getting drunk so I only checked up on tricks every other hour - seeing a busy euro server and tabbing out, so I only caught the business right here. Sorry that we let you guys down.

We most certainly will be back to our standard awesomeness this Thursday. Wink
Anima Zero
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to think you and worst had to come up with something within in a day or so in very quick order, thusly you didn't have as much time to test and do a quick playthrough of this wad.

What I imagine rubbed some people the wrong way (Do not quote me on this, I'm merely making an assumption here Razz) is that not knowing what that super secret resource wad was until the servers went up seemed a little dumb. Possibly moreso when it was last week's wad that was responsible for 2x damage with some christmas stuff added in (Which I have to admit was funny. No Santa Viles or Cybies with Santa Hats though DSmile.

Even though I couldn't find ANY sort of highlights from what I recorded (Map 9? Took like 50 minutes for how stupid that map is and nothing interesting happened to boot), I had fun just relaxing and playing like my usual goof self.

Like I heard watching a LP once which could apply here...everyone gets one trainwreck session/video/whatever. After that, you have to do...things. We won't talk about those things on here, haha.

Can't wait to see what this week will bring (Eternal Doom part 2 or Alien Vendetta part 2 please please please Very Happy).
dewww
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anima Zero wrote:
Alien Vendetta part 2 please please please :D).

!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Thursday Night Survival All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: