ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FMM #001 - Scythe
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: FMM #001 - Scythe Reply with quote

Ronald, in another thread wrote:
Sooooo, what do we play on friday? Confused

Coop is the answer! That's right, Friday's Monster Mash is the name of our new weekly event which will be organised every friday from now on, starting tonight! From now on, your eyes will see red from blood every friday. That blood isn't coming from other players. No! It's coming from splattered Cyberdemons and smelly Cacodemons and of course all other creatures we encounter. Besides pumping monsters full of lead, other objectives will be finding keys and secrets and of course, eventually, the exit. And on friday, you get to have unlimited lives doing all that!

Join in every friday on this crazy and fun event, so we can play side by side. I'm looking forward playing with you!

Now, for this first week we are going to run a classic I'm sure every die hard Zdaemon player played before. Scythe! Let's see what the text file that comes with the wad says:

A 32 level megawad for doom2. This megawad doesn't have perfect texture alignment, insane detail and fantasticly hard gameplay. Instead it focuses on small fun maps to blast through without much thought about defense. The difficulty rises steadily as you go through the maps and the last few should challenge even the best.

I think that textfile describes it best. I have nothing more to add! I'll see you tonight!

Session times

The European session starts at 19:00 BST / 14:00 EDT (that's 18:00 GMT)
The US session starts at 01:00 BST / 20:00 EDT (that's 00:00 GMT)

Last edited by Ronald on Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sr69Mm-jC
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.
jacky40411
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to join all of ZDaemon Programs!!!
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacky40411 wrote:

Nobody is stopping you! And I saw you were there for a while, I hope you had fun! Yeah, we played a full rotation in about 2,5 hours. There were quite a few people there for the session and I'm sure many of them enjoyed, even though the session was announced very late. Despite that, I think it went very well and I hope we will have more fun games like we had tonight in the upcoming weeks.

Some screenshots too:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. Genius move there, going head-to-head with FNF. Who else but Rontard...

The enthusiam is good, but FFS please stop filling up every night with yet another damn event! Maybe people - aside from Jacky - don't want to feel like they have to be tied to Zdaemon every single night of the week to catch the best games?
dewww
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
Ugh. Genius move there, going head-to-head with FNF.

yeah, the confrontation with fnf is blatant, however i assume this is aimed at coop, so it potentially competes with evo's survival sessions as well. this event will drain tns's wad reservoir without distinguishing itself in a unique manner.
Sr69Mm-jC
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but what the hell is FNF?
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, I thought you were more clued-up than that. Oh well, FNF is a long-standing event on a 'rival' port. So long-standing in fact, it was probably the inspiration for the first iteration of ZDS. (For the history nerds, ZDS is currently on it's third outing.)

The hilarious part is that they are, at this very moment, running a project of Roland's (which he chose to develop over there because it wasn't technically possible here). So the choice is to play a Rontard WAD or a Rontard event?
That'd be a no-brainer, much like the man himself Razz

Basically, what he's done here is to build a Burger King right next door to a McRonalds.
Sr69Mm-jC
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for explanation Cybershark. And yeah I get outside of ZDaemon maybe just like once in a couple of months :P
SwiftShot
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second what CShark says, although it's always nice to have new ways and idea's to bring our community from irc into the servers.

This time last year we had ZDS on a Saturday night, now we have:

1) Monday ...
    2) Tuesday ...
    3) Wednesday - WNF
    4) Thursday - TNS
    5) Friday -FMM
    6) Saturday - ZDS
    7) Sunday - FYBO

Personally I'm not a coop fan, well not anymore after survival was introduced. I don't see the challenge in playing a map, dying 50 times from spawning infront of a cyber (LA worlds cough ... cough) and then finally getting to the exit. There is a challenge to survival, and some strategy to it. It's not like you can run into a room full of hell knights wielding a chainsaw with no fear, if you die, then you ain't going to respawn again (pending server settings). And that in my opinion is the thrill of survival, over coop.

Don't get me wrong, as I said above, I think it's great that were all thinking of new methods to get people in the servers, but IMHO, i think were over doing it a little now. Whats next, DDOM for Tuesday night, 1-1 sessions for Monday? Like CShark says, some of us need a few days off without feeling guilty were missing some sort of event ;)

Anyway, best of luck running this Ronaldo.
jacky40411
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
jacky40411 wrote:

Nobody is stopping you! And I saw you were there for a while, I hope you had fun! Yeah, we played a full rotation in about 2,5 hours. There were quite a few people there for the session and I'm sure many of them enjoyed, even though the session was announced very late. Despite that, I think it went very well and I hope we will have more fun games like we had tonight in the upcoming weeks.

I hate the godda*n Ping,but never mind. I had a lot of fun! Very Happy

Because I am more afraid that I feel lonely...

(After I was killed from ZRC, I feel lonelier than before.) Crying or Very sad
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
The enthusiam is good, but FFS please stop filling up every night with yet another damn event! Maybe people - aside from Jacky - don't want to feel like they have to be tied to Zdaemon every single night of the week to catch the best games?

I think the last thing we want is people to feel tied to Zdaemon every night of the week. What we do want is people to have a good time on Zdaemon, and if yet another special event like this can help to achieve this, then I don't see why we're doing a bad thing here? On top of that, each event has its own key gamemode it's focussing on. Not all people like all gamemodes. I think it's good that there's something to choose from.

dewww wrote:
yeah, the confrontation with fnf is blatant, however i assume this is aimed at coop, so it potentially competes with evo's survival sessions as well. this event will drain tns's wad reservoir without distinguishing itself in a unique manner.

We're not trying to compete here with either FNF or TNS. I think Swiftshot's post explains an important difference between Coop and Survival. And even though I agree with him to some point, there are always people that don't have the required skills to play a good game of Survival. It's not fun to play Survival if you get to play for a minute and die, and then have to wait before one of the survivors to get to the exit, which can take a very long time. Coop is more accessible for those people. That + the fact you don't have the stress to survive in coop may be another reason to prefer Coop over Survival. Bottom line is that I think both events serve a different group of players and thus are not competing.

jacky40411 wrote:
I hate the godda*n Ping,but never mind. I had a lot of fun! Very Happy

I'm glad to hear that buddy! And make sure you get your ass unbanned!
jacky40411
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm glad to hear that buddy! And make sure you get your ass unbanned!

get my ass unbanned? What does it mean?
Thadeuss
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand what people are saying about this competing with FNF and infringing on TNS. If anything it probably would have been better to have made this a deathmatch mode with a server selected with a good number of 1on1 wads. That would have been my bet for another game night; many of us old timers would have got involved in that!

However, I think if Ron ensures that this event has a very specific mandate then it can work, not take away from TNS, and be a lot of fun. There is a very large difference between COOP and Survival imo and there are wads which would work brilliantly with one mode and not the other. For me a COOP wad now should be one that is all but impossible to get through via survival. Something like Drowned in Blood 2 with the supergun pwad. I absolutely loved that WAD, but for me it just wouldn't do for survival.

If Ron, Evo, and the ZDS lads get together, hopefully they can come up with a bunch of WADS that would work for this and wouldn't take away from the other events. I do worry now that we are in danger of leaving ZDS in the dark with all of these game events which really will drain the WAD pool. That being said, there are ways around this, and there are WADS that could be chosen for this event but wouldn't be for any other.

The other point about special events; I for one think these are a brilliant idea, and also don't see ANY problem with there being an event every week night. The DOOM community, and as a result ZDAEMON, is much smaller now than it was 5 years ago. ZD still has a massive community compared to most online retro gaming communities, but we are only adapting to the smaller numbers of players the way that EVERY other retro community does. Most of these groups have to organise games or events like this to get a game. Also, many of us can't play very often due to RL commitments; the idea of being able to jump on ZD any night and get a round of games is pretty awesome and suits the more inactive status of the community.

So I think instead of lambasting Ron and this event, we should wish him good luck and get some good WAD choices out there to him!

EDIT: There is also a sizeable section of the community that simply does not like the finite nature of Survival and will lap this game mode up.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did God hand out monopolies on Friday events? I thought not. Then there is nothing wrong with a ZD event on Friday since it doesnt' conflict with other ZD events. And coop is not the same as survival; even if they were the same, we're not talking about 2 events on the same day: are we?

About event overload, you ain't seen nothing yet. Laughing If you feel guilty about missing some event, I suggest you see a doctor about it. Most people are interested in finding some nice game when they have some free time (since many don't); so the more events we have, the higher the chances they'll be accomodated; and that's good.

I know one thing: we should all be thankful to Ronald for investing time and energy to organize the event. This is something that can be fun for people and doesn't have any potential negative effects. So why people moan and complain like a bunch of grandmas? if you don't like it, then don't play it; but don't criticize people that try to do some good for this community.
dewww
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kilgore, i agree that more = better, however here we have survival on thursday and coop on friday. true, they are not the same, but they're fairly close. especially so with choices like scythe, an easy wad designed for speedrunning/speedmaxing. i welcome the effort, however the execution is somewhat imperfect, to say it diplomatically. were i in evo's place, i'd be left with the impression i have to compete with this event. swift's ctf even on wednesday is not competing with either and creates no ripples... perhaps the "layout" of all these events throughout the week should've been planned better before others started piggybacking on the sudden explosion of interest.
Thadeuss
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that is needed is a little PM between Evo and Ron to make sure they don't run the same WADS close to one another. Like I said before, there are WADS which are suited to COOP and not Survival, so I don't see a problem with it. I think it's great that all of these events are happening. All we need now is to get something going on Tuesday and Monday, and I'll be very happy knowing that if I have a little bit of time to play at night, there'll be some great games going on.

On topic: Drowned in Blood Ron! Wink
jacky40411
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thadeuss wrote:

On topic: Drowned in Blood Ron! Wink

Where is TimeOfDeath?
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
Did God hand out monopolies on Friday events? I thought not. Then there is nothing wrong with a ZD event on Friday since it doesnt' conflict with other ZD events. And coop is not the same as survival; even if they were the same, we're not talking about 2 events on the same day: are we?

Yes, 2 events on the same day - and even time - is exactly what we're talking about. Sure, there will be players that don't play both ports, but still, it's simple common sense to avoid the overlap.
Rest assured that I used to bitch over on ST when they ran their Saturday night 'Nexus' events too Wink

Kilgore wrote:
...don't criticize people that try to do some good for this community.

If I think something is misjudged then, yes, I will disagree with it. And Prawnald knew that'd be incoming, because I already explained my objection way before he actually went ahead with this.

Anyways, as Thad (and others) said, there's not likely to be so much crossover between the worlds of Co-op and Survival. And now I'm going to go finalise my plans for a new Monday night lolapolooza. It's going to be called GPO - Go Play Outside Twisted Evil
The Ultimate DooMer
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with having an event (any port) on each day...after all, what's better - playing something different each night, or playing zdctf each night?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Friday's Monster Mash All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: