ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZDaemon Ping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JKist3
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: ZDaemon Ping Reply with quote

ZDaemon ping. Does anyone understand how this actually works? As most of you probably know there is a difference between the ping you get in game and the ping you see on zlauncher, with the in game being greater than the zlauncher ping. I had always assumed this was due to the actual ping from you to the server and any additional game tic lag in the game. (doom runs at 35 frames per second…. 1 second/35 = ~.028 seconds = 28 ms) so depending on how in sync u are with the server you can have anywhere from 0 to 28 ms over what u see in zlauncher. That’s what I had assumed for a while, and it seemed to make sense, as usually the in game ping fluctuates with the minimum being what you see on zlauncher and the maximum being probably not more than 28 ms greater than zlauncher. Also it might explain why 28 ms and 56 ms (multiple of 28 ms) pings are seen a lot more than say 25 ms or 51 ms, I dunno.

Anyway, lately I’ve been seeing some strange behavior that I don’t completely understand. For instance my zlauncher ping to DUI NJ and Dallas TX servers are near identical.(at the time of this post zlauncher shows an identical 31 ping to each); however, in game it’s completely different. My ping is usually about 30 in DUI NJ, but in Dallas it averages in the 50’s. If the zlauncher pings are nearly the same shouldn’t the in game pings average to nearly the same too? I understand if the in game ping is greater but shouldn’t they average to be greater by the same amount for both servers in this case? And I don’t think the displayed in game ping is false in this regard either….. DUI NJ feels good to me, whereas in Dallas I get a bunch of blank ssg shots, I'm a lot slower, and I often hit walls when moving that I would not be hitting on other servers.

Another weird example…. Chewy and I were trying to find a fair server to play in for our upcoming ZDDL finals match. We both joined DUI NJ to see how our pings compared. In DUI NJ ZDDL #1 he pinged on average 30ms, but on DUI NJ ZDDL #2 he probably averaged 40ms or higher, with his in game ping fluctuating above 50 sometimes. This NEVER happened on DUI NJ ZDDL #1. We verified this numerous times…. What can possibly be an explanation for this? Are the 2 zddl servers on DUI NJ on different boxes or something? Maybe DUI NJ as a whole is running too many servers to get optimal performance? I’m not sure. Hopefully some knowledgeable players or developers can shed some light on this whole mystery….
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both ZDDL instances are run on the same box on DUI NJ.

I check the box frequently, it is not under any strain, plenty of memory available aswell.

As far as comparing pings received in the launcher and in-game, they will never be identical; This applies to any game out there, have seen this quite often.

Anyway, if you've got any queries regarding DUI NJ, PM me directly rather than making a post, it can then be looked into.

Note: When sending a PM, please indicate exactly what the query is so I can read it later if I happen to be away from the keyboard at the time.
Fluffles
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In every zdaemon server or alot of game servers I always found my ping was generally a little lower on the client rather than the actual server. But this was for every server. If you find out the problem say I'd love to know what causes it
SwiftShot
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mexican Internet is the best!

Nati46
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed very weird behaviour which happens both in ZDLauncher and IDE: In the server list the ping shows around 70 to one server, but 150 to the other (They are both part of the same server cluster and have totally similiar IPs, the only difference is the port - 10668 or 10670 etc.) It seems that the server launcher ping does not represent what I will get to that particular server, as the 70 ping server has given me 150ms ingame at times, and the 150 giving me 70ms ingame at times. What is even more bizarre, is that closing the Client and Relaunching it in the server changes my Ingame ping back to 70 after one or two attempts. This weird phenomena is the only thing out of what I had mentioned which only seems to happen in ZDaemon(The rest happen in ST and Odamex aswell.)
DevastatioN
God like!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the ZLauncher ping is the real ping, that you will receive by actually pinging and tracing the server.

JKist is looking for an in-depth explanation about how the ingame ping is calculated. Which has to do with the tics I believe, at least that's how the old system worked.

Spiking from 70 to 150 and back and forth, can be caused by spikes as the server was refreshed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
_Godlike_
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UBR]SwiftShot wrote:
Mexican Internet is the best!

hahaha simply awesome, no wonder reck bitches about his ping all the damn time rofl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
niv
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ZDaemon Ping Reply with quote

JKist3 wrote:
ZDaemon ping. Does anyone understand how this actually works? As most of you probably know there is a difference between the ping you get in game and the ping you see on zlauncher, with the in game being greater than the zlauncher ping. I had always assumed this was due to the actual ping from you to the server and any additional game tic lag in the game. (doom runs at 35 frames per second…. 1 second/35 = ~.028 seconds = 28 ms) so depending on how in sync u are with the server you can have anywhere from 0 to 28 ms over what u see in zlauncher. That’s what I had assumed for a while, and it seemed to make sense, as usually the in game ping fluctuates with the minimum being what you see on zlauncher and the maximum being probably not more than 28 ms greater than zlauncher. Also it might explain why 28 ms and 56 ms (multiple of 28 ms) pings are seen a lot more than say 25 ms or 51 ms, I dunno.

Anyway, lately I’ve been seeing some strange behavior that I don’t completely understand. For instance my zlauncher ping to DUI NJ and Dallas TX servers are near identical.(at the time of this post zlauncher shows an identical 31 ping to each); however, in game it’s completely different. My ping is usually about 30 in DUI NJ, but in Dallas it averages in the 50’s. If the zlauncher pings are nearly the same shouldn’t the in game pings average to nearly the same too? I understand if the in game ping is greater but shouldn’t they average to be greater by the same amount for both servers in this case? And I don’t think the displayed in game ping is false in this regard either….. DUI NJ feels good to me, whereas in Dallas I get a bunch of blank ssg shots, I'm a lot slower, and I often hit walls when moving that I would not be hitting on other servers.

Another weird example…. Chewy and I were trying to find a fair server to play in for our upcoming ZDDL finals match. We both joined DUI NJ to see how our pings compared. In DUI NJ ZDDL #1 he pinged on average 30ms, but on DUI NJ ZDDL #2 he probably averaged 40ms or higher, with his in game ping fluctuating above 50 sometimes. This NEVER happened on DUI NJ ZDDL #1. We verified this numerous times…. What can possibly be an explanation for this? Are the 2 zddl servers on DUI NJ on different boxes or something? Maybe DUI NJ as a whole is running too many servers to get optimal performance? I’m not sure. Hopefully some knowledgeable players or developers can shed some light on this whole mystery….

Just a guess, but the difference in ping values may be attributable to the fact that in the launcher you are just firing a UDP packet at the server and waiting for it to come back, whilst in the game you are engaged in a full duplex UDP "connection" (UDP doesn't have connections, really, but one is simulated for the purposes of the game).

If you were to do a real ping to the server (ICMP-based, using the ping command-line tool, you'd almost certainly get a lower value than the launcher value, because it's the kernel answering the ICMP ping, whereas it's a user application answering the UDP ping, and the kernel sees things first - it's the core of the OS).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: