ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[LA] Lava World
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[LA]FLunky
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: [LA] Lava World Reply with quote

Last edited by [LA]FLunky on Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
EarthQuake
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wish.
phenex2
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe a far more important question is this: Is trolling a art or an science?
DanDare
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question....
I think it's both
It's the state-of-the-art of assholes science.

Rolling Eyes
ManoLO
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess a far more important question is: Whats less Wurst? Brit10 or Teamkill Servers? Laughing
rygrass
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you Serious? Question is far to large to ask?

Top ten since 2001?
Top seen since this year?
Top ten since ten minutes ago?

No trolling severs don't qualify......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful people, I believe we are dealing with "the insane German kid" in disguise here. Approach wiz caution.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SwiftShot
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played this 'Lava World' server the other day for about 10 minutes. No offence to you but it I thought it was awful. It's obvious you have created this wad based on dbzone, and even made a thread lower down asking to enable team damage Shocked Laughing
[LA]FLunky
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

envious hollow heads, lava world is successful, many people love to play it the lava world, all are jealous, have fun with survival; D
EarthQuake
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about being smug.
You want the awful truth? Well here it comes...

Your server only attracts attention because newbies don't really know any better (and the prospect of being able to troll about without consequence). I have yet to see any sensible, respectable person in any of your servers. Why is that? Because you're a newbie (beginner) yourself. Anyone who has played a decent wad or two will instantly recognize upon joining that these are just another run of mediocre wads without a whole lot of substance. The levels are bland, repetative, annoying, and uninteresting, and are supplimented with a bunch of resources that don't add anything to the overall product except bloat. This is usually what happens when someone starts off ambitious, leaps into the "advanced" stuff, and completely neglects appealing level design and gameplay.

If you want any respect around here, especially those of us who have been playing this game for a long time (perhaps longer than you have been alive!), then you'll lose your egotistical, arrogant attitude and start making us some humble, noteworthy, long-lasting material that appeals to more than a handful of players who can't differentiate between a good wad, a decent wad, and a poor one.

If you think I'm wrong about any of the above, then sadly you are mistaken. 17 years of playing this game has given me the ability to identify worthy material, not to mention the 13 years of experience mapping for this great game. If you want advice for improving your mapping, then by all means ask, but please drop the smug attitude, for your own sake. We don't want another Mr. Rocket incident.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: [LA] Lava World Reply with quote

[LA]Larissa wrote:
is Lava World in the top 10 of the most popular servers?

Quite possibly, but people play Trazerver as well. In both cases it says more about the players than it does about the authors' talent.
Personally I'm more excited about the OBLIGE material going up on ZDS tonight Laughing

EarthQuake wrote:
The levels are bland, repetative, annoying, and uninteresting, and are supplimented with a bunch of resources that don't add anything to the overall product except bloat.

I can't comment on the maps, because everytime I think about joining an LA server GetWAD tells me that it's another 25meg+ download and I know that shit will be all 'music', so I don't bother.

EarthQuake wrote:
If you want any respect around here, especially those of us who have been playing this game for a long time (perhaps longer than you have been alive!), then you'll lose your egotistical, arrogant attitude and start making us some humble, noteworthy, long-lasting material that appeals to more than a handful of players who can't differentiate between a good wad, a decent wad, and a poor one.

Maybe stop pretending to be a bear also.

EarthQuake wrote:
We don't want another Mr. Rocket incident.

I do!! Twisted Evil
To be fair, that was pretty fun in places, and it did inspire Ghoulslayer to make a real map. Maybe this can do the same?
[LA]FLunky
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"ALL PEOPLES COME TO LAVA WORLD FOR TROLLING"

THIS IS WORNG!!
not all peoples come to troll, i know many peoples ,they have play all maps from lava world and was longer then 1 hour on a map.
Geit-vd-plas
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, lava world is a pretty good server and I enjoy many hours of playtime there... you all should be a little bit more open minded!

Btw, it's a great place to hang out too!
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we were worng. Sad
pErf3ct _DaRk_
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geit-vd-plas wrote:
I agree, lava world is a pretty good server and I enjoy many hours of playtime there... you all should be a little bit more open minded!

Btw, it's a great place to hang out too!

Expect him to not understand the real meaning of this post. Smile
atarimaniac212
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was okay. A LOT of pitfalls and hazards though. Maybe if you make another you should make it more challenging by putting some lost souls around those slim lines just to be cruel. Twisted Evil Besides that you did an amazing job and was even able to make it downloadable which is more than I can say. I made my own map trying to replace some of the doom1 maps. So far I only managed to make a lobby for when you enter the base.
Glitchologteam
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EarthQuake wrote:

If you think I'm wrong about any of the above, then sadly you are mistaken. 17 years of playing this game has given me the ability to identify worthy material, not to mention the 13 years of experience mapping for this great game.

Well personnaly, this is not because you say that wads are poor that people have to agree with you. Also, I think that quality and fun factor of a wad are 2 thing VERY DIFFERENT that SHOULD not be put in the same boat. Im not here to say that what you just said is crap, I know some of your great wads and your importance to zdaemon but you have to think that some people simply don't care about a wad quality.

As a side note, I agree with Geit-vd-plas. Lava world is a great server to play while chatting with the other players. I don't personnaly care if the level is uninspired or not. Fun Factor first.
[LA]FLunky
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all peoples are jealous here not more ;DD
SwiftShot
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So god damn jealous. It's 3am and I'm crying myself to sleep right now.
EarthQuake
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glitchologteam wrote:
Well personnaly, this is not because you say that wads are poor that people have to agree with you. Also, I think that quality and fun factor of a wad are 2 thing VERY DIFFERENT that SHOULD not be put in the same boat. Im not here to say that what you just said is crap, I know some of your great wads and your importance to zdaemon but you have to think that some people simply don't care about a wad quality.

Okay. So I decided to play through all of it just so I could see how fun this wad really is.

I start off in a beautifully detailed brown room. With brown floors. And a brown imp. There is a brown shotgun in front of me, which I quickly use to dispatch the threatening imp standing between me and a series of dead ends with locked doors of various colors. A soul sphere is taunting me. I want it so bad.

After dealing with the imp and it's fellow demon, I drop down and emerge from the orthogonally-constructed cave into this extravagant canyon with lava running it's course along the bottom. There are of course, monsters placed in the most conspicuous places by the author, amongst them some imps tossing some fireballs my way. It looks like a long way down, and that lava must hurt.

After roaming around some cozy 64-wide tunnels, patiently picking off monsters one-by-one (because that's the only way they can approach me), I come to an area with some purple and red scrolling textures. I am slightly displeased because I think those textures should be brown to match the surrounding area. Eventually, after doing some more housecleaning (and roaming around some more tight corridors, and opting out of any unnecessary jump puzzles), I'm greeted with a purple keycard and OH GOD WHAT WAS THAT NOISE JUST NOW. I can now return to the purple door and proceed with my quest for the inevitable other 5 keycards (because when you have a purple one, you gotta have 5 other differently colored keys). Oh boy! I can hardly contain myself at this point because I love key hunts! There is even a teleport to conveniently take me back to the door so I don't have to walk there myself. How nice.

So I teleport back, and proceed through a teleport that is oddly colored with red door textures. Could this be a hint at something? Probably not. I proceed a bit further, clearing out everything, expecting to find a red or a blue key. Nope, not yet. But I found some blue bars and a red door! I went back thinking "well, maybe I got distracted by the mind-blowing monster placement, and missed it somewhere". I looked for about 30 minutes, checking every little nook and cranny. I also noticed quite a few items that were just outside of my reach. By some random chance I pressed on the bottom of a ledge where some armor bonuses sit atop. My god, there is a lift here! How did I miss that!? You would think the brown rock textures on the lift would stand out against the brown rock walls, amirite?

So I got curious and started humping every brown wall in the map, which was only about 1000. After about 30 minutes, and almost ready to cheat by looking at the map in an editor, I nearly fall flat on my face as I plow through a fake wall. The red key must be inside this hidden teleporter, I'm thinking. I walk through, and I'm sent atop a ledge with a bunch of cells and a railgun. I return to the brown caverns, ready to put my new toy to use, but as I look at all the corpses that are now turning into bones, it hits me. Oh.

Well maybe I could use this thing to start an SOS fire or something.

I return back into the empty, brown caverns, and wander around for another 10 minutes, pushing on walls until a door slides up. Holy shit, it's the red key! I approach it cautiously, waiting for some monsters to teleport out of nowhere. I grab it and a high-pitched whine notifies me that I have my sound turned up way too high. Nothing happens (except blood seeping from my ears).

So now I'm heading back to the red door, except by now I've already forgotten where it was. More exploration ensues and I slip into lava. I don't even get a chance to react. Well shit, so the lava kills you with a single touch. Guess it's time to crank up the paranoia now. One more wrong slip and I have to wander around this place for another half an hour. I grab the purple key, and head to where I think the red door is. I'm feeling pretty lonely at this point because even the bones of slain monsters have turned to dust. My sanity is also starting to scatter like ashes in the wind.

So after some careful catwalking high above some lava, I realize I forgot to get the red key. So I turn around and leap back across a wide gap and miss the ledge. Fuck.

So I respawn and head to the purple key, then to the red key, and back to where I died. I proceed on through the red door that I had become so acquainted with prior to my discovery of the red key, then I follow some more tight corridors. An archvile guards the way, but I take him out with little effort after luring him back into the intersection. After that's taken care of I emerge into a grand hall completely surrounded with lava. The path is broken into various platforms and I expect to have no trouble crossing due to the lack of monsters here. I fall. Fuck.

So I respawn and head to the purple key, then to the red key, and back to where I died. And, yeah, fuck it. I can't believe I wasted almost two hours of my life on this. And this is only the first map. I had a lot more fun writing up this post than playing that horrible wad.

Glitchologteam wrote:
As a side note, I agree with Geit-vd-plas.

Heh.

Anyways, don't get me wrong. I have a lot of respect for people who try new and exciting things, or even begin mapping period, but when you go around with a smug attitude proclaiming how your wad is hot shit (when really it's not that remarkable in the first place), you can expect a fair dose of negative criticism. Also, I am in no way trying to discourage Larissa from mapping, because I think that pretty much any wadauthor can develop their skills and produce quality stuff over time.

But I don't like the direction all this is heading. While Lava World is not the worst wad I have ever played (or even comes close), it is not what I would call a fun coop wad. It's full of confusing layouts, nonsensical progression, 64-wide corridors, "jumping puzzles", mandatory secrets, and instant-kill lava galore. Combine that with friendly fire and this wad is troll bait and consequently not very newb-friendly. If anything, I'd bargain that it's intentionally designed this way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: