ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zdaemon TDM Tournament introduction
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> USA Tournaments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dannyboy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark I recognize and acknowlege your concern. I have removed the cybercrime wad. The only wad that rejects the idea of a compilation is lazarus in which case i've gotten permission from the author. If you still have a genuine concern of the legal status of this wad then please feel free to contact me in IRC to discuss it. If this is the case then all other compilation wads will have to be taken away as well. I've also emailed the wad authors that I could but most of these emails do not work. I have made every attempt possible to contact these map authors. No maps have been modified from their original state and the txt files have been included in the zip.
dewww
God like!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

removing cybercrime is logical, because the maps simply cannot work along the regular ones without more complex hacks like DECORATE weapons. in the other cases asking for permissions is the way to go. some of the wads are fairly recent and their authors still hang around. some have moved on though and while the correct and clean approach would be to not use the "unanswered" maps, it is violated in every existing compilation i know of. i know this myself from trying to contact mancero about editing his mancerx map01.
Thadeuss
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, I think there has to be some sort of middle ground. I'm all for protecting someone's work, but as long as the author is cited, and you've done your best to try and get in touch with them, I think you should be able to use the wad. Let's not forget that maps like D5M1 are altered versions of maps already made (Map01 for example). I'm sure no one went and got permission to make those changes a long with a lot of other aspects of any modded game. I used to feel differently, but now I think I'm more practical about it. There are people who cannot be contacted or sadly are no longer with us, yet we host their wads, maybe even with different DMFLAGS than they intended.

I think as long as the author is cited and everyone has done the best to get their permission, it should be fine to use a wad. I think it would help to outline some sort of ZD policy on this for future reference.
HumanBones
Boner!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like anytime someone creates a piece of work and puts it out there for others to play, it's fair game to a certain extent. In this case, I don't see any maps being modified (a whole different issue that doesn't sit well with me either). I don't see how this is any different than, say, ZDS, which has different settings every single week and I know that the authors of those wads aren't consulted.

It just seems like a bit of hypocrisy to me. Regardless, great map choices and I can't wait to sign up!
sabertooth
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna have to go with the table rule on this one. If it is left out on the table for everyone to play/look at its fair game. I know I don't make maps, but if I did I wouldn't care what people did with it afterward.
Rexnor
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like bones said, I also believe the complaining about this was a little bit too picky imo, somehow there's always people who seem to find something bad in any good thing zd staff tries to do...

I have made some music of my own, some of it has been used on a couple of maps in zd, some of it has been modified, and I didn't care as long as they credit the author.

I honestly believe we need more of this attitude
sabertooth wrote:
I know I don't make maps, but if I did I wouldn't care what people did with it afterward.

Smile
Dannyboy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we made the proper changes to the wad. No more problems should come up. All TDM Tournament servers have been put up. All the ZDS links and password to these servers can be found in the #zd-tourneys channel topic. If you have any questions feel free to pm me on the forums or in ZRC on #zdplayers and #zd-tourneys.

titties.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dannyboy wrote:
Cybershark I recognize and acknowlege your concern. I have removed the cybercrime wad. The only wad that rejects the idea of a compilation is lazarus in which case i've gotten permission from the author.

Thanks for that, Cybercrime was my main concern. And yes, I noticed Chaindude seems fine with it.

Dannyboy wrote:
If you still have a genuine concern of the legal status of this wad...

Heh, well 'legal' is a bit strong. Not like anybody's going to be warming up their lawyers over anything.

Dannyboy wrote:
If this is the case then all other compilation wads will have to be taken away as well.

Well, usually these compilation packs are only found after the fact, by which time it's a little late. It's unusual to find somebody talking in public about making one.

Dannyboy wrote:
...and the txt files have been included in the zip.

Like I said, that's not ideal, as GetWAD will disregard them. Best to give all credits in the text file for the actual compilation too.

HumanBones wrote:
I don't see how this is any different than, say, ZDS, which has different settings every single week and I know that the authors of those wads aren't consulted.

Thadeuss wrote:
Let's not forget that maps like D5M1 are altered versions of maps already made (Map01 for example). I'm sure no one went and got permission to make those changes a long with a lot of other aspects of any modded game.

Both great examples. I guess it all comes down to a case of 'fair usage' and individual interpretation of 'should not be used as a base for reuse or modification'.

Yes, I used to run some really out-there mods and settings on ZDS. I considered that to all be fair game as it was just for fun and only for one night. Not like having Brit10 be known primarily as an FFA pack Sad

However, there were a couple of cases that were less clear-cut:
Doom2reloaded was a server configuration that's not stopped being played since it was run on ZDS. Now, as it was for Halloween, I chose to run it with a palette modifier, so the game is only seen in monochrome+red. The downside of all this is that most people have never seen those maps in colour, which is kind of screwed up.
I personally bastardised some Dwango5 maps for a 'Barrels o' Fun' session. I justified this to myself because there was no way to trace the authors of those maps and because those maps are such overplayed shit that they deserve any evil fate people can cook up Razz
HumanBones wrote:
It just seems like a bit of hypocrisy to me.

So yeah, probably.

The only other thing I want to say (for possible future reference) is: did Collision need to make the selection map into quite such a maze??

Other than that, then I hope this tourney rocks.
Collision
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a reason why I made the map in this fashion. You should participate in this tournament to find out.
Dannyboy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has caused some chaos, and unwanted attention. Now that the problem is solved we can go on with the tournament. I'm locking this thread. It's already strayed off course and I think there is nothing else to be said.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> USA Tournaments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: