ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New rocket jumping wad - 20 levels!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeathArrow
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: New rocket jumping wad - 20 levels! Reply with quote

This wad is designed for zdaemon rocket jumping. It's a very hard wad. A lot of the jumps require some kind of unique technique, and even if you understand which technique to use, it requires luck to do it successfully. If you haven't rocket jumped before, this is the wrong place to start.

However, if you want to play any other rocket jumping wad, I've assembled a compilation of ALL ROCKETJUMPING WADS including rjslab_v4 you can download it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/s1cxnfweq5m4qwa/RJcollectionB.zip
(RJCollectionB only has 2 new wads. rj_laps and rjump_n1_rm3b. There are RJ maps missing, I haven't been on ZD for a long while. )

If you only want RJ_slab (rjslab_v4), download it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/18a53alxbxynxe0/rj_slab_v4.zip

When playing rj_slab, make sure you set "infinite ammo" to true, and disable "respawn items". allow jumping and freelook, and allow level exit.

To actually to beat this wad, consider...
* jumping vs not jumping before firing your rocket
* banking (using the wall to gain altitude) at different angles to the wall, while next to the wall and while approaching the wall.
* different timing of rocket jumps from firing to jumping
* varying your running speed / walking while rocket jumping
* using all obstacles to your advantage
* using different directions to launch yourself (ie, backwards, fowards, strafe running)
* standing mega jumps (launch yourself, turn around, fire two rockets while in the air, one more while you are on the ground, detonate 3 rockets at the same position and time your jump right to launch yourself very high)
* strafe super jumps (strafe jump then fire a rocket in air, and one when you land to detonate 2 at the same time)
* double super jumps (perform 2 super jumps, one immediately after the other) [by far the most difficult type of jump required in this wad]

assumed abilities:

* you can perform a basic rocket jump (stand still or run/walk, aim all the way down, detonate a rocket under your feet and jump at the same time)
* you can do a standing super jump (launch yourself, turn around, fire a rocket in air, one more while you are on the ground, detonate 2 rockets at the same position and press the jump key at the same time to launch yourself high)
* you can do simple banking (while in the air moving upward near a wall, fire at the wall as such that the detonation is under your feet)
* you can strafe jump (hold fowards and left at the same time with the run key, fire and jump at the right moment)
* you have a lot of patience
* you can think outside the box of standard rocket jumping techniques

Last edited by DeathArrow on Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:52 am; edited 10 times in total
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm completely balls at RJ but I will salute new maps for the gamemode. You've made some interesting situations here and I would be interested to hear a report from someone with skill in the area.
Repins
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a go at it and really enjoyed it Very Happy some good maps! very tricky tho Sad but well done! Very Happy
DeathArrow
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys Very Happy

just yesterday i played though level 1-13 and today level 14 just then.

while level 14 is beatable i stuffed it up a bit. there's missing textures which would otherwise point you in the right direction, and there's a set of unclimable stairs. the only way past the stairs is to super jump to the top step (which is luckily easy enough to land on). If i released a second verison i would fix these. also there's a jump in level 10 i'm not happy with. there's a long corridor and you have to super jump to a high ledge on either side. this particular jump has no corners and it just seems too much left to chance.

there's a pyramid jump which is of similar nature but to a lesser extent which i wont fix because it's do-able. inside the pyramid is too hard but atleast it's not left to chance if you keep your cool.

i'd sorta expect comments on these which is why i jumped the gun. i'll mention anything else i notice if i do.
dewww
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i played the first 3 levels, there's some nicely designed jumps. i gave up on the final map03 jump, dunno how that is done. help? :) i'll probably have to skip it. i'll post some runs later i think. :P

anyways, i hope there's not too many mandatory corner/shaft climbs, those are annoying as hell... oh and from what i've seen in the first few maps you might want to bump light levels everywhere. the maps are kinda dim for no reason.
DeathArrow
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll put that on the to-do list. there are a couple of levels that are intentionally dark, so i'll make allowances for them but the rest we be brightened up.

i'll try to make a demo of level 3. it'll be long tho, i'm not very fast. hopefully it's enough to get the gist of how to do the last jump.

Last edited by DeathArrow on Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total
DeathArrow
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i made a demo. it's 10 mins long. and the last bit goes for about 30 seconds lol, sorry. those freaking corner climb stairs...

[link removed]

When doing the jump be sure to get the detonation under your feet by the time you reaach the wall. it's no good to you if you don't gain enough lift. also, make sure your head is under the cieling when the explosion goes off. be ahead of the explosion a bit to push you fowards. after that do a simple bank. I once did it with just 2 rocket explosions, but a 3rd doesn't hurt if you need a push you over the final ledge.

Last edited by DeathArrow on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
DeathArrow
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I implemented changes to create version 2 and am once again satisfied until further notice. These changes are to try and make it more playable, not more challenging or pretty.

changes:
the levels are now brighter
level 20 (erroneous floor height corrected)
level 19 (teleports are inplace instead of climbing step)
level 14 (stairs and textures fixed)
level 13 (quake jump made more eloquent)
level 11 (pyramid is easier to enter and escape)
level 10 (corridor jump is easier)
level 1 (narrow climb jump up top can cross to other side more easily)

The most important changes here was on level 19 and the brightness of the levels. Smile
dewww
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeathArrow wrote:

level 1 (narrow climb jump up top can cross to other side more easily)

good call. that was needlessly annoying, the way any contact with walls immediatelly killed all your momentum and threw you down. :)

EDIT: you might want to edit your text file and remove the parts where worst talks about seeding system for rjrandom. ;)
DeathArrow
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heheh oops Embarassed
yeah fixed
Fluffles
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck on your wad man, need more rjumping action out there
DeathArrow
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for those who are interested, i finished another rocket jumping wad today.
i ment to fix it earlier, some might already know about rjump_n1_rm
well, here's the latest version rjump_n1_rm3 with 5 levels (one extra level than the previous version)

rjump_n1_rm3:
(the fixed version, rm3b, is in the new RJcollectionB.zip)

also some people might be curious about a rocket jumping wad i made earlier than rj slab. it's called rj_bfg

rj_bfg:
[link removed]

with rjbfg, be sure to turn off the respawn items flag. this allows you to collect the bonus points.

Last edited by DeathArrow on Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:48 am; edited 2 times in total
DeathArrow
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

version 3 has just a minor change, but it makes a difference to gameplay if you want to play through all the levels. only level 11 was altered. The north east towers were too hard so I made them easier (too hard as in it's take an hour to beat them, as opposed to the rest of the level which could probably be done in 5 min). The whole level can now be beaten under 10 min.

There are a series of jumps at the towers you must do without falling or you must start over. The top jump required you to rocket jump, then fire another rocket directly at the wall you were trying to scale. This particular jump has a low success rate. however you can climb 512 units without super jumping and it can be made mandatory in some circumstances (a loose example is at the bottom of the pit at the start of masterjumps level 6 to get the plasma rifle). The 512 units were lowered to 256 as to make only a standard jump required.

version 4 has minor changes. various levels have been given bumpy walls for a rocky sort of look and in some places have a noticable effect on jumps. i also tried to fix the level 13 wall running jump. Andy's clone jumps (lv10,12) have been modified into typical jumps instead, but i think i forgot to change textures. many levels have been renamed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: