ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flag Holder Timer (Capture The Flag Request)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fluffles
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Flag Holder Timer (Capture The Flag Request) Reply with quote

I was thinking if it was possible to have a timer implemented into capture the flag. Basicly how it would work would be from once you have picked up the flag it counts up untill the flag your carrying has been captured then prints on the interface right by the message "<name> has scored for the <colour> team".

It would be an excellent implementation as it can then show how fast someone has captured the flag and making a new competitive function for people to judge. It would also help find out which people are effective in picking up the flag after someone has died and quickly capturing it.

This also has worked rather well in other fps games but I think it would be especially good in online multiplayer doom.

Thanks, Fluffles Smile
rygrass
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a nice idea, but if someone drops it then picks it up in front of the flag and scores they time count be like one second?

But i only thing it will work if they person that picks up the flag is the person who scores....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Fluffles
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah mate thats partly the point of it, it shows what actually happened to capture the flag. At the moment it looks as if the person who scored got it from the other bases flag holder all the way to there flag holder.
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a bad idea, perhaps the timer does not have to show when multiple people have shared the flag in one score.
Fluffles
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah it wont evo, I ment it as in if someone has suddenly scored the flag in 2 seconds, that guy is praised for the effort of picking it up from the runner n capturing it. Basicly what happens is it starts the timer (only one) then continues untill the flag has been captured but if the flag has been dropped and someone picks it up the timer restarts itself on the spot making the person who successfully captures the flag known for what he did alot more clearly.
Konar6
Prepare your eyes!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, zdstack can do what you are suggesting here (in a way).
Fluffles
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah zdstack is good for that but I ment not as logs but actually appearing on the client when playing. Maybe using a program such as zdstack with the zdaemon client to produce a certain output which everyone can see.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluffles wrote:
Maybe using a program such as zdstack with the zdaemon client...

Made me rofl Very Happy
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i have read this 3 times now and i do not understand what you want.

you want a timer that shows how long the flag has been in enemy hands?
or a timer that shows how long a single player has been holding the flag?
i cant imagine anyone getting useful information from such a timer in a hectic game,
but maybe its because i dont get it :p is this some kind of online stats in game?
how can i infer something about a players value in the middle of a game from a single number that will constantly change?
do you want a timer displayed in the hud next to the flags?

the implementation should not be a big deal if you can clear it up. we have all the data we need in game so there is no need for external tools.

maybe you can post a concrete example like:

player A picks up red flag, timer is started and printed where?.
player A drops red flag timer, ???
the red flag is lying on the ground for 5 seconds, timer ???
player B picks up dropped red flag, timer, ???
player B scores for blue team, timer ???
etc.

if all this is meant only to print the timer next to the flag messages to get stats AFTER the game has finished
then i think it would be smarter to just add timestamps to every line in the logs on the server and process this info instead.
Fluffles
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Player: Picks up flag (timer starts but is invisible)
Player: Captures flag (timer has finished and is printed where the messages normally are next to the players name)

Just no timer if someone drops the flag on the way. It's only used when someone has captured the flag. From when they have picked up the flag, even if its dropped from another player.
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does this contribute to the game in a significant way? If it's for purposes of statistics, the durations that players are holding the flag can be calculated using timestamped logs. I don't think this is going to make a meaningful impact in the middle of a game. Now... maybe if it only recorded the times it takes for a full capture without dropping the flag, that could actually be meaningful (otherwise it could be the target of "abuse"; e.g. a player kills himself at his flag dropping the enemy flag, and running back to it after respawning for an "instant" capture).
Fluffles
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's not statistics. If you want to know what I'm talking about it's on various fps games especially quakelive. It's on there for people who wanna capture the flag the fastest they can aswell as find out what happened to the flag at the time. For example I'm playing Ralphis Magical Forts (map04) I grab the flag and manage to luckily get out the place without having to distract I then rush to the base capture extremely fast putting down the law and getting a 5 second cap from the other base. It's just a feature to spice up running the flag and making it abit more exciting.

EDIT:
Krawa
There is a limit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be done with ACS meanwhile.
Carrying a flag is possible to check with CheckInventory / CheckActorInventory.
str inventory_item:
- RedFlag
- BlueFlag
- GreenFlag
- WhiteFlag
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Rejected Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: