ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yo Yo pt. 2
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mindwipe
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Yo Yo pt. 2 Reply with quote

This may get insta-locked, but I'm incredibly annoyed that the original thread was locked. Kilgore did a great job at explaining why Ralphis was banned, why he will not be unbanned, and also proved that the ZD staff is doing a good job updating its' users.

But there was some serious progress being made in the thread and I don't overly want to see it end. So I would ask that if anyone posts that it would not be a request to free Ralphis or amp the IDL. I ask this because Kilgore made it very clear that they are not budging on those two suggestions to revive this community.

I really just want to see if anyone else had anything to say. I didn't think it was fair as the community is slowly dying. Everyone on here shares a common interest of seeing this community thrive. So if anyone else has any other ideas, aside from the IDL, post em.

My thoughts:

Regarding new maps not being played, there's no way I could blame server hosts for not hosting new maps. Those who host servers want to host wads that people are actually going to play. If a new map gets hosted no one even tries it. Instead they'll head for dwango5, zdctf, brit10, etc.

I was thinking that maybe there could be some sort of a ZDNews site. Or even a ZDNews homepage that opens up as soon as you log into ZDaemon. It would advertise different games, maps, tournaments. I know when I sign-on to Xbox Live, I'll see some ads on my home page that say things like "Community playdate - this game, this day, this time". That totally peaks my interest. Especially if I see one of my favorite games being played.

You could even have a clan section that shows when one clan is going to play another, maybe a spot to download demos/statistics on the game. This could be a way to revive the clan scene as well.

I also like this idea because if it is a homepage that opens up as soon as everyone logs into ZDaemon, it would go far beyond the forums or ZDirc, encompassing everyone who even uses ZDaemon.

Anyway, its just an idea. I'm not even sure if it's physically possible. I would love to run something like this with a group of people who were willing to sacrifice some time to put into it.
Quiksilver
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindwipe wrote:
...yadda yadda no ralphis or idl posts yadda yadda.....

I was thinking that maybe there could be some sort of a ZDNews site. Or even a ZDNews homepage that opens up as soon as you log into ZDaemon. It would advertise different games, maps, tournaments. I know when I sign-on to Xbox Live, I'll see some ads on my home page that say things like "Community playdate - this game, this day, this time". That totally peaks my interest. Especially if I see one of my favorite games being played.

You could even have a clan section that shows when one clan is going to play another, maybe a spot to download demos/statistics on the game. This could be a way to revive the clan scene as well.

I believe that ZDS will be advertised on the front page, which is basically exactly what you are saying with the first paragraph. Zdaemon sessions are almost exactly like that.

As for the clan stuff, lets get clans competitive again before we endlessly advertise showdowns that never come to fruition. Get the fire going, then we can talk about advertisement of said scrims.

Chain was on to something good with having personalities that are allowed in the community that play the role of promotion to certain services. Some people are good with video editiing. Perhaps certain anticipated games can be recorded and edited by this or these video guys, release highlight reels from these games.

theres more stuff to be done, and plenty of people to help do it. Focus on brainstorming these sorts of ideas/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Solar_Flare
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha I was going to make a part 2 today when I got home but looks like you beat me to it Surprised

But anyways,

Quote:
I believe that ZDS will be advertised on the front page, which is basically exactly what you are saying with the first paragraph. Zdaemon sessions are almost exactly like that.

Yeah that's true but what about the other game modes like 1v1 and CTF and such? ZDS is a Saturday thing so it seems better if there were more than one thing being advertised. I mean, I know it isn't hard to find a server to join but some people still don't know about filtering the servers or know how, they see a bunch of empty serveres, scroll through some 20 empty servers to see a few occupied and maybe just join those, whatever it may be. I dunno maybe some sort of auto-filter can happen when you launch zd for those who haven't found out how yet. It sounds kinda dumb but I know when I first started someone had to tell me about doing that and about lifting that little tab to see the names of the people in the server. I imagine if nobody told me I would have been scrolling through the server list many times a day for at least a year, or till I realized these functions existed.
Mindwipe
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quiksilver wrote:

There's a big difference between advertising ZDS on the ZD homepage and having a splash of games, news, events, new maps, clanwars, show up as soon as you log in. When I say news, I don't only mean news about the new releases of ZDaemon, I also mean news with headlines like "Clan X challenges clan Y, clan Y backs down". It would take a decent sized team to keep this up - a few writers, a server host, a few web designers, etc.

But again, it's just an idea.
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well one thing is for sure. The Clan page should be back! With all the homepages n' shit.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the above are pretty much either in the blueprints, or in the "oven" so to speak. You will see things as they get ready folks: it's not like we have ZDaemon Inc. and we can throw venture capital at it.

Also about locking: you have nothing to worry about, as long as the thread stays on focus. The previous thread had become "anything we can throw out there".
_Beast_
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Mindwipe and others who want to start helping the admins and whoever is designing the new page etc...

1. Clan section - Someone needs to gather the information about what clans are out their and active, and which clans 'the relevant' ones that have came and gone. I think that helped for naming purposes. Maybe even segregate it more and say which ones are Euro and which are American. Yeha I knwo their is Australia and Japan but work with me here.

2. A lil bird told me that The new page (not the splash screen you want) will be kept simple. We should come up with the most relevant information that the community and possible new comers would want/need to see when they visited the site.

3. Your desired splash screen for zlauncher, I haven't used zlauncher in a few years but I think that their is an option for you to browse the web from within the launcher like on a tab or something. Maybe this can house the page with the current game/clan battles/stats you want to display.

4. Previous members of clans, previous clan leaders, and current clan leaders...promote activity by playing. Start a few new clans, I have heard rumors of the rejuvenation of SIN. Maybe if someone has Juggalo's contact info they can have him try to mske an RFA comback. [R] is here and ready for games with anyone. I am willing to help scout out new potential members and name vets that don't have a home currently.

5. Clan tourney maybe....after we get some more active clans

6. If their is a team or committee, see me I'm willing to help, I have and know ppl with resources. One thing I have been meaning to start was OMG and wtfwad nights. We used to do these at random alot but I think if we scheduled times for ppl to show up and go crazy on these wads that would be great. I bet a lot of the new members of the community don't even know about the craziness and fun of those wads.

7. ....still thinking...just brain storming

what yall think?
Quiksilver
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Beast_ wrote:
...Maybe if someone has Juggalo's contact info they can have him try to mske an RFA comback...

lol

Sorry, but that was just funny. Plus isn't juggalo banned?

See... Kilgore just confirmed what I had been thinking in the back of my mind, perhaps we should wait til its in our hands before we can decide how we (the community) are going to organize and work with.

Its like, before there were phones that supported "apps", there weren't any real apps. perhaps we should wait for ZD to make helpful outlets for certain organizations, no?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mindwipe
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quiksilver wrote:
See... Kilgore just confirmed what I had been thinking in the back of my mind, perhaps we should wait til its in our hands before we can decide how we (the community) are going to organize and work with.

Its like, before there were phones that supported "apps", there weren't any real apps. perhaps we should wait for ZD to make helpful outlets for certain organizations, no?

ZDaemon's future plans for development doesn't include clan and player activity. That's decided by the players and the players alone. Also, unlike the apps and phone metaphor, everyone on ZDaemon currently uses the internet. Just because a ZDNews site would not be DIRECTLY linked to ZDaemon at this point in time, doesn't mean it could not be created and amped. All that's really needed is a few people who would be willing to join somewhat of a team to create such a thing. Hell, at this current point in time I'm not even sure if anyone else thinks this would be a good idea.

_Beast_ wrote:

3. Your desired splash screen for zlauncher, I haven't used zlauncher in a few years but I think that their is an option for you to browse the web from within the launcher like on a tab or something. Maybe this can house the page with the current game/clan battles/stats you want to display.

This would be ideal. An extra web tab within ZDlauncher would be the perfect spot to put something like this.

_Beast_ wrote:

4. Previous members of clans, previous clan leaders, and current clan leaders...promote activity by playing. Start a few new clans, I have heard rumors of the rejuvenation of SIN. Maybe if someone has Juggalo's contact info they can have him try to mske an RFA comback. [R] is here and ready for games with anyone. I am willing to help scout out new potential members and name vets that don't have a home currently.

Gotta admit, very surprised to hear that you want [RFA] to come back. Laughing But this is a great point, this is the only way to bring the clan scene back. Plain and simple.
SuperNova
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I'm glad this has been started up again.

I must first take this opportunity to publicly apologize to Kilgore and the staff once again as I feel that what I've expressed was done so in a very harsh tone. Also, I appreciate any and all posts people are making because the main purpose of the original thread for me was to get active discussion going on key issues and how they can be solved. Good stuff, I'll post again when I can thoroughly read through what everyone is saying and perhaps bring up suggestions of my own.
[EG]Marine
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we had shown online statuses of servers and easy shortcuts? Sounds impossible.
DX-Chain
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thrown around the idea of an ESReality (dot) com type portal for multiplayer ZD to various people but so far no one has been able to put something concrete together. It wouldn't even need to be that deep in terms of content, given that the modern Doom community is small. However, it would stir up quite a bit of activity if done right Wink
Thadeuss
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just really love for there to be a clan section to the forums/site. What I'd love would be:

1) Links to clans pages and IRC channels

2) Maybe even a page for each clan that has been established for a while, a little about them, some stats, much like what Envision was trying to do.

3) Clan news with writers commentating on players being recruited, matches, wars etc.

4) Clan war commentating like ZDDL.

5) A separate tourney section for clan wars and tournaments.

6) A section where flaming is specifically allowed. If you want to flame, go there.

Other than that I am really looking forward to seeing what's coming up for ZD soon.
DevastatioN
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda forgot about ZDS since i was busy on Saturdays, but now I'm free again I'll prolly come play Smile

Good point about the launcher sorting, I actually have mine sorted by "Players in the game" so all the servers with people in them appear at the top.

Maybe this could be a default for the ZDlauncher? Sort them the way the user wants... but ALWAYS have servers with players in them at the very top?

EDIT: You know what? We should develope a Youtube advertisement for ZDaemon. Really should.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Doomkiller
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that was the default for ZD launcher? I have it on mine anyway.
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has been for me the last 3 years, too.

On another note, I am intrigued about what new is coming. And I've seen what enVision has done and I am curius to know whether or not it is going ahead? And I'd be more than happy to do some typing for some kind of News page, there's too much crap going on in Europe, I think the community would grow fond of such a News idea if it was written up by a bunch of guys... Especially this side of the pond Wink
_Beast_
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think thats a great idea, like the Drama/gossip news, needs to be rumor proof though. I like what Thad was talking about too. The fact still remains that someone, hence 'US' need to gather and format the information somehow. In the end someone from the admin team will be putting it up but I doubt they have the resources to find all this information.

You have to have like editors and writers for that type of stuff and have them submit the stories. I'm with it anyone want to start developing a plan and layout for such a thing?
Thadeuss
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Beast_ wrote:
I think thats a great idea, like the Drama/gossip news, needs to be rumor proof though. I like what Thad was talking about too. The fact still remains that someone, hence 'US' need to gather and format the information somehow. In the end someone from the admin team will be putting it up but I doubt they have the resources to find all this information.

You have to have like editors and writers for that type of stuff and have them submit the stories. I'm with it anyone want to start developing a plan and layout for such a thing?

I think if a section on the site existed like that it would just have to have some guidelines like no bias posting. I mean the writers would be just like reporters, speaking to clans and quoting people etc. But it could also be used to promote clans that are recruiting and tournaments. I mean I think if you had two people in North America and two people in Europe posting the news that would be enough, and crazily awesome.
LordBritish
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That actually seems kinda neat. Until just recently I was torn between declaring a medical or journalism major, I chose medical, but it would still be kinda neat to do some "sideline reporting" on shit that goes down. Someone give me a holler if a blog/section of the page/ec ends up with something like this, I might be interested in contributing.
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posts that were derailing this thread have been removed, keep it on topic please, any similar issues..please keep it restricted to a private message, not here.

Thanks.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: