ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foxtrot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Titan_66
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Foxtrot Reply with quote

The final release of my new map called "Foxtrot". The map is small, fast, funny. Enjoy Wink

the link:
http://sickedwick.net/wads/foxtrot.zip

special thanks to wabe who composed the music and fixed some important bugs
special thanks to doomkiller who also fixed some things and added the "short stairs".

the screenshots:

[/img]

Last edited by Titan_66 on Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot to thank Judas.wad
Gyrossman
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This map is pure craziness, made by sick mind for sick people. Therefor I gotta say I loved it, even though I played only one game there during which I was mostly trying to figure out where the hell am I and how to get out of there. But this non-stop action with just reckless running around is exactly my taste. Obviously inspired by judas big time, but nothing wrong with that.

On another note, it looks like Titan and wabe makes a pretty good team, I'm looking forward for more stuff from these two (plus DK maybe).
wabe
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you changed sg and cg location? May I ask you why, because I think they were perfect just like they used to be. There was way to climb stairs up without touching cg at all and it was cool. Anyway, I have not tested it with this weapon placement and I think it is too early to say anything just yet Smile

EDIT:
ok, it's awesome Very Happy
Titan_66
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for the last fixes, after some duels, the elevator needed to be fast + boomstick is closer to the wall. Thats all folks, enjoy it Wink
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titan_66 wrote:
I apologize for the last fixes, after some duels, the elevator needed to be fast
Heh Wink
Doomkiller
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a great map. Although I can't help thinking it's missing something, Perhaps it could be a little bigger.

The middle area plays really well. There's so many ways to get in and out and the teleporter especially makes the map really dynamic. I think it was wabe who had the telemissile idea which prevents any potential camping. That was a great addition.

On the negative side, the sg and cg placement is annoying on force weapon switch. I think it slows the game down a little (maybe that's a good thing). The texturing is pretty bad. I know wabe went over a lot of it but that marble texture looks a bit out of place and it could do with a little more detail Wink.

Good stuff overall. I'd give this 8/10.
Konar6
Prepare your eyes!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doomkiller wrote:
the teleporter especially makes the map really dynamic. I think it was wabe who had the telemissile idea which prevents any potential camping. That was a great addition.

That was actually OnFire's idea, it's just a setting on the server. I liked it too, it added even more dynamics to the game, however, Titan and wabe requested to not use it as they want the gameplay to be pure oldschool on this map, so currently it runs on Grandvoid without this stuff.

Doomkiller wrote:
Good stuff overall. I'd give this 8/10.

I give 9/10. Very Happy Great playability, no camp, pure action. The corridor structure around teleports is very sophisticated, it allows many ways for moving and surprising your opponent.

And they made this in +- a single day?! Titan really has some mapping talent when he can make servers running his new maps busy for hours! He is one of a few who can make a kind of "mainstream" maps with ideas from classics like judas, dweller, ..., that are likely to be popular within the general part of the community. And it even made me post into this section for the first time, lol.

Doomkiller wrote:
The texturing is pretty bad.

Gameplay > textures, for me.
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an excellent map that I want to play more of.

EarthQuake approvereth!
dewww
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree the design is super fun, i'd just like to see cg/sg placement treated. the map01-style forced pickups might feel ultra oldschool, but it's a big flaw to the judas-style fast pace. even worse, it's restrictive to the spawning guy who needs to run away quickly -> horrible spawn rape while your weapons switch.

i'd like to see them inserted into wall inclines or something. it's okay to aim for retro style, but not with forced mapping errors. :)
Doomkiller
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This map is not 100% OS anyway since it utilizes telemissiles. May as well turn weapon switch off too.
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing making it a NS map is NS server settings. If it was designed with teleporting missiles in mind, that's fine, but it plays very well without it.

I agree with the comments about the weapon placement though. I think the only thing holding this back from being the next big classic is the smaller weapons being a nuisance to avoid picking up. Then again, I had no problems getting raped by my opponent, so they must be doing a fine job of evading those few pesky pickups.
Doomkiller
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has made an effort to change this yet. So I have:

FoxtrotB

I was going to change the lift so that it acts like the king1 lift. Titan and I agree that it is a little annoying atm as you have to press use twice. The only problem here is that as it stands you can walk over the top and it is silent. Changing it would give away your position. Any thoughts on this?
Quiksilver
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played this with naut, and I give it 2 thumbs up. Its a pretty sadistic wad. If smeone got pretty good at this map, no one would stand a chance. Its layout is remeniscent of a run and gun style map, but with so many turns and gun level windows, its a non stop trap a thon.

Visually, its not detailed to the point where its worth mentioning 3/5
Gameplay, jesus himself would go alittle crazy playing it. 5/5

Overall 8/10
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Doomkiller
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think titan and wabe were more concerned with game play than looks. Titan usually uses entryway textures as his base map as you can see with the floor and walls. Laughing

However, I'll admit that a little extra detail would be the icing on the cake!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: