ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZDS #123/124 - ZDS <3 IDL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: ZDS #123/124 - ZDS <3 IDL Reply with quote

Disclaimer: despite the thread title there are no Jacksons to be found in this week's sesh.

What with teh Christmas craziness and me, Boner and Cuppy all fighting it out over what we force down your throats each week then CTF seems to have taken a slight backseat of late. This week we're going to address that with a rather tasty compilation that comes to us courtesy of the IDL.
See? I really don't hate you guys!

This latest pack of theirs contains all the usual ZDCTF culprits but I was pretty impressed with the breadth of the the selection in here. Not only does ZDCTFMP3 get decent recognition (something that some hillbilly US servers still have a problem with), but it also takes in maps from everything from 32in24-7 to MadCTF. Not always some of my favourite maps, but a very respectable collection overall. They seem to have taken a leaf out of the ZDS book this time with modified drapes and computer monitors too Wink

We're gonna skip all the ZDCTF maps for this rotation. I wouldn't mind playing the MP2/3 ones but we'd just never get through all 32 maps in one session, so it's gonna be a rather truncated maplist. Oh and for no good reason we run this with an unheard-of vox pack which DoorHenge - the guy behind Doom Vacation, ZBlood, Xwing - made. Go Go Gadgetvox! Cool

Game mode: CTF
    WADs: IDL2010H
    clawvox1
    Tskins1a

Maps: 16 (02,05,06,10,12,14,17,20-23,28-32)
    DMFLAGS: 283652 / 656896
    Players: 10 (autobalancing + 4 spec slots)
    Teams: 2
    Timelimit: 9 mins
    Flags: 5
    Skill: 4 - Nightmare
    Voting: Kick / Map
    No team damage or overtime

Date: Saturday 16th January 2010
    Time: 7:30pm UK Time / 9:00 pm EST
    Locations: XXX & Unfy/3-BET/Canadian Bacon

Last edited by Cybershark on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Ultimate DooMer
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: ZDS #123 - baby you and me! Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
We're gonna skip all the ZDCTF maps for this rotation.

And all the ZDCTF lookalikes? Oh wait there'd be no sesh then Razz
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone keep calm and ignore TUD. He's just bitter because they didn't include his ZDCTF maps in this IDL compilation Smile
Dark_Odyssey
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Disclaimer: despite the thread title there are no Jacksons to be found in this week's sesh.

Gee, I hope so ... they would only poke their *Nose* everywhere ...

Looking forward to the sesh ... and welcome another [XXX] barrater with n00bish humour in the forums, finally *OMGWHATHEKLAAS* Very Happy
LordBritish
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zds will be no fun this time. for me since i know all the maps. for everyone else since i know all the maps Wink
The Ultimate DooMer
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
Everyone keep calm and ignore TUD. He's just bitter because they didn't include his ZDCTF maps in this IDL compilation Smile

I couldn't care tbh...zdctf is zdctf regardless of whoever made the maps Razz
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recognize a lot of these maps! It's nice to get a sampling of everything... from everywhere! Razz
Goatface
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There doesn't seem to be a North American server with the wad, but I'm sure it would've been fun. Thanks for the free advertising.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dewww
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: ZDS #123 - baby you and me! Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
WADs: FreeDM062

/shoots self
i just couldn't stand it. the graphics are like from a very, very, very, very bad doomclone from 1995. i couldn't tell my team members from the opponents, i couldn't tell the weapons lying on the floor... even though i know all the maps! :-/
LordBritish
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: ZDS #123 - baby you and me! Reply with quote

dewww wrote:
Cybershark wrote:
WADs: FreeDM062

/shoots self
i just couldn't stand it. the graphics are like from a very, very, very, very bad doomclone from 1995. i couldn't tell my team members from the opponents, i couldn't tell the weapons lying on the floor... even though i know all the maps! :-/

seconded, thirded, fourthed, fifthed...

Red team was all grey with a tiny little bit of red on the chest and a blue on the head. WHY DOES THE RED TEAM HAVE BLUE ON THEIR HEAD!?!?!?!

I was getting pretty raged...

run this one again next week under normal settings? ;)
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...that is a definite possibility if people are keen. I know this week wasn't very fair on the US with the lack of server, so maybe we will address that imbalance.

So a huge thankyou to the Euros for bailing us out. I have no idea how the Euro session itself went - I suspect it did not - but when it came to US o'clock we only had Krawa's server and no players. Big cheers for the Statesiders like Andyman and Malignity who stuck with it and also to the niteowls on this side of the pond who really bolstered the player numbers.

As for FreeDM? The biggest criticisms I had for it were that there were no chat/join noises or music. The complaint about the dullness of the players or the blue visor on them was not even something that registered with me! I don't use Tskins1e for team games for precisely that reason - there are a couple of skins that are stuck with large amounts of red in them.

Code:
<DarkThief> there was a blue spot on the forehead though
<TheCupboard> The blue visor on the red marine kind of threw me at the beginning. :P

Blerf, ok, so maybe it was just me that was unaffected by the Blue Visor of Death Razz
Dark_Odyssey
Dominating!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Euro Sesh DID take place, even if only for a few GGs ... and we had a rare special guest on our side (at least for me ^^) ... the second offspring of a set of parents, whose third and first were Knarrenheinz and, well, yours truly Wink ... Hope Obskuro will show up more often again, now.

The missing sounds were an issue for me, too, but I think the whole affair was great fun nevertheless ... though I gotta say that I presumably would NEVER play FreeDM by own will, if given a choice Smile
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, everyone hates it, noted! I'll certainly never use it for CTF again.

And finally the mystery of Obskuro is cleared up! Always wondered who that guy was Smile
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The remixes of ZDCTF were kind of fun (yes, even the Fortress Collision one). Some were too similar for my tastes but I was happy to see some stuff from other packs well represented. I think most of the players were from Europe through the night. Thanks for helping to fill the server guys. We would have been moping around the whole night with 3 vs 2 otherwise. Exclamation

As for FreeDM, the two bones I pick with it are the player sprite and the small size of the SSG pickup. Acceptable stuff otherwise!
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm down with the plan for a repeat session this week - using Doom2 rather than FreeDM.

BUT, as Cupboard rightly points out, there is zero point in us doing that if we don't have a US server again. So Death or Unfy please speak now or the train's moving on.
unfy
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

last few weeks have been... rather... not so friendly to me.

i don't recall two weeks ago... probably work related....

last week, my server company went out of business.... and was up in the air about what was going to happen to the servers. i pre-paid for a year's worth of service and got maybe... 4-6 weeks out of it ? so... i quickly set up another server from another company this week... and had some issues getting stuff moved over.... i'll look into getting zds setup for it tonight. there's been some differences and a bug in the 0.11RC version of zdstack that i've been poking ladna about... but I think we got most things ironed out... we'll see (has been playing havoc with server settings all week :/)

turns out that the year-pre-paid company managed to sell their servers and data center space to someone else. if the new company is gonna honor the old agreement or not, i dunno.... or if there are gonna be some new fees or not I dunno. fun fun fun Sad
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! Sounds like you could really get screwed there, and even if you don't then it's not exactly the plain sailing you would hope for. If it's too much trouble then don't worry about it just for us man Smile

Death! Where are you?
unfy
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my server should be up...

note that there have been some quirks with the zdstack v0.11rc1 that i've been working with ladna on fixing ... but.. there could still be some screwy settings.
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooffh. I'm sorry it went down like that Unfy. Here's hoping they honor their part of the comittment.
The Ultimate DooMer
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
Ok, I'm down with the plan for a repeat session this week - using Doom2 rather than FreeDM.

BUT, as Cupboard rightly points out, there is zero point in us doing that if we don't have a US server again. So Death or Unfy please speak now or the train's moving on.

At present Unfy's server is running freedm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Sessions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: