ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deimos Revisited

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sniper 109
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Deimos Revisited Reply with quote

Well, this wasn't a very big project, it's only four maps long.. Non the less, I put a bit more effort into these maps than I did with KDiP which is probably why it took just as long to make. I spent quite a bit of time placing the monsters, I got rid of the frustrating mazes, dead ends and everything people didn't like about KDiP.wad.
Now I'll give you a quick summary of this wad. It's got 4 new maps, 2 new guns the machinegun (replaces the pistol) and the rifle (replaces the chainsaw). It also has a final boss done in dehacked. Another interesting part about this wad is full vanilla doom compatibility! So you'll be able to play it on any port you want!

Download
Screenshots

TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you've done looks neat. I'll give this a play when I find time this weekend.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks cool! And if it's anything like KDiP then I'm sure I'll enjoy it. But WHYYYYYY only 4 maps? Crying or Very sad
Sniper 109
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
Looks cool! And if it's anything like KDiP then I'm sure I'll enjoy it. But WHYYYYYY only 4 maps? Crying or Very sad

It's not really like KDiP.. I took a different approach to the monster placements. I recycled the rifle and machinegun from KDiP, only I replaced the chainsaw and pistol for the slots, so the player can now select the plasma gun and bfg. I've also tuned the two new guns and the chaingun. The machinegun now has a dead aim shot making it perfect for enemies in the distance, and the chaingun now has the same firing rate as the wolfenstein3d chaingun. The rifle isn't as powerful but it isn't the "ammo guzzler" we saw in KDiP and now it uses bullets rather than rare and annoying cartridges.
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Map01: There were some nice fights here (those teleporting monsters worked nicely). The lighting was believable. I noticed you took pains to make shadows in that crate room. Smile

Map02: Some tutti-frutti on the lower texture of the slimey sector in the dark room. This one was pretty good design-wise.

Map03: I got confused at the big fight where stuff just starts teleporting in from all sides near the end. I didn't know how to get myself up to where the door was after all the fighting. Other than that, your theme was pretty well done. Very Happy Black and red are ace.

Map04: The boss crashes in ZDaemon.

The maps all looked good and played well. There was a lot of action. Each map seemed to have some form of creative showdown just before the exit. Smile A little thing I didn't like was the repetitious detailing (one light structure copied half a dozen times in a hallway, wood panel indentations with the same texture on map03). One more thing: I assume we are allowed to jump in these maps? I had to use it once in 03 and 04.
Sniper 109
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCupboard wrote:
One more thing: I assume we are allowed to jump in these maps? I had to use it once in 03 and 04.

What do you mean which part of map03? and 04?
EDIT: If you're talking about the giant arena, check for a non lower unpegged sector.
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back to check on map03 and 04 and found I didn't need jump for either one. I'm not sure what I was thinking at the time. Razz
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCupboard wrote:
I went back to check on map03 and 04 and found I didn't need jump for either one. I'm not sure what I was thinking at the time. Razz

Probably that stuff I gave you the other night. Wink

And hmmm, this should be interesting. I'll have look-see soon! Very Happy

PS: Sniper 109: your avatar appears to be outdated!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCupboard wrote:
Map04: The boss crashes in ZDaemon.

This sounds more serious than any jumping issues Sad
Sniper 109
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't my fault if Zdeamon can't handle this rebel of a boss.
ShizzMasteR
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniper 109 wrote:
It isn't my fault if Zdeamon can't handle this rebel of a boss.

I think conversely it could also be your fault for making something that isn't ZDaemon-compatible. I've done this numerous times...it's a constant struggle figuring out what works offline and what doesn't work online, then making the choice to either leave it as is or hope a new version comes out that fixes it.
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. A map with Hexen line specials won't run in doom.exe and a map with a Decorate monster isn't going to work in ZDaemon. The functionality just isn't there, so you can't blame the port.
Kruczyslaw
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuplaoded anyway Cool

http://doom.kruczyslaw.co.cc/wads/Deimos_Revisited.zip
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: