ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZDS #117 - Barrel5 o' Fun!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: ZDS #117 - Barrel5 o' Fun! Reply with quote

People have been clamouring for Barrels for ages and something just always seemed to keep cropping up which was kinda more topical to run, but finally its session has come around!

If you never heard of it before then the gameplay principle is a simple one: all the players look like barrels and the only ways to tell them apart from genuine barrels are when they move or shoot. Standing still in the middle of a crowded area can be just as valuable here as hiding in a corner!

But is anything ever straightforward around here?
One reason we didn't run this years ago is because of the small number of maps in the WAD. So for this ZDS we have some additional maps to play on! They're not exactly new maps though - I picked 10 of the best suited layouts from Dwango5 and pimped them up with a load of barrels. And yes, that does include map01 and map07 Wink
I think some of these will play better than a couple of the original BoF maps Cool

Game Mode: FFA
    WADs: BarroFun
    BarroDW5 (plz link to this file)
    Zvox4

Maps: 20 (01-20)
    DMFLAGS: 349220 / 8
    Time: 5 mins
    Fraglimit: 30
    Players: 8 (+2 spec slots)

Date: Saturday 28th November 2009
    Time: 7:30pm UK Time / 9:00 pm EST
    Locations: [L@P]/[XXX]/ Unfy
RTB
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT! I think I just jizzed in my underwear!!
The Ultimate DooMer
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds rather fun.

although you should know by now that 10>5 :p
Konar6
Prepare your eyes!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTB wrote:
HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT! I just jizzed in my underwear!!
LordBritish
God like!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epic. Hoping I will not have quit again by then :)
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping so too!

Get ready!
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhhh awesome... This will play really differently. Smile Hehe, and Start to Crate on these maps is at best 0:00. Crying or Very sad
AlienDoomer
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: ZDaemon sessions Reply with quote

I think this map is really fun when playing on that server with a lot of people Very Happy
DEATHBR1NGER
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. If this is the barrofun wad that I'm thinking of that players are barrel skins too, I'm adding the nolit pwad to this when I host it! It will make it that much more interesting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEATHBR1NGER wrote:
Excellent. If this is the barrofun wad that I'm thinking of that players are barrel skins too, I'm adding the nolit pwad to this when I host it! It will make it that much more interesting!

Make sure you're not going to be on a DeHackEd collision course and break the server. Wink.
DEATHBR1NGER
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EarthQuake wrote:
DEATHBR1NGER wrote:

Make sure you're not going to be on a DeHackEd collision course and break the server. Wink.

Should be ok since it's been used before with no problems. 3-BET and Canadian Bacon should be set for use for tonights ZDS !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
LordBritish
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was so fun.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh yeah, it really was Smile

DEATHBR1NGER wrote:
I'm adding the nolit pwad to this when I host it! It will make it that much more interesting!

Generally I don't like people messing with my settings, but then I had never heard of nolit. But to be fair I'd probably still have not wanted to run it until I saw it in action. It was ideal for the larger number of players that some of the smaller maps had. Thanks Death Smile

Some amazing games last night with the DW5 maps feeling totally fresh! Having a timelimit meant there were some real close overtime matches in there Smile
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fun was pretty top-notch. Some maps felt kinda rough around the edges in terms of design, but the whole barrel shtick really kept things lively. It was so much fun to stand perfectly still right next to a weapon pickup like the SSG and just wait for someone to scoot past and just blast them. The chaingun was really helpful here since you could spray some bullets into a barrel cluster to see which one would bleed. Smile Ooh, and the rocket launcher was deadly in hallways that were packed with barrels. Now I know how that mancubus feels on map23 of Doom II.
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, Mr. Cup pretty much highlighted all the fun points. Weapon camping was insane on that marble map with the pillars, the pit of water, and that SSG. Every time I went to grab that SSG, there were 2-3 people sitting right next to each other waiting without knowing they were all clustered together. Of course I got the short end of the barrel every time I wanted that shotgun.

I think what I liked most about this was the nolit wad, you could fire any hitscan weapon, and no one would be able to tell where you were firing from, except maybe from sound. So you'd be sitting there shooting someone, and they'd be frantically running around in circles shooting every other barrel except you. Chaingun was definitely my favorite weapon in this session. Smile
LordBritish
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal favorite was getting into firefights with someone, then running around a corner and stopping, only to have them scoot by me and promptly be shot in the back.

Also, the games with 0 deaths were fun Wink I felt like THE GOLDEN SNITCH!

All of this is inspiring a new game mode...

Game doesn't end until you kill THE GOLDEN SNITCHBARREL. Whoever kills THE GOLDEN SNITCHBARREL gets 10 bonus frags. Most frags at the end wins!
[FEAR]Tobi
Dominating!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was quite funny, it'll be time to expand something certain again.
The Ultimate DooMer
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clever, innovative, completely silly and downright funny - more like this please Razz

Not only was it a blast, I think I got more pistol kills in one sesh than I did in the few years prior to it.
DEATHBR1NGER
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I'm sorry I didn't consent with you the use of nolit wad. It was a little something silvertear put together when he hosted barrelsofun and it just removed the fire state so no one knew where the fire was coming from. Imn the future I'll be sure to ask before I change someting.

Also I think I had more fun spectating rather than playing lol
Konar6
Prepare your eyes!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very entertaining indeed! Quite ironically though, I found those maps added from dwango5 & co. had even better playability than the ones in the original wad Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Sessions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: