ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MakkaracaveDM Duel: A tiny 1-on-1 map!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IleKallio
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: MakkaracaveDM Duel: A tiny 1-on-1 map! Reply with quote

One day, I was wondering, what makes MetalDM so great. Well, one pretty neat thing in it is that there's a different weapon from every spawn.
So, I decided to make my own map with the same principle (or something). After about 2 hours work, I present you: MakkaracaveDM!
This is my first deathmatch map, so I hope you will forgive me about some (possible) mistakes, but at least Cybershark and Runk liked this!

Screenshot: http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8024/dm20091024162330.png

About the settings: fraglimit 40, OS settings BUT with respawning items, and that's about it! Have fun Wink

Download there (thanks Kruk): http://kruczyslaw.unix.net.pl/wads/MakkaracaveDM1a.zip

EDIT: Thanks to Gyross, who reminded me to say that this has to be played on UV to reduce BFG domination Smile

Last edited by IleKallio on Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:40 pm; edited 4 times in total
RTB
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This map is decent for some fast 1v1 but I found some parts where a little too cramped. Got stuck a few times which made my opponant get a few frags on me.
GhoulSlayeR
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just took a look at it. Ill break it up section by section.

Theme: As the name states it's a cave theme and it looks like a cave, so you succeeded there. The music works for the map aswell.

Size: It's a fairly small map, maybe smaller than standard duel size, some areas look like they can get cramped even in a standard 1on1.

Details: Most of it is ashwall and most of the map looks like same, it's alright in this map because of the size, but bigger maps, it can be a pain to navigate through it. The light level though, works fairly well.

Gameplay: As the .txt stated, this is designed for UV difficulty instead of NM, so no double ammo and I didn't see any pickups outside of weapons, health, and armor, Making ammo scarce. some areas are linear aswell which may result in easy rocket kills. The Health and Armor placements are good aswell the amount. The BFG seems easy to grab and for the size of the map, I think it should be left out. I'm pretty sure though that some nice quick games can be played out here.

That is my 2-cents on this map, It's a nice map for it's size, but I see alot that can be changed to make it alot better to play Wink
IleKallio
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, I'm not very experienced at map editing, and the RL spawn is a bit cramped even in my opinion.
The BFG area is linear because it's not too easy to get it that way, I playtested this with Runk a while back and it didn't feel so cramped in my opinion, and the BFG is pretty easy to dodge because of the gray middle pillar and other stuff.
This was just an idea to see how the spawns work with different weapon in each Wink
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Ghoul notes, Ilekallio really pulled off that cave theme! Most first-time mappers would either simply do what he did with the base texture/flat and have it insanely dull looking, or they'd go crazy with 100 different textures in a map the same size. Realism was the goal here with a cave that looks every bit as dull as a cave ought to, but decked out with just the right amount of spot lights and decoration which don't feel in the least bit obtrusive (on the eyes or the gameplay).

One serious problem with trying to make a realistic cave (with matching floor and walls) is that it's not an ideal gaming environment, as you can be struggling to tell passages apart from walls. But here that is all cleared up by the inclusion of a respawning Lite Amp which will remove all trace of shadow. I never got around to this myself yet but I would really like to see more duel maps make use of respawning powerups. Think like TLSD2004 Map13, but with a Lite Amp, Rad Suit or Invisibility as the prize.

The weapon spread idea here is a good one. Really liking that you only got the one SSG in here. I'd disagree about snagging on walls, but then so far I only played it with a bot. There seemed to be enough freedom of movement and enough places to duck and dodge behind to prevent players getting frustrated here - it flows about as well as can be expected from something of this size.

GhoulSlayeR wrote:
some areas are linear as well which may result in easy rocket kills.

Lol, there's nothing 'easy' about scoring rocket kills on a map of this scale! Razz

Ghoul's quite right about the ammo though as there's no pickups of any type here! Even if the author intends players to have to work their way around all the weapons on the map then that is excessively harsh - especially for UV! Really the map is not complete without the addition of a couple of clips & shells.

Personally I like maps of this sorta scale - they're just the sort of duel maps that I made - and this one certainly seems better thought out than some of the crap I've seen floated on 1on1 servers in the past. It's no tourney map but it's worth a round or two at least!

Ilekallio seems to have a good grasp of most stuff, so I'm really looking forward to seeing him take on a fullsize layout soon Wink
SuperNova
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually really impressed with this map. The design has been commented on and I think the theme is done well! But what I'm more interested in here is gameplay.

As Ghoul stated, the small space does provide an arena where being killed by stray rockets can become a consistent occurance. Nonetheless, I still don't see that as a problem as there are plenty of places to take cover as well as the big rock in the middle, perfect for dodging a collage of rockets.

When you run into a map this size, you're going to have a bit of a struggle determining where spawn spots would suit best at. I believe you're dead on aside from the BFG and Rocket Launcher spawn. It's a one-way street there, and it can be almost impossible to come out of those areas successful against a player who know what they're doing.

There are a few things you can do here. One involves changing the layout and one doesn't. As the layout stands, I'm not sure I'd change it.
So, I'd add an SG or CG in both areas so that there are some opportunities to do damage to the oppenent with direct projectile weapons, if nothing else. In some senses, the BFG placement and layout around it is good because you do have to pay a price to get it. Having a spawn there is iffy, but adding an SG or CG will spiff it up some.

I agree with Cybershark, having that one SSG there is a good idea. It's a good method to create a critical area of control, but due to the other spawns, it's not the only one so it makes for a fair balance. I suggested adding an SG or CG to the BFG and Rocket area spawns to keep this element in play.

But if the server admin actually does run this in UV, then a lot of that would be negated as ammo supply is scarce and going on a huge spawn-kill run wouldn't be as easy as most maps, but not impossible. This is why the true brillance of the map lies where the SG placement is. By grabbing an SSG and an SG, you'll have basically a full amount of shells for the SSG making a spawn-rape crusade more than possible, but likely. But the SG is placed in a spot where you're open and at risk of taking damage due to the level of exposure in that part of the map. So that is really good, bro!

So yeah, very good work here. It's not flashy, but it's very solid and consistent for the most part. As I said, the only things I'd change are the RL and BFG spawn areas. I may consider even removing the spawn from the RL area and placing it somewhere else.

I'm happy to give you an 8 out of 10 on this project, broham!
IleKallio
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, this is great! Thanks for the positive feedback guys!

Anyway, I've made some changes:
-Redesigned the RL area, not so cramped anymore
-You can now get out of the BFG area from two different ways (still only one way in Razz )
-Added some ammo, details, and some other generic stuff

I hope you will like this finalized version!

Temporary download link: http://www.speedyshare.com/595205584.html
Kruczyslaw
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://doom.kruczyslaw.cx.cc/wads/MakkaracaveDM1a.zip
here you go ^^
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: