ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mix and Match WADs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Accepted / To be Implemented Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ladna
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Mix and Match WADs Reply with quote

In the server configs, you currently have to do something like:

addmap map01
addmap map02

to setup a maplist. However, this limits you to WADs whose maps don't overlap. I propose something a little more sophisticated:

addmap map01 dwango5.wad
addmap map01
addmap map23 judas23_.wad

I know there's already 1v1 and CTF megawads for ZDDL and IDL, but this makes it slightly easier on server admins and other leagues/tournaments. Plus making those megawads was a huge amount of work for those that did it (not me) - which makes changing the maps a really unappetizing idea.

I think Stealth, DevastatioN and I talked about this a little and Dev brought up the point that this would break demos - not existing ones, but ones made on a new map list. Essentially you'd have to add WAD and map information to the demo. I propose, then, that the client be modified to start writing to a new demo file at the start of each new map. It seems like that would be easier and more palatable than changing the demo format, or modifying the client in some way.
dewww
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Mix and Match WADs Reply with quote

Ladna wrote:
I propose, then, that the client be modified to start writing to a new demo file at the start of each new map. It seems like that would be easier and more palatable than changing the demo format, or modifying the client in some way.

wouldn't this completely break multi-level coop/single demos with continued gameplay?
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't possible because of the way Doom is built. Implementing such a thing would be a massive undertaking.
Ladna
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odamex does it, so it can't be that hard Smile

Dewww: then maybe it'd give an error for coop/survival modes.
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mix and Match WADs Reply with quote

Ladna wrote:

I propose, then, that the client be modified to start writing to a new demo file at the start of each new map.

and

dewww wrote:

wouldn't this completely break multi-level coop/single demos with continued gameplay?

Check out point 15. at the bottom of the Changelog.
Demos will get splitted on each map start in the upcoming release.

Now about the general dynamic wad loading request ...
as far as i am concerned Lyfe is currently working on just that.
You guys just have to wait a bit until it is done Wink
Ladna
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Accepted / To be Implemented Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: