ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Survival in a different way

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Tournament Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ragnarok
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Survival in a different way Reply with quote

So me and Nero didnt really know where to place this post, so we hope some people will read it here.

Anyway we played the survival mode in a slightly different way than usual. We played map 32 of plutonia (nohoming), but we tried to kill as few enemies as possible, but still reach the exit. After quite some attempts we perfected our play and finished the map without killing any enemy ourselves Very Happy. Demo for those interested.

Now since both Nero and me are not really familiar with the coop wads we would like to ask people if they have any other suggestions than this map, on which we could try this way of survival (there should be enough health and open spaces so that enemies can kill one another).

Thanks Very Happy
Consigliori
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting, I wondered what you guys were doing in that server!

This is something i've tried to do before in SP but i've really not taken it seriously enough. I can't think of any specific maps that would be suitable but if there are any suggestions i'd be interested to give them a shot.

I've never really been interested in coop games round here because it's basically become deathmatch vs monsters, there is no real teamwork required anymore thanks to infinite ammo and massive rooms packed with monsters. This is part of the reason i've been throughly enjoying survival mode, it actually encourages co-operation instead of just spamming bfg at monsters and teammates.

What you're talking about here takes it one step further and requires real teamwork and patience, the survival element makes co-operation even more essential. I'd be interested to see where this goes, there could be some fierce competition over speedruns etc if enough people like it and if you could find some "standard" maps to play.
dewww
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, pacifist routes often depend on crazy rushes through crowded areas, but that might get frustrating in online coop... on the other hand, that slow, infighting based style you want is not exactly easy to find. :)

try scythe2 map17, or map13 maybe.

EDIT: i watched the demo, heh. hmm i see we're not talking about classic pacifist rules, because hurting monsters for distraction and weakening is allowed. this changes quite a lot! :)

okay then... go for the scythe2 maps. they'll be easy workout, but should be fun. then try plutonia2 map07, that will be an interesting concept... weakening all the mancs so the revs and cacos can kill them... you WON'T have a place to hide, but there's like 4 megas in the middle and loads of respawning ammo. :) the master challenge should be pl2 map26. it's long, linear, but very varied and you'll need lots of different tactics if you want 0 kills.
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! This was probably the most fun I've ever had on a coop game and the idea behind it was very awesome, and very challenging. Thanks for the map ideas, dewwww, I'm sure Rag and I will knuckle down and start hammering these ones into submission Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Tournament Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: