ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hot or not
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Hot or not Reply with quote

Ok so there's a lot of stuff that people make which never gets to the forums as the people concerned don't have an account. Some of it is good, some bad and much is just plain indifferent. It maybe makes it to a server but doesn't get the praise or scorn it deserves here.

Sometimes I see this stuff and I just wanna go on a rant about it, or other times I feel a need to let people know what they may be missing. And hopefully in the more negative cases then we can at least remain constructive and hopefully someone concerned with the product will read it, or at least people will know not to try the same in the future.

So basically we can split this down the middle into 'Name and shame the lame' and 'Hot and unheard of'.

From last night I'd like to draw your attention to a WAD that EQ and I saw called TDMmadness-beta. This instantly irked me simply because it was up on servers just the night after we had '3waymadnessbeta'. At least find an original name!
It's just one single fairly open map with some structures and caves around which seems like it might work well ...until you realise someone dumped a monster spawner in there. So yeah, 'madness' is absolutely right. Who in their right minds would even attempt to try to play TeamDM in such a setting?

Rating: avoid like swine flu.
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha! I just saw this wad! And I thought, if you need names for a wad to get attention, your wad sucks ass. Razz
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we now preemptively striking the insignificant bad wads whenever they get hosted for a few days with bots running around in them? Laughing

How about simply asking the author to change the name of the project in future versions instead of having a thread just to bash it? My toes would feel stepped on if someone swiped a title from me, but honestly, this is one map that probably won't amount to anything that could rival the 3-Way Madness project.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name was the most minor of issues. The fact that the map is like trying to play TDM on Doom2 Map30 is the problem here.
But hey, at least the map is well constructed with no flaws aside from that huge one.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the flipside, today I'd like to introduce you to apairofshoes by ...'a pair of shoes'. We like this guy solely on the basis that he sounds like he should be a member of vd-plas but the deathmatch maps he's coming out with are looking very promising too.

Visually they look quite distinctive with lots of new graphics - although the author needs to fix up some textures to get them to display right on ZD. The maps themselves are a bit claustrophobic and I think 4players should be the limit for most of them. Remember kids, making maps to 'real life scale' is a bad move for a game as fast-paced as Doom. It's no fun to be continually tripping over stuff or bumping into things.
Still, this guy definitely knows his way around an editor!

And to hopefully help him improve his stuff:
Map01 doesn't seem to have quite enough to it.
Map02 is nice, but BFG is too easy to get and the lifts can be a pain.
Map03 is just a really odd layout.
Map04 is awkward with weapons given away too easily and being able to blast people thru the glass with the BFG is unfair.
Map05 is really nicely done but you should probably learn how to make underwater areas be blue.
Map06 is excellent if a little too simple and with a plasma that's too easily accessible again.
a pair of shoes
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah, Cybershark, you've beaten me to my posting of my wad. Razz

Anyway, most of the problems you listed have been fixed so far (like the blue water, lifts, etc. which can be found here), but I'm not changing a thing in Map03 in terms of layout.

Also, thanks for the compliment:
Quote:
he sounds like he should be a member of vd-plas

BTW, you weren't in the asdf testing server. Where did you learn about this wad?

EDIT: It seems my friend and I were the only ones playing with the (unfinished) tourettesvox. Razz
indyroo
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Hot or not Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
Rating: avoid like swine flu.

Well, there's nothing to avoid then! Laughing
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a pair of shoes wrote:
BTW, you weren't in the asdf testing server. Where did you learn about this wad?

OR WAS I? Surprised
On this case, yeah. But sometimes I just grab stuff I see running on a server to check it out later.

a pair of shoes wrote:
EDIT: It seems my friend and I were the only ones playing with the (unfinished) tourettesvox. Razz

Oh heh, 'nother comedy vox? Will examine this too!
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back with another sucker for you! This represents some serious failure and folly by both creator and the server host running it.

I speak of the 'megatrax_mix' WADs that are being run on the new ShadowServers. They're bigass files full of mp3 music... which come to think of it I can get DogSoft to remove as copyrighted content Twisted Evil
The music is the dodgiest r&b you're ever likely to hear. I mean I'm sure there's a time and a place for it, but it is definitely not for playing Doom to. Hell, a well-chosen classical music compilation would be better suiting than this!

Bonus suckage points go to the server host who decided in their infinite wisdom to make these downloads mandatory Rolling Eyes

Verdict: if you do feel a need to waste bandwidth on this then at least turn the ZD music off and give the maps the dignity of a more fitting playlist.
a pair of shoes
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
bigass files

Oh, cool, ass files.... Razz

Well, after listening to one track, it reminds me of an old saying: "Music is like candy; just throw out all the wrappers."
Alfred
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow... just wow.

Thats some messed up crap. Who the hell listens to rnb or hiphop while they're dooming honestly.

and 25mb for a worthless music wad? For shame. this is absurdity to its maximum.
Geit-vd-plas
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big up FOR da massive massive ZoodD' beats JAH. Feel that poppa blowin ya ass all day lon'BIATCH! Serious material dropped on that pimp juice. DAMN! Fuck yya'll haterz, old school new schewl no school rules. The history on music on that wad!

Word up,

Me be Outahere ->
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw this on a lot of servers. But the map is nothing more then a conversion of map01. WHAT THE DEUCE?!!

Check the wad out, it is called Dwango5.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfred wrote:
and 25mb for a worthless music wad?

Oh you got lucky dude! One of them is 48Meg I think? And it's only 6 tracks Shocked
Somebody really needs to learn about bitrates and compression as well as how to soundtrack a map.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: ShadowServers appear to have seen the light and have removed those crappy music packs. They've also added some cool stuff to their roster which you wouldn't otherwise see in the US, things like EDM, SLDM and Onslaught2 Smile

In other good news I played X-noob_survival_beta7 yesterday and it is awesome. I had tried it offline before but that didn't make a whole lot of sense. When I got chance to play it properly I was very impressed.

A number of players have a few seconds to join the game and then no-one else is allowed in. The monsters then start to spawn ...and spawn. They keep spawning until only one player is left. The survivor must then finish the remainder off to get to the next map.

This is the first set of maps to be created specifically for the Survival gamemode. They're well crafted and almost a new gamemode in itself - being something of an Invasion/Survival hybrid. Really great stuff and very challenging Very Happy
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double-post, triple-post, who cares?
Face it, this is like my own personal ZDblog rite here! Razz

We're in the 'hot' corner once again with BlackRoseCTF. Well sorta.

When I first went to check this out I was expecting some crappy clan WAD which wasn't up to much. Boy was my instinct wrong there Laughing
These maps look amazing, seem quite well disposed towards gameplay and there aren't so many of them that it'll piss you off going through them. It's a lot like ZDECTF I guess.

The only problems with it is that while in most regards the authors seem very competent, in others they clearly have little clue what they're doing and so the WAD continues to be plagued by a truckload of error messages which Zdaemon is able to ignore but also a plasma which crashes the game. Oh, that and the fact that the WAD is like 30Meg or something. No, that's not a lot these days but it can seem like an eternity while you're stuck in GetWAD purgatory and that counts for a lot.

I told Dr33v3r everything he needs to do to fix things and now he's asking me if I can do it. Rrrrright... like I don't do enough around here already? What's one more project on my plate? Rolling Eyes

Be a shame if this one never got a release though...
ZERO99
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have seen this one before i think one of the black rose members came to me and asked me to look it over. i remember one ( i think last map ) map it was pretty cool looking. but i never actually had a chance to play them with people i just took a quick look through
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Alfred
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually had the chance to play through a number of the brctf maps. I am very impressed with most of the works on the wad. Definitely looking forward to it getting out into public circulation. Heres hoping they'll get the plasma under control, and whatever else was plaguing it.
HumanBones
Boner!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the server list and I came across this wad I had never played before...It's called zdctfmp. I was wondering if you could give me some information on who made this and how many maps are in it?
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HumanBones wrote:
I was looking at the server list and I came across this wad I had never played before...It's called zdctfmp. I was wondering if you could give me some information on who made this and how many maps are in it?

What you know. I saw this weird pack too. It is just a bunch of wanna be 'epic' ctf maps. I think the author just wanted to try to be popular.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Wad Editing All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: