ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tantrum 2009
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alfred
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Tantrum 2009 Reply with quote

Alrighty folks, I've got something a little special for you. This is my first release in quite a while, it focuses predominately on gameplay and is a 1on1. The theme is sort of dwango-y. Lots of little movement tricks and OS mechanics.

This means:
No jump.
Freelook off.
Infinitely tall actors are cool, but not needed.
No respawning items.
Other OS settings are by server host's discretion.
Generally I like these settings: 725092 / 1408544

Download
SuperNova
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, the map has a decent flow, but there are a few spots that I'm not very big on. The armor behind the fake wall is a perfect example. One can see from one side, but can't see from the other--that's a very big no-no in 1on1 with me as this creates a spot where someone can hide their position perfectly. Even if you know they're in there, you have to put yourself at a huge disadvantage to smoke them out because you dont know where they are exactly.
Alfred
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went over fine in playtests. Toss a rocket into the armor wall and they're out or dead. What other things irked you aside from the fake wall?
Doomination
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plasma lift and the double teleporter.. Could lead to some frustrating teleports. Also, there is only one SSG available unless you spawn on that ledge, but it's easier to get the BFG.. All you have to do is bump it from the outside. This could be bad.
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks ok. Reminds me of a newschool dwango map. Razz But I agree with SuperNova there. It really is a big change if you can't look back through the wall the other way too. Because now you cannot just wait for someone to come. This really is a big change in the whole map.

Funny map01 BFG room. Smile And euhm, megasphere?? Not really sure about that.
SuperNova
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfred wrote:
Went over fine in playtests. Toss a rocket into the armor wall and they're out or dead. What other things irked you aside from the fake wall?

When I said a few things, I meant I had a few different points on why the fake wall was a no-no. And yeah, a rocket would flush them out, but nobody is going to stand there when they see a rocket being fired at them. It's not like there's any blind spots for someone to hide at and suprise you with a rocket--you can see everything from behind that texture. And sure, you'd fire a rocket and flush them out, but in between the time that the rocket is being fired and the oppenent comes out, depending on the position of where the player fired the rocket, the oppenent will either have a clean shot at the player or a chance to make off and take cover somewhere else.

To me, it hinders gameplay. Sure, it is different and not used in a lot of maps, but it takes it too far. It would turn into a battle of trying to flush each other out and the rest of the map might not even be touched as that's the easiest place to go. It would be different if this wall was setup where it didn't have a clear view at everything around it. That's my only complaint really--everything else was smooth sailing.
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not a good idea in such a map with good flow in gameplay. If you leave it in, it really sucks down the quality of the gameplay. Because now that is the center that will be played a lot. BFG and that texture.
Alfred
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, why don't you actually play it and tell me what you think afterward. I've not had any troubles with the wall being camped.

The teleporter does not lead to frustrating spawns... they're clearly marked and its very easy to get into the one you intend on going through. The plasma being so difficult is intentional, and once you've got the window down, its simple and quick to aquire it.

You're all acting like I never played this through, just trust me on it. Its a very environmental map while also being intense and crazy.

Sorry for sounding so arrogant, but I really feel this map does not need any change. Its perfectly fun as it is.
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try to delete that texture and THEN play it. Smile Then you will see if it is better or not. Seriously, never say that, it is perfectly like this. If you know for sure, why you want it to be reviewed? Razz I made this mistake too, but when I did change the map and then played it. I thought, wow, this is better than I thought.... so do not give up on it.

Prepare for some needles....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QyYaPWasos
Alfred
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you're saying spacey, but listen to me dude, its more interesting with the fake wall. You can dispute that all you want, but my opinion and the opinions of all the people I've played with stands: the wall stays.
ZERO99
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of the comments here seems to be what peoples perception of how to map will play and not how it actually plays. i have put stupid shit in maps to see what people do with it. i bet most people wont even notice the wall if they just play the map with out looking at it before.

the heat of battle does strange things to peoples minds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This map is perfect.
Alfred
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha wow thanks EQ glad you like it. :)

@ Zero: Yeah man, thats what I'm trying to say. These guys are saying all these things, but have never played an actual game on it. A lot of hardwork on the behalfs of several talented and skilled individuals went into the creation of this wad. I had a lot of beta testing done to insure that the flow and feel went over properly. Surprisingly, not a single comment on the fake wall that was negitive, just some minor modifications. I really hate to see my testers' ideas and criticisms so heavily frowned upon without full consideration.
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What negativity? what makes you believe I didnt played it? I played it for hours and hours to give some contstructive criticism, I even asked some very good 1on1s and let them battle to each other and I made a demo of it. I studies every move what they did, when they did it and what disturbed them.

All they say is, FANTASTIC map, except I have my doubts about that texture, many time it was just a bore and I got annoying.

And you just get here all arrogant about, uhh uhh PLAY it before you say something.

Ok if it this was true then yes, your a douche. But your still a little bit dorky, I am just trying to help you.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy watdafuck! Did I forget to check the forums for a week? Hrmm clearly this is impossible, so how the hell did one single topic in this deadend section get so much activity in half a day? Shocked

Personally I'm not a fan of oneway walls in any type of DM environment and I can totally see where Hatred is coming from. But I know for a fact Alfie's been playtesting this plentifully so I guess he knows whereof he speaks!

It's interesting though, as normally we'd just get a bunch of solely map-based criticism in here like "ZOMG u forgot 2 align teh texturez!". Keep it up! Very Happy
whiteboy567
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the screenshots!!?? I demand some right now!!!
indyroo
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!! Smile

The plasma is a bitch to get though!
Alfred
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure is Wink
Just learn the window hop, its way faster than trying to run to the lift.

whiteboy567
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking fancy there Alfread. I definitely gotta give this a run-thru tonight. I'll leave my thoughts in here once i do.
Alfred
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty, look forward to your input! :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: