ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Return to Phobos: Celebrate 15 years of Doom

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serp_i_Molot
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Return to Phobos: Celebrate 15 years of Doom Reply with quote

As we all know, today is Doom's 15th birthday. Never thought that I would see the day, most importantly that people still play this great game. That alone speaks volumes about the greatness of Doom, of the genius of John Carmack and John Romero.

To celebrate, I decided to revisit those aspects that made Doom great: fast-paced gameplay, kickass multiplayer, long, dark corridors.... *shiver*

This is the result of my explorations. This map is designed to feel old, yet offers something new to the table. I tried to make the gameplay as classic and as faithful to the original as possible, but I also wanted to add freshness to ground already treaded upon. The result, of course, is a map. Not just any map, but a map that us veterans will quickly recognize. I won't spoil the surprise, get it here: http://www.hotlinkfiles.com/files/2127360_swkyu/phobos7.zip

This map is designed for fast-paced 1-on-1 deathmatches, but can be played with up to 4 people (hehe, have to pay homage to the original, don't I?)

Details:
Map01
Time Limit: 0
Frag Limit: 40
Maximum Players: 2 (or 4 if run in FFA mode... 2 players preferred)
DM Flag1: 38491204
DM Flag2: 34962952

Please tell me what you think guys, I want this to be a very special present to celebrate Doom. DOOM FOREVER!
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm not sure there's all that much similarity to the map your offering tribute to. Plus y'know it's pretty devoid of the 'long, dark corridors' of which you spoke, it's just really claustrophobic. Oh and it has an SSG?

Those tele-spawns weren't very 'OS' either although I liked them. All in all a rather odd sort of tribute.
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a curious map. The whole layout is very scrunched together which makes for some frantic sidestep-shoot gameplay. It's appealing for a while, but I have some feedback.

I think you could have developed your ideas a little further. You have small rocky tunnels, a small slime pit, a short fenced walk by the dead marine, and a tiny green armor room segment. These are all good ideas to have in a map, but they would be much better if they were all developed a little further. Extend some areas so that the players don't bump the walls all the time. I wasn't a fan of those jagged cramped tunnels everywhere. You could improve those by making them wider and actually deleting a few and replacing them with some more interesting cavernous areas. Even if the players can't fight in an open space, maybe they could see a slimefall off in the distance that they can't reach because there is a guard rail in the way - or something like that. At the moment, the tunnels are uninteresting and look the same. You could add torches or light fixtures or something to highlight the different areas in the map as well.

You did effectively link the rock tunnels back into the installation. You have some circular style carvings in the rock which are pretty cool. It was kind of neat how you switched between installation and natural rock formation. The gameplay was nice, although the playing field felt very limited. I can feel a flow in some areas, but others, not so much. For instance, that SSG pit doesn't really flow well into the rest of the map. On the other hand, that brown room with the switches flows well in the corner it's in.

In short, I would consider developing your ideas a little further. I don't quite see what your are paying tribute to, aside from the general idea of close quarters fighting. There's nothing wrong with that, but I would consider some different options when creating the layout. As a player, I want to experience something interesting and maybe novel that isn't so squashed together.

Anyway - those are just my thoughts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: